onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Away Form

PV1993

Our away form this season has been dreadful. However, I keep hearing shouts of 'Brown should have sorted it out by now' etc. and it made me wonder how it compares to other seasons.

Last few seasons (league one away form):

16/17: P17 W1 D6 L10 GF11 GA31 LR:23rd

15/16: P23 W6 D4 L13 GF21 GA33 LR:18th

14/15: P23 W7 D4 L12 GF24 GA34 LR: 17th

13/14: P23 W5 D4 L14 GF24 GA43 LR: 19th

LR = League ranking

We've only scored 11 goals away from home! we've scored more than once in a game twice: Peterborough and Scunthorpe.

Although last night seems like an atrocity: losing to the team with the worst home record, was it more a case of 'worst home vs. worst away' and something had to give?

I've thought that our away form since being in L1 has always been fairly poor, but they look a dream compared to this season. I wouldn't lay all the blame at Browns feet however.

Lets compare Brown and Ribiero for a second:

Ribiero: P11 W1 D3 L7 GF6 GA22

Brown: P6 W0 D3 L3 GF5 GA9

So under Brown the away form hasn't exactly picked up, but we've scored almost the same amount of goals in half the amount of games! Plus winning margins have all been by a single goal - rather than the number of 4-0, 3-1 games we came to know under Bruno.

Effectively, survival is going to come down to home form. I believe that under Brown we can nick a couple of valuable away points, but I'm not going to expect anything necessarily.

I mentioned in a thread a few days ago about how in our run in, the teams around the bottom (up to MK) all sync up to play home and away at the same time. This will be crucial.

My suggestion for away games: when all players are fit why not switch to a 5-3-2 formation? It may seem negative on paper but could benefit the players we have.

For example I see Kiko and Taylor as wing backs rather than full backs, so this would suit them much better. I would say we have better central midfielders than wide men, so why not pack the middle? Plus this would allow us to play two up top.

5-3-2: [Goalkeeper]; Taylor, Streete, Smith, Knops, Kiko; Guy, Pugh, Foley; Hooper, Forrester

Surely we've got to try something different away from home? Thoughts?

Advert

I agree and think 3-5-2 is the way forward in particular away from home. I think Kiko is poor defensively and would benefit from the extra security of another CB covering him. I also think this system would allow Foley to play a further forward and be more of a goal threat.

The downside though is both Kiko and Taylor don't have enough pace and energy to be up and down so it could reduce our options of an out ball when defending.

Sent from my iPad using onevalefan

Archived