onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Rate the new players

yorky valiant

I know these new players have played 1 game or 1 half for the vale but I couldn't get to Newcastle yesterday so could you let me know what they played like and if they we good or not? Sorry if this question has been on another post but I haven't seen it! Please share with me

Advert

Knops: looked solid enough, ok in the air. Nothing spectacular though

Kiko: didn't win much in the air but looks dangerous going forward, whipped a few decent balls into dangerous areas

Mac-Intosh impressive, very strong. a few surging runs up the middle too

Tavares obviously got quality, long range passing. a better O'Connor

De Feritas did ok. nothing amazing

Perrira looked fast and quality on the wing

Mbamba fast again, possibly a little lightweight

Cecelia: big and strong, held the ball up well. a couple of shots just wide

Saliero very slow and clearly not fit

Forrester best man on the pitch. two decent finishes, a pressence up top

In addition Hooper looked stronger than last season, good finish for his goal. Nathan Smith looked good at the back, surprisingly strong for the size of him. Also thought Gibbons played well, a decent backup for Purkiss.

Overall i was quite pleased with what i saw. i know it was only Newcastle Town but i thought we looked calmer and higher quality on the ball.

I wasn't at Saturdays game so I'm looking forward to seeing the new players and the young vale pros in action soon. I know it's a results business, but sometimes that dictates people's views on players, I sure I read someone say first half we looked like non league players I think. Whenever I watch the team play I always try to look at individual performances. Are the centre halves commanding, can they put a tackle, do they do the dirty work off the ball against a striker, can they organise. How do the full backs link up with attack, do they overlap, can they get crosses in. How did they do defensively against their winger. Do they have a good partnership with the centre half on their side. Are the wingers able to beat a man, get crosses and shots in, without the ball how do they link with the full back defensively. Can the midfielders get on the ball and dictate play, can they put a tackle in, is the passing good, can they retain the ball, how do they screen the defence, do they have a goal in them, can they get box to box. What's the forwards movement like, are they creating space for a chance...etc etc.

I know the focus of us all has been the new foreign lads. But let's also not forget that saturday had 5 home grown players in there who have been at the club for a long time. So it's good to see a couple of names get mentions for their performances like Turner, Smith and Gibbons. All these home grown lads need a bit of patience as they gain experience. Maybe I'm a misty eyed idiot, but for me these are the lads that I like to see out there, players who know the club, the area and it means more to pull on the shirt. They're doing something most of us fans would love to do, put on the shirt of our local team. It seems too often in the past we've been impatient with them or to quick to disregard them.

For what it's worth a complete overview from Saturday:

Pickering: Impressed for a youngster, commanding, vocal, saved what he had to although relatively untroubled. Kicking was very competent.

Gibbons: Perhaps isn't quite physically ready for league football but he was composed, wanted the ball and got forward well.

Kiko: Looked short of match fitness to me but technically very sound. Size is against him but he got up to compete and didn't shirk challenges.

Knops: Hard to tell against the opposition but was certainly calm on the ball and strong in the challenge. Lacks height.

Streete: Looked fit and ready. Composed on the ball, quite vocal and hopefully could be his season.

Tavares: My pick of the foreigners. Two good feet, excellent first touch and vision. A real 'player'. Tough too.

Grant: Possible MOTM, basically picking off from where he left off last year.

Foley: Played higher up the pitch in front of Tavares and Grant and although it perhaps didn't come off in a first friendly there's got to be some miles in using that system. Looked in good shape and got into some good positions.

Mbamba: Barely touched the ball but way too early to judge. Seems to have pace.

Cecilia: Looked immense in the warm up and was breaking the net at times with some outstanding finishing. In the game the formation isolated him but he had a few good touches in the box. Cliched but looks like he has good feet for a big man.

Kelly: Looked a bit weak and still needs to muscle up. Pretty much did nothing like Mbamba.

Saleiro: Barely got a touch. Needs fitness.

Haughton: Promising. Glad he's back. Got into the game more than Mbamba.

Reeves: Competent but I believe out of his position so hard to judge.

Yates: Gave the ball away a bit but otherwise did a job and got forward well.

Mac-Intosch: Very composed for a defender, strong and brought the ball out well. For some reason I just wasn't convinced he looked like a centre half.

Smith: Excellent and much bigger and stronger than last time I saw him over a year ago.

Perreira: Possibly the pick of the second half foreigners. Some neat football, got some pace and trickery.

De Freitas: Cant say I saw him do much wrong and just ticked over in the midfield without being spectacular.

Brown: Marshalled it like a man 10 years younger.

Lloyd: Did some good stuff on the ball. Still unsure as to whether he'll have any chance at the first team as is still a bit lightweight and not hugely pacey for a winger.

Hooper: Really sharp and took his goal well. A constant threat.

Forrester: Even taking away his goals his movement was outstanding, looks a real striker with instinct and the ability to back it up.

Turner: Some really neat footwork for Lloyds goal. Perhaps needs a loan to out to a non league side for now.

I like the positives im hearing about tavares. Sounds like tavares + grant could be a good midfield partnership.

Yeah I thinks its going to be amazing partnership, we just need Forrester sign and then we will have a good strikers partnership with him and JJ upfront.

PV1973 and Tenement Funster. How nice to have constructive and sensible comments from those who not only went to the match but actually watched the players. Thank you.

Thanks. It's very early days of course and I don't think it means much however last season I remember thinking Kelly didn't look up to much at Newcastle Town and in general I think his faults there transpired into the season so I suppose that's all you can look at. Basic physical weaknesses to begin with, we'll see how technicaly good they are come the first day of the season.

Archived