• OVF player sponsorship 2022

£10 to enter. More details and a link to donate can be found here

League 2 fullbacks who impressed last season...

bobbymanc

Izak Reid

Ben Herd

Damien Batt

Sean Clohessy

Jermaine Grandison

Paul Caddis

Kevin Nicholson

Danny Woodards

I though all them were quite decent last season, Jermaine Grandison being the best i saw. I would like us to go for players like Izak Reid or Sean Clohessy, better than Yates anyway.

Advert:

Izak Reid

Ben Herd

Damien Batt

Sean Clohessy

Jermaine Grandison

Paul Caddis

Kevin Nicholson

Danny Woodards

I though all them were quite decent last season, Jermaine Grandison being the best i saw. I would like us to go for players like Izak Reid or Sean Clohessy, better than Yates anyway.

Woodards? What exactly do you base that on?

Caddis, Nicholson and Grandison were in three of the best sides in the division.

Reid is at Morecambe for a reason. Herd is average. Batt is average. Clohessy is average.

OK. I've been consistantly frustrated by the flack that certain players get from our support. Some of the ignorant comments about Popes contribution have been appalling. Another who seems to take flack without viable alternatives is Yates.

So I go out to you and ask which League 2 fullbacks impressed you playing against Vale this season? I'll be honest, only a few made me sit up and think "yes, he could do a job for the Vale". The vast majority were utter dross to the extent that very few games went by where the opportunity to laugh hysterically at a mistake occured.

Around 40 full backs (give or take for formation changes etc) pull up their socks each weekend in League 2. I'd challenge anyone to find 15 fullbacks who played last season who make Yates only an "average league 2 player".

I'll get the ball rolling; Dean Howell. He was very composed playing against Vale, and caused us problems going forward too. I'd be more than happy to see him pull on a Vale shirt. It's just a shame that he's signed for Fleetwood after being released by Crawley at the end of the season. I bet we'd have had a sniff around if we weren't under a signing embargo, being a local lad and all...

Can never fault Adam Yates's full blooded commitment and enthusiasm. For our division, not a bad full back. My only complaint about him is that on too many occasions he lets attackers get in on the inside and once they are goal-side he's lost. Has given away a number of goals and penalties that way.

Advert:

Guest fitzgerald_pvfc

Adam Yates impressed at right back last season, he is one of the best full backs in this league, has a lot of unfair criticism and in my opinion is underrated

Advert:

Im sorry but Yates is a very poor player if he had a bit more pace he wouldn't be too bad but every time a pacey winger comes up against him he gets destroyed

So, Yates is a 'very poor player' because he's not the fastest? What a ludicrous statement.

Adam Yates is OK up against most of the teams in this division but against the better wingers, players like Wright, he struggles, which might be part of the reason we didn't beat any of the top seven last season.

He also needs to work on his quality on the ball.

Adam Yates is OK up against most of the teams in this division but against the better wingers, players like Wright, he struggles, which might be part of the reason we didn't beat any of the top seven last season.

He also needs to work on his quality on the ball.

You can bypass having average players in a select few positions with quality around them though, right?

Advert:

Archived