onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

FOOTBALL TOPIC !!! Form of some players.....

We are in a difficult position with the current squad - as we have to axe a capable player to make way for a player who can get us promoted. Its easy to replace terrible players in the summer, but it is much harder to justify ousting favourites. This strategy MUST be undertaken by an experienced, proven manager as it is a massive risk that can backfire very quickly. Players who shuffle along playing passive, average football don't get promoted. With this in mind, I would replace Griff with a goalscoring midfielder. Offload Haldane and 1/2 other wingers to make way for (deep breath) ... someone who can cross the ball well *gasp*. Another goalscorer would be my top priority.

Bit early for these decisions, but whilst I agree some wing quality is needed, and a pacy forward wouldnt go amiss, no way should Griff be dumped. The big question will be whether Roberts starts next season with us and how his form plays out.

Advert

We are in a difficult position with the current squad - as we have to axe a capable player to make way for a player who can get us promoted. Its easy to replace terrible players in the summer, but it is much harder to justify ousting favourites. This strategy MUST be undertaken by an experienced, proven manager as it is a massive risk that can backfire very quickly. Players who shuffle along playing passive, average football don't get promoted. With this in mind, I would replace Griff with a goalscoring midfielder. Offload Haldane and 1/2 other wingers to make way for (deep breath) ... someone who can cross the ball well *gasp*. Another goalscorer would be my top priority.

I agree, we do need to offload some off the better players.

With reluctance I'd probably look to replace GR over Griff.

I'd definately get rid of Haldane. Not a bad player but we could get someone better I feel.

I'd get rid of Justin Richards and sign Pope, plus another proven goal-scorer.

I'd get rid of Rigg if we're not going to use him.

I expect money to paid on both wages and transfer fees this summer for quality replacements.

Its pointless comparing gannon to grews record as no one wanted him as permanent manager. Its only the gannon situaion that made people relieved he is in charge. If the board could have got away with appointing him originally on the cheap, and one of the old boys, they would have. We need an new manager full stop.

As for the form, I hoped for a big clear out last sumer, but micky signed em up, though credit to him he got them playing.

However I would quite happily clear out haldane, taylor, dodds, J.Rico, rigg, martin, and a few others for next season.

Unless something changes drastically, we wont be in a good position as a club next year.

Guest TommyMac
I looked for an existing thread to post this in but there doesn't appear to be one - even the Chesterfield post match thread has become a debate / slanging match about the running of the club!! So, I'm starting this thread to discuss FOOTBALL MATTERS, specifically the form of some players.

I'm sooooo glad Gannon's gone it's untrue but I fear he's left us with a bit of an unexpected legacy in so much as the current form (last 3-4 games or more) of some players has been well below where it was before Christmas and I think this has had a lot to do with why we won only one of the three recent home games and also lost at Chesterfield yesterday. I was expecting an improvement in personal form across the board on Gannon's departure but it doesn't seem to have happened.

I'm particularly concerned at Stuart Tomlinson, Lee Collins, Kris Taylor and Marc Richards.

Tomo's kicking seems to be all over the place and he also isn't commanding his area and taking catches as well as he was. He was also a bit in 'no man's land' for the first goal yesterday, although he could hardly be blamed for the goal.

Collins really needs to look at his performance on that one, he was so easily beaten to the header at the back post by Lester it was untrue. Watch the tv replay, he hardly made an effort to jump. Why? I honestly thought Collins was going to develop into a really good player but the more this season's progressed the less impressed I've been by him. He's started making fundemental mistakes, like not putting the ball into touch, losing possession and ultimately a goal (eg, Stevenage at home) and has missed crucial tackles on occasion where he didn't used to. Grew and Horsefield need to find out what's up with him and put it right.

Kris Taylor is another one who is getting caught defensively and for some reason is making some poor decisions during games. A shining example was yesterday when he took a free kick very quickly, trying to hit a 60 yard ball which was intercepted and instantly put us on the panic defensive. It was ultra ambitious and totally unecessary and turned our advantage to the opposition's advantage. He has the ability to deliver a great ball into the box when coming forward but he often lapses in concentration defensively, something he needs to put right. Just focus on the basics and doing things right, Kris.

Finally, Marc Richards. Before Adams came I always thought he was a capable but 'lazy' player who would only put himself out if it suited him. Adams had him sorted, he got much fitter, was a lot sharper and put himself about more. Gannon seemed to keep that going but the minute Gannon got the bullet we've seen the old Richards return, strolling about the pitch waiting for the ball to come to him. He's been like this for the past four games and I get the impression he thinks he's untouchable with Grew and the Horse being in 'temporary charge'. He needs somebody on his case and to know if he doesn't put enough effort in he'll be dropped; an approach that would be unpopular but that I think needs to be taken to get him to earn his wages. He's probably the most capable player at the club but he really does drive me crazy sometimes because I don't think he always gives what he's got.

All in all I came away from the ground yesterday feeling that if we hadn't suffered the upset we have since Adams' desertion, or if the club had appointed a better man than Mad Gibbering Jimbo, we'd have got at least a point there because even with the problems we have for long spells we looked quite comfortable without really threatening.

Irrelevant of what's going on off the pitch from a football perspective our next managerial appointment is absolutely crucial.

I agree with all of the above although Kris Taylor's defensive frailties are nothing new.

I am particularly at a loss to understand the general lack of movement off the ball throughout the whole team. Too often our midfield or back four are lumping balls forward to static targets in the hope they can control on their chest and lay off to someone close. I'm sure opponents love to defend against vale because they don't have to move to mark our forwards. On the odd occasion when we beat a man in the middle of the pitch and run at the opposition centre backs, there is no forward movement off the ball and no options for the man in possession.

Finally I get really ****** off when we have a free kick or corner and a chance to put the ball into the box without being closed down only to invite pressure by playing a 2-3 yard pass to someone who then attempts a cross while being chased down by an opponent. I think yesterday we had a corner that was played short for a vale player to stop the ball and the corner taker to then cross it only for the corner taker to be flagged offside. What a waste and for what, a slightly different angle for the cross?

I agree with all of the above although Kris Taylor's defensive frailties are nothing new.

I am particularly at a loss to understand the general lack of movement off the ball throughout the whole team. Too often our midfield or back four are lumping balls forward to static targets in the hope they can control on their chest and lay off to someone close. I'm sure opponents love to defend against vale because they don't have to move to mark our forwards. On the odd occasion when we beat a man in the middle of the pitch and run at the opposition centre backs, there is no forward movement off the ball and no options for the man in possession.

Finally I get really ****** off when we have a free kick or corner and a chance to put the ball into the box without being closed down only to invite pressure by playing a 2-3 yard pass to someone who then attempts a cross while being chased down by an opponent. I think yesterday we had a corner that was played short for a vale player to stop the ball and the corner taker to then cross it only for the corner taker to be flagged offside. What a waste and for what, a slightly different angle for the cross?

Agree with this.

We are too static...

We play the ball up to the big guy when we need a little un, with pace to spin off him, not another big un...

Our front 2 really need bi-line crosses not half way line crosses.

Quite agree with SOTT. Also nice to read about football.

After the first 20 minutes onslaught by them I thought we controlled the first half without really threatening.

The second half was a stroll for them though. Thought we were fairly beaten on the day.

I do get fed up of our midfielders not supporting the forwards though, surely Griff could get a few if he got closer to goal before skewing it off his toe?

The lack of crosses into the box is frustrating too.

I think that the team need a boss who is a boss and not a mate. In Adams we probably had that, I doubt Gannon does mates and with Grew, well I just don't know.

I think we're looking very much like a midtable side at the moment.

Spot on! a sensible post on OVF - as rare as rocking horse droppings these days. The players are the ones to focus on - its there efforts (or lack of em) that will determine how our season ends. Its pretty obvious some have used the circus goings on around them as an excuse to take there foot off the gas at a crucial time in the season.

The managerial appointment is the most crucial thing at the Club - unfortunately V2001 have proven over the years they are w@nk at it. Get someone in to oversee the whole process this time from interveiws to short list to selection (someone who knows something about football).

With all the turmoil behind the scenes Grewy is the best short term appointment after all a new man couldn't bring anyone in anyway. I feel that the B&G campaign is an excuse, yesterday's support was brilliant and we out sang the Champions elect in their own back yard.

We offer support other clubs and managers dream of.

We will fail this season simply because our 'goal supply line' is weak,what we need for next season is a quality wideman who will send over decent crosses. At the present if the opposition blank out Loft and Roberts we are out of it. Rob Taylor and Haldane are not consistent and their contribution is minimal. Scoring goals has been our problem for several seasons now. Oh for a board who will invest a little cash to bolster what is without doubt an otherwise good squad.

on the subject of gettin rid of players n bringin in new ones i think we shud bring in a defender n try kris taylor out as a winger cus he can put a cross in, hes scored from out wide and hes good at goin forward but he can be a bit shakey in defence

I'm so glad to be talking football again.........

Some interesting points made. Someone commented on Haldane, saying he was 'not a bad player, but ...' I didn't comment on him in my original post because I was looking at players with a drop off in form because, IMHO, Haldane just isn't good enough. He flatters to deceive because he has some pace but he rarely beats his man and rarely delivers a decent cross, not much good for a winger.

One thing that really struck me yesterday - and has in a few games this season - is how much better the quality of balls into the box are from our opposition than they are from us. It's no surprise we're such low scorers when the strikers have poor service.

Archived