onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

This is what we're up against

Jacko51

http://www.bettingsites.co/articles/betting-tax-in-the-uk-do-i-have-to-pay-tax-on-my-gambling-winnings.html

I'm unsure how tax would be taken from "offshore" winnings from a country we did not have some sort of disclosure agreement with (the online betting companies would surely base their services in countries where we did NOT have such agreements). But it could encourage people not to use UK based betting facilities allowing the foreign ones to grow at the expense of UK businesses reducing the tax take, taking away jobs etc...that was the Labour govt's concern according to the above anyway

Advert

You would think this with most clubs, which is why it slightly confuses me as to why going to PL games is so incredibly expensive, when their main source of income is elsewhere. They could easily afford to keep fans happy with cheap prices. Makes the current Liverpool saga even more infuriating, although other fans should be protesting at their clubs too.

At Liverpool,like at most PL clubs it's a case of supply and demand where they've got a season ticket waiting list of 11,000?

http://www.bettingsites.co/articles/betting-tax-in-the-uk-do-i-have-to-pay-tax-on-my-gambling-winnings.html

I'm unsure how tax would be taken from "offshore" winnings from a country we did not have some sort of disclosure agreement with (the online betting companies would surely base their services in countries where we did NOT have such agreements). But it could encourage people not to use UK based betting facilities allowing the foreign ones to grow at the expense of UK businesses reducing the tax take, taking away jobs etc...that was the Labour govt's concern according to the above anyway

UK based companies which have offshore setups are now taxed @15% on profits from that business as in the UK, by the Revenue.'Point of consumption' not 'Point of supply'.EG .William Hill used to pay 1% tax in their Gibraltar operation,on profits.They now pay 15% as it as classed the same as UK business.Severe penalties if the tax isn't declared and paid.

At Liverpool,like at most PL clubs it's a case of supply and demand where they've got a season ticket waiting list of 11,000?
At least they are increasing their ground size to meet demand, I have not seen the details of their tickets but I am not surprised they are upping the prices for the tourist trade, but should still keep reasonable prices for the ordinary fan. There can be hidden costs as well, at Leicester for non-ST fans, there is a membership scheme £100 Family, and £75, 40 and 20 grades. which give priorities to buy tickets. Obviously this season the top membership cards have sold out as well.

UK based companies which have offshore setups are now taxed @15% on profits from that business as in the UK, by the Revenue.'Point of consumption' not 'Point of supply'.EG .William Hill used to pay 1% tax in their Gibraltar operation,on profits.They now pay 15% as it as classed the same as UK business.Severe penalties if the tax isn't declared and paid.

Yep, spot on. All of the bookie over her in Gib have to pay the point of consumption tax, same applies to all other offshore companies based elsewhere eg Malta. Tax even applies to free bets which is why all the signup offers are now largely enhanced prices instead of free bets.

Yeh but I don't know how we'd tax winnings..how we tax the 'gambler'..as has been suggested

Wouldn't be difficult I don't think. When an online bet settles the back end system could easily remove a percentage automatically to be allocated to tax.

That would mean going back to the old days though mate.At the moment everybody wins,Client,Bookie and Tax man.

That would mean going back to the old days though mate.At the moment everybody wins,Client,Bookie and Tax man.

I agree, wasn't my suggestion - just saying it could be done as JA asked. Although adding a tax might get rid of a few arbitrage players as you'd be shrinking their margin which would be good for us!

I agree, wasn't my suggestion - just saying it could be done as JA asked. Although adding a tax might get rid of a few arbitrage players as you'd be shrinking their margin which would be good for us!

Ah yes,the short odds and singles boys.The scourge of the bookie.:laugh:

The daft rule about having to make the first payment by cash meant that I now do not have a season ticket. I was working away and only had chance to get the ticket before the Wigan game. I was running late, so did not have chance to go to the cashpoint and back again. I buy a season ticket because I want to support the club. There are a number of matches that I can not attend due to work, Smurf has signed himself out of the money because of this silly rule.

Our club makes no sense to me at times. Stop making it difficult for me to spend my money with you.

When I was in primary (St. Luke's in Endon - just before I started going Vale), they used to hand out A4 letters to everyone in class almost every week. I only found out by actually reading one after months of taking them off the teacher (I was a kid, I didn't read them, just passed everything to my parents :razz:) that they were from Vale offering cheap/free tickets for kids when going with adults etc.

Of course, my family were already ST holders, & by the time I'd found out what they were, I'd gotten into football & was also one!

Also, when I was in high school, I remember noticing from where we were sat that the Bycars was a lot fuller a few times a season, think they made it very cheap 5/6 times for it.

Loads of deals like that seem to have disappeared though, & I think we need to get some of them back in. It's not like we're currently making that much of an effort to entice people to come to Vale. I thought when the owners changed we were supposed to be looking at the marketing side a lot more, but I haven't noticed any improvements.

Vale did provide free football training sessions at St. Luke's (and other primary schools) but then under V2001 they decided to charge an amount which the school could not justify. To me it seemed a good way to attract new young fans.

Yes, it would mean that - the suggestion was always to tax gamblers not bookies, who I accept already pay tax. It was done before and could easily be done again - you just pay them less winnings and give the 10 per cent or whatever to the taxman.

This means more tax for good causes and makes nearly everyone (well, normal charitable non-profiteer freaks) even happier. And I do have a bet myself, and would gladly pay this if all do - as I said, why tax cigarettes and petrol and even food and not a non-essential thing like betting by punters?

ps Do we really care if bookmakers are happy. This old crappy argument about lost jobs doesn't wash in a growing industry that will still grow as people want to bet more and more even with a small tax taken out of their winnings. Don't fall for this right-wing mega-capitalist Donald Trump type rhetoric.

Archived