onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Strength in Depth

PV1993

Although yesterday's result at Bradford was disappointing it was only 45 minutes that we were second best, and you could excuse the players for being tired after a rather busy opening fixture list. The rest of the season (including the first half yesterday) we have been excellent, so there's no need to go OTT. The one recurring theme however in my opinion - and as I've read on other sections - that needs to change is our lack of strength in depth, as every time substitutions have been made we have been worse off for it. It is certainly the difference between a mid-table team and one pushing for promotion.

It is also worth noting that we have an absolutely massive squad, so this is somewhat of a worry. Around 35 players and not one person who can come on and make a difference to the starting 11.

AJLS played very, very well when he came on against Donny but apart from that we've been toothless with him replacing Uche. I can understand him coming on for/competing with Dodds as they both play nice football but to have both of them up top together makes us very lightweight. We need someone in the Uche mould who can just replace him and keep us on the right line. Hooper or Campion could possibly do this and I'm not saying they would but to not have at least one of them on the bench is ridiculous.

Our first choice wingers in Andoh and Moore are absolute quality for this league but once they go off we lose the game. Kelly is not yet good enough and it is obvious he is too used to reserve/lads football as the games have really passed him by. What gets me is that Hooper/Campion etc. apparently need to go and toughen up yet Kelly is fine? I'm willing to bet that Hooper is more ready for L1 than Kelly as he's at least had a season playing men's football.

In centre mid and centre half we are very well covered, and we have obvious strength in depth there - with Grant, Oaky, Foley & Brown, and Duffy, Inniss & Streete battling for those positions respectively - no complaints from me. Similarly the competition for the gloves is one we can be proud of with both Alnwick and Neal there.

Full backs we seem a little exposed to me, too. Dicko and Purkiss have been excellent however we have no real back up for them. If something were to happen to either of them who would we replace them with? Furthermore although they are very good defensive full backs they are not the quickest, therefore I feel it would add to the quality of the side if we have back up in the form of more nippy, attacking full backs as it would give us a different dimension.

I feel we are a winger and two full backs off having a really good looking squad, as well as a striker if Page really isn't willing to give Hooper/Campion a go. If he isn't he needs to get them out on loan to L2/NC sides as soon as possible along with Kelly, Lloyd, Boot, Johnson and the other young players we have signed from the youth team.

In summary, we have 15 quality players and around another 15 who are either not yet ready or just plain not good enough. We also have no-one who can come on and make an impact from the bench. I'm not a Williamson fan and I believed this season he was right to leave however he and Rob Taylor (when played on the wing) were two players who could really make an impact from the bench. Neither of them are good enough for this level, but [hopefully] you get my point in that we need some real attacking/wing options from the bench, as at present we have nothing and it's really letting down what is an excellent first team performance.

Advert

Agreed with most points but at Bradford yesterday , I think we firstly need to find a replacement for uche the ball just came back at us virtually second half as no one could hold the ball up linking play. Maybe the subs of birchall and kelly were page's way of saying I need more quality on the bench. I'd rather have seen Daniels upfront replacing uche and as replacing dodds . We my as well have jj hooper on the bench and have a run out for 15 mins

People need to realise this isn't football manager.

We did the retained list as was because page was worried he may lose his entire side. All were offered reduced terms , only really three of those resigning have disappointed us.

We have gone from expecting relegation to expecting to win the league in 3 months. Be a little realistic , this is pages first season with his own side, personally I'm happy to see us play the style we are and finish mid table. Then push on next season when we have an even stronger squad.

If I asked you back in May would we be expecting come back from Bradford with 3 points or even a clean sheet you would have laughed at me.

I think we've got abit carried away last couple of weeks, our aim is to stay up and yes we lost yesterday but they are a far better team than us with a bigger budget so like I've already said it's far more vital to get something against our relegation rivals and personally I think we easily have enough stay up if we can find a goal scorer before deadline.

People need to realise this isn't football manager.

We did the retained list as was because page was worried he may lose his entire side. All were offered reduced terms , only really three of those resigning have disappointed us.

We have gone from expecting relegation to expecting to win the league in 3 months. Be a little realistic , this is pages first season with his own side, personally I'm happy to see us play the style we are and finish mid table. Then push on next season when we have an even stronger squad.

If I asked you back in May would we be expecting come back from Bradford with 3 points or even a clean sheet you would have laughed at me.

I agree. I think the best thing we can do - and this is something I hope Norman has learned form - is to get our best player's contracts sorted around Christmas time. Then the fringe players have the rest of the season to show us why the deserve a new contract and then at least that way we can afford to release players in June rather than, as you say, worry about who is going to sign up and who isn't.

My main point is that we really aren't far away from a winning formula.

I understand the cries for a goalscorer... but smurf says the kitty is empty... the budget and more is all spent... any ideas where page can find a proven goalscorer on a free with no wage?

Taking a flyer on a kid from a Prem/Championship Academy with the parent club funding the loan.

Failing that, try to manoeuvre one or two 'squad' players out of the door before deadline day to create room for a striker.

Taking a flyer on a kid from a Prem/Championship Academy with the parent club funding the loan.

Failing that, try to manoeuvre one or two 'squad' players out of the door before deadline day to create room for a striker.

Thats pages responsibility, he seems more concerned about not conceding than scoring... or perhaps playing well and if we score its a bonus.

I think we've got abit carried away last couple of weeks, our aim is to stay up and yes we lost yesterday but they are a far better team than us with a bigger budget so like I've already said it's far more vital to get something against our relegation rivals and personally I think we easily have enough stay up if we can find a goal scorer before deadline.

Since when has our aim been to stay up ? No wonder fans are staying away

Certain players in the starting 11 arent good enough to get us close to the playoffs, never mind those on the fringes.

And before someone slates it as a reation to yesterday i made my opinions clear to those who know me games ago.

Back 4 is sound. Mcgivern and Streete as cover to the current back 4 is good back up. I have no problems there.

Grant has been a real find. Bosses games andhas a touch of class about him.

Foley has been industrious but not quite sure he is a top end league 1 player.

Andoh is a real livewire. Needs to work on his final ball and seemingly his fitness but could turn into a superstar.

Then the 3 i have worries about.

Firstly Uche. Green as grass and obvious potential but i dont believe our system suits him. Needs a man up there with him. Does way too much work than he should be doing and thats why hes being subbed late on. I think he will struggle to get 15 league goals, possibly 12 in the current system. Not so much i dont think he has got it more so that he needs support. Big weight on young shoulders. Lets not forget the lads 20.

Byron Moore just doesnt do it for me. Too lightweight. Devoid of confidence more often than not. Peoplehave been raving aout his early form. Well, if thats the best we have out of him im seriously worried.

Finally Doddsy. I like Louis but for 7 years he has been a bit part player. Page takes over and we see him as one of the first names on the team sheet!

And thats the big problem. Goals. We cannot rely on Louis Dodds. But he fits in the managers "beautiful football" style. Sadly AJLS is a poor version of Doddsy.

From the keeper to Anthony Grant im really impressed but it just isnt working up top and i suspect its a mixture of playing personnel and tactics.

Time will tell but as we are, whenever we concede first, i wonder where two goals are coming from and its not fair on the defence to rely on clean sheets every week.

Im not calling for Pages head. Far from it. Im just massively frustrated that we have certain squad members that HE signed up who are absolutely robbing a living in league 1, and when we take off Uche and Enoch we have the likes of Daniel, Birchall, AJ, coming on who are league 2/non league players a best.

If i was Page id be doing my best to rectify the **** up of the retained list by trying to get some of them out in the next 48 hours and then busting a gut to bring in a player who can support Uche and score goals. Maybe he has one in JJ Hooper but something about that signing seems to be another Campion all over again.

He will live or die by his decisions this next month, on and off the pitch. I doubt Norman will be too patient if we are in the bottom half of the table at the end of September.

Archived