onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Time for a Players Only Meeting

QuakerVale

I think, given the recent performances of the squad (at all levels) and the frustrations illustrated by coaches, it is necessary for the players to hold a players-only meeting to sort out this mess.

Two of the most important elements in having club success are communication and trust. I think most observers of this squad would acknowledge these have been sorely lacking in the squad. If there is no trust among all 11 men on the pitch, communication inevitably breaks down, mistakes get made, and the results reflect that. Placing blame on the feet of the back 3 (or 4...or 5), on the GK, or on the lack of attacking pace does nothing but sow further discord between the players. Coaches and managers can talk as much as they please, but it ultimately comes down to the players to perform on the pitch, and when the trust in your fellow Valiant is not there, no club can succeed.

I would like to see Pope take charge of this, as he has seen more than most on the pitch, and bleeds Port Vale more than most. Alternatively, a player like Nathan Smith can speak to the younger Valiants and relate to the struggles that come with acclimating to the Football League and the dedication required to break into first-team football. Lastly, and this is something I think could truly galvanize the team, I would love to see this team rally around Adam Yates. Of course his health and rehabilitation come first, but here's another player who has experienced his fair share of ups and downs with Port Vale, and I believe his voice could provide that spark to galvanize the back line.

Management is what it is; unfortunately, the players cannot control what goes on at the upper levels of the club. Coaches can try to sort out who plays where, and what tactics to employ, but they aren't the ones who tip off the matches and play the 90. The players need to start trusting one another again. Pope, Smith, Yates...these are the voices that could galvanize this rag-tag bunch and provide the stability needed to ensure this season ends on a positive note and begin to lay the foundation for the next era of Valiant success. I still believe.

Advert

Something like this may well have already taken place, I'm sure I'd want to do it if I were a player and I've known it to happen many times in the workplace at various places I've worked to sort out ways of performing better and getting a better result, not necessarily related to work practices / management disputes, trade union meetings, etc. It can be very effective and is certainly good for team building.

I don't think this will make a difference because at the end of today, the players individually and as a group are just not good enough. That's the sad truth.

Luckily for us Barnet look doomed so we just need 1 more team to be worse than us...fingers crossed

Sent from my iPad using onevalefan

If the older more experienced pros are constantly having a go at the younger ones then that isnt good for team morale .

Id expect them to be encouraging the younger ones and driving them on .

Thats why i wanted Bikey at centre half this season to help Smith become a better player as he is no leader .

I agree aplayers meeting would be beneficial .

Also one where Rudgey asks the players who wants to play and who doesnt because as supporters id rather see 11 up for it players who want to play than 4 or 5 which since the harsh pen v Notts County as being the case .

UTV

Sent from my [device_name] using the http://onevalefan mobile app

Correct mario

Wrong move in my world it seems like it would be undermining aspin and Co.

They’re in charge for a reason trouble with today is players after been told off want to sulk and underperform for the manager instead of using it as a catalyst to try better and prove the manager wrong

Sorry but my view whether right or wrong

Sent from my iPhone using onevalefan

I can certainly understand that thinking, but I'm not so sure it should be seen as undermining the coaches. I think given the frustrations exacerbated by Aspin and Co., the players should be having a long look at themselves as a team. If they're choosing to sulk and allow themselves to feel defeated, I'm afraid we already are, and the rest of this season will illustrate that.

I'll grant you it is up to Aspin and Co. to read that kind of body language, but it is up to the players to play for themselves. Hell, maybe this is something that could be encouraged by Aspo and Co. as a way to galvanize the team around one another and ignore the distractions surrounding them they cannot control. No reason it needs to be viewed as undermining the manager or subverting power.

I just think that players need to be held accountable to us fans and their employers for the way they perform

We the paying fans need to see passion whatever the outcome but it isn’t coming across that way it’s like we don’t matter , but we do and thus it creates anger to wards them

If we don’t do as we are instructed or underperform in our jobs then we are given written warnings etc then essentially lose our jobs

They need to grow Some and be men not sulk

Sent from my iPhone using onevalefan

I watch the manager and player interviews in the week and it seems that its the senior players who try and help the others and talk to them in the week. But no amount of team meetings or pep talks can legislate for any player going out on a pitch and slicing a clearance or switching off for a second to allow a runner in behind him or missing a great chance or misplacing a pass over 10 yards or 40 yards. I remember playing football one Saturday afternoon and the ref made a decision I didn't agree with so I was in his ear, he stopped play and called me over for the chat and said 'look son if I was good enough and not making mistakes I'd be reffing in the premier league and if you weren't either you'd be playing there too', which just shut me up immediately. Because thats football, there are are so many variables on any given day, players can be inconsistent, there are also 11 others trying to stop what you want to do as well. So to expect them (especially the lower down the leagues you go) to go through a game without making a mistake (big or small) is an impossibility and unrealistic. Its something that can't be looked at or compared to a normal job either. I think the anger towards players is sometimes over the top, I think as fans we are quick to turn when players make a mistake no matter how small and immediately want them hung.

I watch the manager and player interviews in the week and it seems that its the senior players who try and help the others and talk to them in the week. But no amount of team meetings or pep talks can legislate for any player going out on a pitch and slicing a clearance or switching off for a second to allow a runner in behind him or missing a great chance or misplacing a pass over 10 yards or 40 yards. I remember playing football one Saturday afternoon and the ref made a decision I didn't agree with so I was in his ear, he stopped play and called me over for the chat and said 'look son if I was good enough and not making mistakes I'd be reffing in the premier league and if you weren't either you'd be playing there too', which just shut me up immediately. Because thats football, there are are so many variables on any given day, players can be inconsistent, there are also 11 others trying to stop what you want to do as well. So to expect them (especially the lower down the leagues you go) to go through a game without making a mistake (big or small) is an impossibility and unrealistic. Its something that can't be looked at or compared to a normal job either. I think the anger towards players is sometimes over the top, I think as fans we are quick to turn when players make a mistake no matter how small and immediately want them hung.

It’s not about mistakes but commitment , desire whatever you want to call it we can put up with mistakes but not lack of desire for the fans, club and shirt.

Sent from my iPhone using the onevalefan mobile app

Archived