onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Spain 2 England 0

TylerB

I admire your endless optimism Beechy but it's more of the same old, same old....

England can beat the second rank nations easily but when we come up against the better teams we're hopeless.

The gulf in class between the teams was frightening.

Is this the Spain team that was knocked out of the World Cup easily and is falling down the rankings?

We have too many foreign players preventing young English lads from developing. We can't keep possession and pass and control a ball as well as we should. The lack of basic technical ability among some of our players is staggering. Hodgson is clueless.

Roy can only work with the player's he's got I'm afraid and we aren't producing enough talent.We might reach the quarter-finals if we're lucky.

Advert

Err.......A draw maybe, a goalkeeper who can do the basics and kick a football,seriously you cant think the Premier league is improving our national side.

It could be argued that the darkest years for our national side, when we failed to qualify for tournaments, was before he premier league. Easy to see the time previously as 'a golden age', but the reality is that we have always been second best internationally. We have reached one major tournament final, and that was on our own turf. For our size, we achieve as you would expect.

It could be argued that the darkest years for our national side, when we failed to qualify for tournaments, was before he premier league. Easy to see the time previously as 'a golden age', but the reality is that we have always been second best internationally. We have reached one major tournament final, and that was on our own turf. For our size, we achieve as you would expect.

So thats that then lie down and have our tummys tickled.

Some English fans would hope for a little more ambition.

I don't agree that we were as poor as most of you are insisting. England have to be a counter-attacking side - It makes sense with all the pace we have up front and also the fact that we don't keep possession half as well as the very top teams. There's no point in us trying to keep possession just for the sake of it when we're playing the likes of Spain as they are always going to do it so much better, so we should play to what our strengths are.

Spain are an excellent side. I mean for Christ sake, they brought on Pedro who if was English would be our best player! That say's everything about the two squads. We do have a lot of good young players though who, if nurtured correctly both at club and international level, could help to make us a decent outfit in coming years. Butland, Shaw, Stones, Loftus-Cheek, Barkley, Alli, Ibe and Sterling all have big potential.

If we want to win a major tournament then we've got to start competing with teams like Spain. Yes they've good, but for me they're know where as good as they use to be, as look how they preformed in last years World Cup, as even Holland thrashed them 5. Its pointless winning 9 out of 9 qualifying games, then not preform when we play the bigger boys. A fully fit England side and we could do well next year, as theirs only Germany and France who I fear.

dont see why no body can accept it, england arent good enough, full of very mediocre average player's who just simply don't give a dam. more bothered about which colour football boots they are wearing, or if their hair is still straight, over paid and average at best. as per USUAL come up against a half decent opposistion, and lose, ive got no interest in the national side, they arent worth the time, it's the same old...........destroy the qualifying group because weve played easy minnow team's which some of us could even have a run out against.......play a top ten ranked team and lose. boring england.

dont see why no body can accept it, england arent good enough, full of very mediocre average player's who just simply don't give a dam. more bothered about which colour football boots they are wearing, or if their hair is still straight, over paid and average at best. as per USUAL come up against a half decent opposistion, and lose, ive got no interest in the national side, they arent worth the time, it's the same old...........destroy the qualifying group because weve played easy minnow team's which some of us could even have a run out against.......play a top ten ranked team and lose. boring england.

Where does this notion come from that the players apparently just don't care? I don't believe that not every one of them give their all in the major tournaments. They simply aren't good enough individually or collectively, but that has nothing to do with not wanting to do well for themselves and the country they represent.

Where does this notion come from that the players apparently just don't care? I don't believe that not every one of them give their all in the major tournaments. They simply aren't good enough individually or collectively, but that has nothing to do with not wanting to do well for themselves and the country they represent.

where does this notion come from? money, it speak's for footballer's, be honest mate, if you were earning what rooney is earning, knowing youll get it at the end of the week regardless of the result, would you really be bothered if you lost? that's where i get the notion from, seeing endless game's of no effort whether it's vale or england. some do maybe give it there all in major tournemounts, gerrard use to imo, there's a few other's who possibly did, but i personally feel there's a lot of england player's who didnt and dont.

i dont have high hopes for euro 2016, i would honestly be shocked if we got to the last sixteen.

So thats that then lie down and have our tummys tickled.

Some English fans would hope for a little more ambition.

Talk about missing the point. What I was saying, is that this golden age of English football before the prem didn't exist. In fact we had times when it was much worse. People go on like we were world beaters until the prem came along, and if it hadn't we would have won the World Cup numerous times.

Talk about missing the point. What I was saying, is that this golden age of English football before the prem didn't exist. In fact we had times when it was much worse. People go on like we were world beaters until the prem came along, and if it hadn't we would have won the World Cup numerous times.

Talk about missing the point................I never said there was a golden age before the premier league, what I am saying is simple, we will not be able to cultivate our own players in Britain because of the enormous amount of foreign players that now populate the money grabbing at all costs premier league.:yes:

we have been world beaters once, we won't again, because our player's are hailed as the next this, the next that, and they never aspire to world beater's, we aren't even top ten imo, there's better international sides than us, it'll take years to rebuild a good england squad.

I would go along with that.

We've had lots of 'good' players in the recent past -Gerrard, Owen, Lampard, Ferdinand, Scholes, etc - and never got anywhere.

There is a gulf in class between us and the world's top 7-8 teams and it's been like that, by and large, since 1970, bar the odd outstanding performance in the nineties.

It's hard to take and frustrating to watch (like last night) but too many of our players still can't do the basics right like trap a ball, pass it to a team-mate, keep it on the ground, hold on to possession, run into space, etc.

Barcelona, Bayern Munich and Real Madrid would run rings round England - and a few other national teams!

Archived