onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Robbing the blind to pay for PVFC.

deantaberner

Advert

Personally Speaking: Robbing the Blind to pay for………PVFC?

by Mike Barnes

March 5, 2012

Stoke-on-Trent City Council Labour council have blown apart their heartfelt excuses displayed for the cameras at last weeks council meeting.

6 years ago I was part of the Labour Group that agreed the £2.25m loan. I say agreed, it was actually bounced upon us.

I remember it well, sitting in the Labour Group meeting with a freshly printed off agenda for the full council meeting reading for the first time with absolutely no prior warning or notice – that we were going to give them this loan. Many of us were sceptical. We recognised the issues but just thought we were throwing hard earned taxpayers money down the drain. There weren’t enough safe guards to protect our interests. Politically, we had been shafted – the loan already in the public domain – it would have been political suicide to reject the proposal. Let me tell you, there were a lot of anger labour councillors that left that meeting.

6 years later and hey-ho – hardly anything paid back by the football club and now on the verge of disappearing altogether along with our money, council tax money.

But it get better! Just one week after feigning regret at cutting care homes and services, just one week after taking bus passes off the blind and disabled suddenly they can find half a million quid to throw at Port Vale again?

My granddad would say: “It’s no use flogging a dead horse.”

Equally as sour is the smoke and mirrors attitude towards this issue, with little by way of facts and information coming out of our council on exactly what it is doing with OUR money.

Just three weeks ago, in the glare of its own webcast cameras, the Cabinet member for finance, Sarah Hill, told the world (and me) that everything was honky dory – payments up to date and “confident” the loan would be paid on time to the original agreement.

And we can trust what they say?

I am sure the delegation represent the blind over the council getting rid of their bus passes will rest easier in their beds knowing that their sacrifice help keep Port Vale a float that few months longer.

I was waiting for this reaction, and to be honest i can see their point of view as i am very surprised the Council want to pay more money out towards Vale. I have felt for years that the Council have always only wanted 1 club in Stoke-on-Trent but they have laid that to rest for me a little now :)

No one seems to have mentionEd that they built a stadium for Stoke and the sold it to them for less than it was worth.

On that basis shouldn't we have this Loan written off, at least we have paid SOME interest and part of the total.

If I recall didn't Stoke get a huge discount on the actual cost?

Don't forget some numpties lost us ( the local taxpayer) around £2 million ti the Icelandic banks.

Mind we have just had some of that repaid I think.

Dear Mike

Why did the word "Community" get dropped from Stoke's corporate box?

Where did the Vale market go?

How much money did the council spend on Stoke City?

etc etc etc

I do agree that the council shouldn't spend any money on football clubs - it isn't an essential service and council taxes shouldn't subsidise a loss making venture.

Dear Mike

Why did the word "Community" get dropped from Stoke's corporate box?

Where did the Vale market go?

How much money did the council spend on Stoke City?

etc etc etc

I do agree that the council shouldn't spend any money on football clubs - it isn't an essential service and council taxes shouldn't subsidise a loss making venture.

Can i use that to post?

Personally Speaking: Robbing the Blind to pay for………PVFC?

by Mike Barnes

March 5, 2012

Stoke-on-Trent City Council Labour council have blown apart their heartfelt excuses displayed for the cameras at last weeks council meeting.

6 years ago I was part of the Labour Group that agreed the £2.25m loan. I say agreed, it was actually bounced upon us.

I remember it well, sitting in the Labour Group meeting with a freshly printed off agenda for the full council meeting reading for the first time with absolutely no prior warning or notice – that we were going to give them this loan. Many of us were sceptical. We recognised the issues but just thought we were throwing hard earned taxpayers money down the drain. There weren’t enough safe guards to protect our interests. Politically, we had been shafted – the loan already in the public domain – it would have been political suicide to reject the proposal. Let me tell you, there were a lot of anger labour councillors that left that meeting.

6 years later and hey-ho – hardly anything paid back by the football club and now on the verge of disappearing altogether along with our money, council tax money.

But it get better! Just one week after feigning regret at cutting care homes and services, just one week after taking bus passes off the blind and disabled suddenly they can find half a million quid to throw at Port Vale again?

My granddad would say: “It’s no use flogging a dead horse.”

Equally as sour is the smoke and mirrors attitude towards this issue, with little by way of facts and information coming out of our council on exactly what it is doing with OUR money.

Just three weeks ago, in the glare of its own webcast cameras, the Cabinet member for finance, Sarah Hill, told the world (and me) that everything was honky dory – payments up to date and “confident” the loan would be paid on time to the original agreement.

And we can trust what they say?

I am sure the delegation represent the blind over the council getting rid of their bus passes will rest easier in their beds knowing that their sacrifice help keep Port Vale a float that few months longer.

The Council throw far more of the taxpayers money down the drain with ridiculously, 'un-earned', over inflated wages to incompetent people.

**** wipe.

Port Vale means alot to thousands in this area so suck it.

(That was to he who wrote it not the poster)

Archived