onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

England Euro 2016 team?

TylerB

The tournament isn't far away at all. What would your current starting 11 be? Personally I think England have a lot of exciting young players and could surprise one or two in the summer. Just 18-24 months ago we looked a side desperate for a goal-scorer and we now have two of the most in-form strikers in world football in Harry Kane and Jamie Vardy, though whether both can really transmit that sort of form on the International side remains to be seen. With Shaw being injured and likely to not play too much of a part in the Euro's and also with no having an outstanding full-back at present I'd like to see England go 3-5-2 to give us an extra man in midfield, which should help against the better teams who always seem to boss the midfield against us.

Hart

Smalling

Stones

Dier

Delph

Alli

Barkley

Walcott

Sterling

Rooney

Kane

Subs:

Butland/Forster

Cahill/Jagielka

Bertrand/Baines

Clyne/Walker

Oxlade-Chamberlain/Milner

Lingard/Lallana

Vardy

I think that looks a more than decent side, one packed with power and pace and made for hitting teams on the counter. Alli and Barkley have the ability to run riot if they're at it. Another option would be to play Rooney in a wider role in which he's played plenty of times to replace Sterling or Walcott and play with Vardy and Kane up front, an absolute handful for any defence. I haven't included the likes of Wilshere, Welbeck and Sturridge for obvious reasons.

Thoughts?

Advert

I wouldnt be taking Delph or Milner they are both toss.

Plus i wouldnt play 3-5-2 , mainly because none of the players have played it nor have we tried it out before the tournament.

I would stick to tried and tested 4-5-1.

........................Butland

Walker.......Cahill......Smalling......Bertrand

................Barkley....Alli

Ox............................................Sterling

........................Rooney

........................Kane

Plus i wouldnt play 3-5-2 , mainly because none of the players have played it nor have we tried it out before the tournament.

Walker over Clyne? I'm not against it, they're pretty close in regards to ability and lapses in concentration. Cahill isn't in the Chelsea side at the moment which could be a problem. I quite like Delph myself and think there's much more to come from him. Milner is Milner, he's worth being in the squad at least simply because of his versatility.

I wouldnt have Oxlade Chamberlain on my mind.

The lad looks devoid of any confidence whatsoever and has regressed in recent times.

Kane. Vardy. Alli. Barkley. All been superb this season. Especially Alli who will be a superstar.

Be interesting to see where Roy accomodates them.

I do think he's over-rated and hasn't really progressed at all since joining Arsenal. But some of his better performances have come in an England shirt, and his versatility is a positive. Roy needs to be brave and put out an attack minded team, as we obviously have much better players going forward than we do defensively.

It's also worth noting that Chris Smalling is also having a superb season. I used to think it was an absolute joke that he was in the England squad less than a couple of years ago, but he's really come on in leaps and bounds this season and is arguably our best out and out defender at the moment.

Not sure if there is any mileage in playing Rooney, Kane and Vardy in some combination? Vardy has been truly superb this season considering the level he has progressed from. Whether he can translate that to the international stage I don't know but would be wonderful to see. He certainly deserves a start in a couple of friendlies at least see how he goes as his confidence should be sky high especially if Leicester hang on in there!

Walker over Clyne? I'm not against it, they're pretty close in regards to ability and lapses in concentration. Cahill isn't in the Chelsea side at the moment which could be a problem. I quite like Delph myself and think there's much more to come from him. Milner is Milner, he's worth being in the squad at least simply because of his versatility.

Forgot about clyne tbf, would have him over walker.

Cahill is for me the best Centre back we have, he was outstanding at the world cup, it's a shame nobody else turned up.

If studge can get fit he would have to start, but that is a massive if.

As ever, I admire your optimism Beechy and let's hope that you are right and I am wrong, but you'd be better off watching Eastenders than the football as the England team won't get anywhere near the final stages of the competition, despite having a few promising lads.

Put your money on France, or Spain, or Germany or Belgium.;)

As ever, I admire your optimism Beechy and let's hope that you are right and I am wrong, but you'd be better off watching Eastenders than the football as the England team won't get anywhere near the final stages of the competition, despite having a few promising lads.

Put your money on France, or Spain, or Germany or Belgium.;)

Why not? Sure, England have let us down on a number of occasions. But if Roy picks the right team and picks in form players we have an excellent balance of young and experienced players. Kane and Vardy are a handful for any defence, as is the pace of the likes of Walcott and Sterling. Barkley and particularly Alli are two of the most promising midfielders around and both are having excellent seasons.

We're certainly a much more talented side than the Greek one that won the Euros some years ago now. With a bit of luck and the a togetherness in the side as that Greece team had I don't see why England can't do well for a change.

Milner is not toss!!! You're obsessed pal

GK: Hart, Butland, Forster

Def: Gibbs, Clyne, Bertrand, Jagielka, Stones, Smalling, Jones/Cahil, Baines

Mid: Henderson, Ox, Milner, Barkley, Ali, Dier, Sterling, Delph

ST: Rooney, Vardy, Kane, Walcott.

That looks close to me, probably missed someone off. Welbeck,Wilshere and Sturridge to injury prone unfortunately.

Archived