onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Brexit again...

Davebrad

See your just showing yourself up, research what people say before you make an opinion. They are the 3rd Biggest UK firm at £105BN in value, so 3rd biggest in market value.

https://www.ft.com/content/1f3f4c2e-281f-11e8-b27e-cc62a39d57a0

Financial Times are hardly likely to get a fact like that wrong are they.

Why will they remain in the UK stock exchange, when they're moving their corporate base to Holland? Can you explain that one for us?

You Brexit voting lot genuinely believe people who voted remain want Brexit to be a failure and the UK to become a disaster don't you. Your full of assumptions, whereas people voting remain appear to be able to present a bit more logic and reasoning behind their reasons.

I want Brexit to be a success, but at the moment there is absolutely nothing to suggest it will be. We've not been told what direction we're going in, how we can make it work, what we can do - nothing. Because they don't even know themselves.

*Turns out they will be listed as one legal entity in Holland and therefore will pay corporate tax to them, not the UK. They are requesting special circumstances to keep them in the FTSE for complex investment reasons! Still no guarantee, either way if they do appear in the FTSE it will only benefit them and not the UK as they won't be contributing to our economy in the same way they were before.

Sorry, your link doesn’t work unless you subscribe but very where I have looked they are no way near the 3rd biggest UK company, if you can call them a UK company as they were Anglo/Dutch even before they decided to move their HO to Rotterdam

https://www.economicshelp.org/finance/top-10-companies/

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_largest_European_companies_by_revenue

Advert

the trouble if we can call it that, was even us brexiteers didn't believe we would win, and there was no plans set. The trouble now is that remainers keep bringing up arguments and statistics against brexit... and can't or wont accept they lost the referendum, we are now all brexiteers and should be using all our energy getting the best outcome for us all...

What energy should I be using and what should I do to get the best outcome? This Brexit business is being negotiated by a government I absolutely detest and I can spit further than I trust them. Of course we'll bring up statistics, arguments and evidence Brexit will be a failure. Why don't you constructively reply to Remainer's posts and argue against their points, that energy you spend may influence others to be pro-brexit?

We didn't lose. Britain lost. We all lose.

Sorry, your link doesn’t work unless you subscribe but very where I have looked they are no way near the 3rd biggest UK company, if you can call them a UK company as they were Anglo/Dutch even before they decided to move their HO to Rotterdam

Phil, of course they're not British. But their headquarters were based here. There are hardly any British firms that generate a value of + £100bn. Most big companies in the UK are foriegn owned. In fact, 1 in 4 large business (250+ staff) are foriegn owned in uk. Most of which after the US are owned by nationals of EU member states... So this is not the first instance of relocation to the EU we will see, for a fact.

They are 3rd, it's widely reported. Your not looking at it based on market value. Ranked

13th on the FTSE. Whatever way you look at it Phil, it's bad news for us mate.

It is bad news, as it is when any large company leaves the UK and I’m not going to argue wether they are or not the 3rd largest company in the UK but i don’t think you can blame Brexit on Unilever choosing Rotterdam over London in this case. I agree there may be other companies that choose to base themselves in Europe over the UK because of Brexit going forward, that is inevitable but there will also be companies that move to the UK because of Brexit also. We will have to wait and see, the UK will be a very attractive market for anyone looking to locate here and will still be a good hub to deal with the rest of Europe.

It is bad news, as it is when any large company leaves the UK and I’m not going to argue wether they are or not the 3rd largest company in the UK but i don’t think you can blame Brexit on Unilever choosing Rotterdam over London in this case. I agree there may be other companies that choose to base themselves in Europe over the UK because of Brexit going forward, that is inevitable but there will also be companies that move to the UK because of Brexit also. We will have to wait and see, the UK will be a very attractive market for anyone looking to locate here and will still be a good hub to deal with the rest of Europe.

Look into the disclosure agreements the Govt. has gotten companies to sign that's been reported recently. The chances are publicly blaming Brexit and causing more uncertainty in the business environment (during negotiations) will have consequences for them. Don't believe everything at face value.

You really need to explain your points, you make bold statements with nothing to back them up. Why is the UK going to be attractive market, when you dont even know what deal we are getting or the nature of any deal we will get? Your just saying things, without any logic behind to back it up.

Same can be said about yourself. The UK is the 2nd largest market in Europe, it imports more from the EU than any other country, we have a very good trading relationship with the US and India, one of the largest and the most up and coming market in the world, we have the 2nd biggest banking sector in the world. Many companies want to come and base themselves in the UK as they will after Brexit. Yes, the uncertainty of how the outcome will be is not good for business or the value of the pound but that was always going to happen until things are reolved.

You can be gloom and doom and say that we are not going to be an attractive market to deal with but one thing is guaranteed, the EU which is already a crumbling entity will be a hell of lot weaker without the UK.

When the UK joined the common market in 1973 the sales tax was replaced by VAT a tax that the French had been using since 1954 which was a condition of joining & one thing that a lot of people DONT know is under EU rules it can only go up it CANNOT be reduced.

When the UK joined the common market in 1973 the sales tax was replaced by VAT a tax that the French had been using since 1954 which was a condition of joining & one thing that a lot of people DONT know is under EU rules it can only go up it CANNOT be reduced.

On the VAT wiki page...In July 1974,*Labour*Chancellor*Denis Healey*reduced the standard rate of VAT from 10% to 8% but introduced a new higher rate of 12.5% for petrol and some luxury goods.[5][8][10]*In November 1974, Healey doubled the higher rate of VAT to 25%.[8]*Healey reduced the higher rate back to 12.5% in April 1976.[8][10][11]

There are quite a few instances on the wiki page where it has been reduced even as recently as 1998. I guess you have been reading fake news.

What energy should I be using and what should I do to get the best outcome? This Brexit business is being negotiated by a government I absolutely detest and I can spit further than I trust them. Of course we'll bring up statistics, arguments and evidence Brexit will be a failure. Why don't you constructively reply to Remainer's posts and argue against their points, that energy you spend may influence others to be pro-brexit?

We didn't lose. Britain lost. We all lose.

We didn't lose, Britain didn't lose, both your statement and mine wont be settled for years... but your last sentence in the above paragraph shows your still thinking as a remainer, we voted, the result being out, we are leaving in march 2019, for good or bad. Why try to change brexiteers minds, whats the point? its as bad as parliament its still divided, they should be as one, Labour are just arguing against it to gain votes, SNP are trying to gain votes and go for independence, the DUP are after more power in N.I.

If everyone in the country and govt,had accepted the result in 2016, the govt. would have been able to show the eu a united front, and get on with our domestic problems ie NHS, instead of all factions arguing amongst them selves...

If in the remainers ideal world we had another ref. and I would grant you the remainers would probably win(because of our infighting the eu have had a head start on making us suffer, throwing difficulties in our path), what then would the brexiteers start arguing to try for another referendum?. That's the reason in a democracy you either vote for or against a proposal and abide by the decision...

Which laws in particular did the EU impose on us that you don't like?

sale of bright halogen lights being banned, replaced by pale costly LEDs. Effiecient vacuum cleaners being banned, replaced by half hearted cleaners that dont have enough power to pick up dust. Hairdryers likewise. Marigold gloves being price hiked as EU dont like them. Recycle bins being forced on us, as is the right of free movement, whether we like it or not, forced to buy goods incl china etc that are not made in UK just because it is cheaper,etc etc etc

sale of bright halogen lights being banned, replaced by pale costly LEDs. Effiecient vacuum cleaners being banned, replaced by half hearted cleaners that dont have enough power to pick up dust. Hairdryers likewise. Marigold gloves being price hiked as EU dont like them. Recycle bins being forced on us, as is the right of free movement, whether we like it or not, forced to buy goods incl china etc that are not made in UK just because it is cheaper,etc etc etc

All you are doing through that statement is demonstrating your lack of knowledge.

LED's are much more energy efficient and safer than halogen lamps, as a builder I've fitted them by choice for years and will continue to do so. They are more versatile than halogens, come in any colour and shade and are revolutionising lighting in a positive way.

Vacuums with a less power consuming lower wattage motor are more energy efficient than old fashioned motors but are just as efficient at cleaning and have no less suction. Suction is the function of the vacuum created. Even anti-EU Dyson will tell you that. Same for hairdryers.

Marigold gloves? Don't know the details.

Recycle bins, surely a good thing or would you prefer to wallow in a world of even greater waste?

Free movement of EU citizens; personally I like it but I can understand xenophobes might feel threatened by Johnny Foreigner visiting the neck end.

We are not 'forced' to buy goods from anywhere. Name some, with facts not fantasy or conjecture to back up your point.

None of those rules are 'silly', the only thing silly there is the misleading writings of the dreadful comic that tries to pass itself off as a newspaper, the Daily Express. There's more accurate reporting in the Beano.

Archived