onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Walsall 2 Port Vale 0. post match comments

Fosse69

Popes ratio is still far better than Aj's whichever spin you put on it. And I was a big supporter of richards by the way.

You comparison of two players goals against ones this season is just a joke though surely? Im not saying we should have broken the bank for pope, quite the opposite, I understood both parties stance in the situation and was happy to move on, but some of the nonsense posted about him is ridiculous.

This post echoes my thoughts pretty much perfectly.

Advert

Popes ratio is pretty much exactly the same as AJ's this season, and better over a career. You arent very consistent with your assessments of players.

Most of his 'career' goals came from one season in which I remember Pope getting one of very few hatricks (Against Fleetwood) He was a one season wonder whether you like it or not. AJ may have a similar ratio to present but come back in May and he will finish on more goals than Pope did last season...it is the here and now that matters.

The promotion season massively distort Tom's stats. Aside from that season they are average/poor. Richards has a far more consistent scoring ratio, but was slated on here more often than not. Last season we were a better side when he was injured, with N'Guesson in the team. Thanks for the memories Tom, but we need to move on. Uche/AJLS are likely to be on a combined wage less than Popey was on. They play as an either/or not together, so if you want to compare they have 12 vs. 6 for Tom, so you could say we have got better value for money.

Exactly what I was saying earlier. We are also (because of our excellent home form) higher in the league than last season so we certainly are currently better off.

Popes ratio is still far better than Aj's whichever spin you put on it. And I was a big supporter of richards by the way.

You comparison of two players goals against ones this season is just a joke though surely?

Without wishing to speak for another poster I'm sure he is saying AJ or Uche have replaced Pope's role in the side as they don't start together as it's more of an either or situation.

Given that they have scored more goals combined already this season than Pope had last when either one was playing and given the wages we've saved and indeed our superior current league position we are better off.

I'm grateful to Pope for his contribution during that one wonderful season but we really do need to move on and see the bigger picture.

So why say anything? Making stuff up is far worse

As for the ignore list, you wish! Why should I let you get away with spreading rubbish to back up your Pope love in?

None of what I say is made up. I aren't deaf I have heard many silly comments spoken by Smurth what he said about Pope's contract was quite bluntly disgraceful and patronising '' I hope that he and his family have enjoyed spending my money'' being just one of several similar comments that he told RS.

I am beginning to think that you have a problem with me or is it with Tom?

Without wishing to speak for another poster I'm sure he is saying AJ or Uche have replaced Pope's role in the side as they don't start together as it's more of an either or situation.

Given that they have scored more goals combined already this season than Pope had last when either one was playing and given the wages we've saved and indeed our superior current league position we are better off.

Spot on REP. It is not 2 players vs. 1 as only AJ or Uche are playing most of the time and not together, we have paid them less,than Tom was on and have therefore got better value for money.

Tom is a legend for the promotion season, but legends are past not present

Hells bells you are one of the posters that Andyregs is referring too!

When have I ever derided Pope 's contribution? I never have and never will. My problem is with people like you who make out all our woes are down to him moving on. We aren't worse off, we have a better squad for having him off the wage bill and only the totally blinkered would disagree. Okay we don't have a prolific striker but if Bury do, it's not Tom Pope.

I have a problem with neither you or Tom Pope (especially the latter), I just don't think Jesus the messiah and I find it you constantly bringing up the past completely inane. It's especially ridiculous as you fail to acknowledge the good things the chairman has done because of the Pope issue.

That's all very commendable. But this is professional football not lower league. Pope's job was to score goals..and he was paid a good wage for it....simply his goal ratio wasn't good enough. He was a striker. Nothing more nothing less. All round play might be ok if he had done consistently what he was paid to do.

One example...Does a car sales person do a very good job if he sells no cars but is prepared to clean them?? It's the same principle.

Yep, a strikers job is to score goals but a striker like Pope shouldn't be judged on that alone as all 11 players can contribute to the teams' goals scored column. Football is the ultimate team game, Pope depended on others for supply, others depended on Pope for supply, Pope had other roles in the team which he fulfilled very well IMHO, and there's the intangibles, the defenders paying more attention to Pope and allowing others to be free to score, the physical approach unsettling defenders and the two men marking him in the box, it wasn't just goals that Pope provided although I'm certain he wasn't happy with his goal scored number last season.

Vale, Popey and I have moved on but as football fans we'll always have this type of debate. I don't blame Pope for taking the money and looking after his families future as for the majority of footballers in the lower professional leagues there aren't many well paid jobs in football and the media around given the competition these days.

I don't blame Pope for taking the money and looking after his families future as for the majority of footballers in the lower professional leagues there aren't many well paid jobs in football and the media around given the competition these days.

I'd say most of the players in the lower leagues get at least £1000 per week...Just for playing football. I'd say that is pretty good for anyone's standards. People who pay the wages are the fans who are probably earning no where near what lower league players get paid and are paying above average prices for lower quality of football..your heart is in the wrong place in that respect i'm afraid

Archived