onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Are England vale in disguise

alwaysvaleme

We'll never compete with the big boys in tournament's until we have a winter break half-way through the season.

How does that help England? the players playing at the top clubs in England are all foreign.

What is killing us is big clubs buying up all the kids with half a chance, allowing them to play kids football for years until they turn 21, and the purchasing a foreign player instead of giving them a chance in the first team. They are then light years behind because they've played very few professional mens games. Chelsea are a perfect example of this.

Advert

We'll never compete with the big boys in tournament's until we have a winter break half-way through the season.

I get the logic of that but for a fair few years now we've seen overseas players who ply their trade in the EPL go into tournaments and be successful...they don't seem to struggle with the lack of a winter break and the demands of the EPL season.

Are our players good enough? Well I don't think the likes of Guardiola, Conte, Mourinho etc would pick players for their clubs if they weren't as good as the alternatives and they have the cash to bring in pretty much any alternative player that they wish. Yes there are a lot fewer English players playing at the top than there were say 30 years ago but they should be the elite of all English players...the best are still getting games

I really thought Capello might make a difference.

He didn't have an answer

Maybe, just maybe we keep selecting the wrong manager/coach? After all it's the FA who make that selection so you'd expect them to get it wrong!!!

The problem we've got of course is that you can't transfer players in and out of a national team but are stuck with what we've got and have to develop them.

In the meantime every Premiership manager in the land prefers to buy foreign rather than spend 2-3 years developing young English talent. Most managers are foreign. Many owners are foreign. The cards are stacked against us.

That said, we have always produced some very good under 18 & under 21 players but many of them don't make the step up to the next level and that needs investigating. The Germans get them through, as do the French and Spanish, but a lot of ours seem to fall by the wayside, and it's been like this for years and years.

We get the odd very good player coming through in one part of the pitch (say Kane) but then can't find classy centre backs.

Ali should be an outstanding player for us but I've barely seen him play really well in an England shirt.

And our midfield remains very static and devoid of creativity - miles behind teams like Spain and Germany. And that's crucial because games are won and lost in midfield and we have to get possession of the ball and not continually give it away.

I guess we'll do what we always do. Get to Russia. Perhaps qualify from the group. But once we meet one of the world's top 7-8 teams we'll go out.

Get used to it lads. I've had to over the course of the past 50 years! :wink:

The thing with Ali is that at Spurs he plays deeper, and the best attribute he's got is the timing of his runs into the box. With England he's usually much further forward and therefore can't time late runs into the box the same. He also has a genuine play-maker in Eriksen behind him pulling the strings and neither Henderson, Livermore or Dier are that. That's why Lallana has become a very important player for England as he's technically heads and shoulders above anyone else we can play in that position, and gives England some genuine flair they obviously lack.

I like Southgate as a person simply because he seems like a genuinely decent bloke, but he doesn't come across as the most inspiring manager to play for also. I can only imagine what someone like Jurgen Klopp could do with England with the attacking prowess they have, along with the dodgy back line!

It'd certainly be interesting!

But I still think, apart from one or two lads, were are still streets behind some of the better teams in the world.

How many English players would make the best European XI? Or even the best European 22? Or even get into say Germany's team or Spain's or France? Holland? Belgium? Italy? Not many.

Hopefully it's cyclical, but I've been waiting a very long time to see it come round again.

We had a number of world class players in 1966 (Banks, Moore, Hurst, Greaves, Charlton) and some very very good ones alongside (Ball, Peters, Wilson) and that made a huge difference.

I have to say I'm struggling to think of anyone we've got who is truly world class at the moment and has proven it by winning medals at the highest level.

The only British one I can think of is Bale, who has gone abroad to showcase his talent and it's interesting to ponder why top European clubs don't chase too many English players.

How does that help England? the players playing at the top clubs in England are all foreign.

What is killing us is big clubs buying up all the kids with half a chance, allowing them to play kids football for years until they turn 21, and the purchasing a foreign player instead of giving them a chance in the first team. They are then light years behind because they've played very few professional mens games. Chelsea are a perfect example of this.

It's pretty obvious really,it is designed to give the England players a mid-season break like the 2014 World Cup Champions Germany have in the Bundesliga.It's a comparison between the PL and the Bundesliga and is one of the reasons they win tournaments and we don't.

And despite all these foreign players playing for the top clubs in the PL as you say,it seems

there was only one PL player who was in the German team,all the rest played in the Bundesliga.The 2016 Euro Champions Portugal did slightly better and managed to include two PL players.

We will always be a bigger draw than the Bundesliga for foreign players because of the TV money.However,I do agree that we don't give our younger players enough game-time in the PL and the Bundesliga have taken the right path in doing the opposite.

Archived