onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Lee Mills

nodge

40 minutes ago, mr.hobblesworth said:

I remember when he was at Bradford, he got a hat trick against us at Valley Parade. Vale fans responded with that "He beats his wife..." song and Mills responded by holding up 3 fingers to us. 

He also got slagged off in the Vale programme when they came to us and I remember him being unhappy about that.

It's a shame really, at his best (as Santa stated) he was unplayable and he improved us immeasurably. There was a goal he scored (and started if memory serves correct), possibly goal of the year, and the interplay between him and Tiny ( auto correct but I'll leave it) Naylor was sublime. Anyone remember it? Think there was a goal at Forest too that was so classy. He was far from a carthorse.

Was it Oxford away?  I remember playing Oxford away that season in question and we were bloody brilliant and that was the game when you thought, yes, we can get into play offs this season

Advert

I remember travelling to crystal palace to see my mate and go to the game - this was 96/97 ish - he dragged his brother in law along (a football hating rugby fanatic, who pre-match moaned his absolute bag off).

Mills scored an absolute belter from the edge of the box, and at the end of the match we had to drag the brother in law out of the stadium, who wouldnt stop chanting "Lee Mills, theres only one Lee Mills) 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Lee Mills was the best finisher I’ve ever seen at the Vale. Never missed a 1:1, also, as good a free kick taker I’ve seen. Did OK for Bradford in the Premiership, just tarnished his career by playing for Stoke but that was towards the end of his career I guess where he may have been struggling to get a club.

18 minutes ago, Hoppers said:

I remember travelling to crystal palace to see my mate and go to the game - this was 96/97 ish - he dragged his brother in law along (a football hating rugby fanatic, who pre-match moaned his absolute bag off).

Mills scored an absolute belter from the edge of the box, and at the end of the match we had to drag the brother in law out of the stadium, who wouldnt stop chanting "Lee Mills, theres only one Lee Mills) 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Was that the goal where Ainsworth hit an amazing over head cross from near the corner flag? The Palace manager said it was one in a million. He obviously hadn’t seen Ainsworth play before.

4 hours ago, philpvfc said:

Was that the goal where Ainsworth hit an amazing over head cross from near the corner flag? The Palace manager said it was one in a million. He obviously hadn’t seen Ainsworth play before.

Blimming heck cant remember, but guess it must have been as he was only with us for the one season wasnt he 👍👍

5 hours ago, philpvfc said:

Lee Mills was the best finisher I’ve ever seen at the Vale. Never missed a 1:1, also, as good a free kick taker I’ve seen. Did OK for Bradford in the Premiership, just tarnished his career by playing for Stoke but that was towards the end of his career I guess where he may have been struggling to get a club.

Bernie slaven was one of the best finishers at Vale along with Tin foyle & Mr Naylor 

1 hour ago, Nippy Naylor said:

Bernie slaven was one of the best finishers at Vale along with Tin foyle & Mr Naylor 

No way was Naylor a great finisher. Great player but he was one who needed a lot of chances to get his goals. Naylor was one of the worst one and one finishers I’ve seen at the Vale, remember his multiple efforts with just the Stoke keeper to beat?

8 hours ago, philpvfc said:

That's a big shout Phil given some of the strikers we had. 

Don't recall many one on one's as he wasn't blessed with pace so didn't sit on the shoulder of the last defender.

I thought he was ok. Nothing more nothing less. 

8 hours ago, philpvfc said:

Better than Foyle? Mills was a decent finisher but I’m not giving him that or putting him in the conversation with Foyle. Mills had a rocket of a shot on him, think it was against Ipswich where he hit a free kick so hard the keeper can be very thankful he didn’t get anything on it.

5 minutes ago, Guppys left peg said:

Better than Foyle? Mills was a decent finisher but I’m not giving him that or putting him in the conversation with Foyle. Mills had a rocket of a shot on him, think it was against Ipswich where he hit a free kick so hard the keeper can be very thankful he didn’t get anything on it.

Toss up between Foyle and Mills. Mills lacked pace but he was a great finisher, scored quite a few one on ones for us. I think Foyle was a better all round player but still think I would have Mills over any other striker we’ve had when just the keeper to beat. 

23 hours ago, Brian Johnson said:

Was it Oxford away?  I remember playing Oxford away that season in question and we were bloody brilliant and that was the game when you thought, yes, we can get into play offs this season

I'm thinking Oxford as well for that one? The game where Darren Purse got sent off for them for a punch. The only win I can remember for Vale at the old Manor Ground.  Funnily enough Purse joined us 16/17 years later for that short spell the season we went up with Pope's goals!

15 hours ago, philpvfc said:

No way was Naylor a great finisher. Great player but he was one who needed a lot of chances to get his goals. Naylor was one of the worst one and one finishers I’ve seen at the Vale, remember his multiple efforts with just the Stoke keeper to beat?

Agree had Naylor been able to finish the easier chances for us he'd have probably been a bottom end Premiership player? as skill wise he was exceptional and had a habit of scoring the more spectacular ones.  Same with Foyle level wise had he not been a little injury prone could perhaps have played top flight as well?

Sorry I'm going OT as the thread was supposed to be about Mills but good memories

Archived