onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

New offisde law for this season

Jacko51

Agreed. I'm all for the "not interfearing with play" thing but for absolute clarity, maybe there's a case for offside being as clean cut as a player being goalside of the last defending player, in the oppositions half- ball or no ball.

As Brian Clough said "If you are on the pitch you are interfering with play " True then and true now.

Advert

It would be a sad day when 'in the opinion of the referee' is withdrawn from the laws of football....IMO there must always be interpretation, scope for the ref to use his/her judgement.

From the fa.com..seems perfectly simple to me

Offence

A player in an offside position (and there is surely no dispute re what an offside position is..my words) is only penalised if, at the moment the ball touches or is played by one of his team, he is, in the opinion of the referee, involved in active play by:

•interfering with play or

•interfering with an opponent or

•gaining an advantage by being in that position

It would be a sad day when 'in the opinion of the referee' is withdrawn from the laws of football....IMO there must always be interpretation, scope for the ref to use his/her judgement.

From the fa.com..seems perfectly simple to me

Offence

A player in an offside position (and there is surely no dispute re what an offside position is..my words) is only penalised if, at the moment the ball touches or is played by one of his team, he is, in the opinion of the referee, involved in active play by:

•interfering with play or

•interfering with an opponent or

•gaining an advantage by being in that position

Doesn't this mean that there will be a lot more offsides now?

For example, say there is a free kick outside the box, and somebody stands away from the play out wide on the line in an offside position, but is causing the defence to spread out...would that be considered interfering with an opponent or gaining an advantage, even if they have no intention of even going near the ball for the entire set piece?

The ref has to judge if the players is 'causing the defence to spread out' and so seeking to gain an advantage etc. by being in an offside position

I suppose if in such a situation offside was always given it would simplify things but then we'd end up with more offsides cos offside would always be given if a player was in an offside position.

Defences could just push up causing a player to be in an offside position...like George Graham's Arsenal with their synchronized appeals for offside.I never quite got why offside was given when it was the defence 'causing' a player to be offside rather than the attacker seeking an advantage.

I don't understand changing rules every so many years. Offside is offside it's simple and effective and when refs get it wrong it makes for great debate. That's why we love the beautiful game.

Same with goal line technology the controversy is what makes football the greatest game ever.

The Lukaku one is interesting..what if Lukaku ignored the pass, Mirellas ran thru to collect the ball, Lukaku then made a run to goal and Mirellas crossed/passed for him to score whilst in an onside position. he'd possibly not have been able to get in a position to score without having been in an offside position to start with. How far back does the ref go??

The Lukaku example is ridiculous!

It said that he kept up with play and made himself available for a pass from Mirallas.

How can he be deemed as not affecting play if the Mirallas could either pass to him or take on the shot himself?

The keeper's judgement is certainly affected by Lukaku's presence.

Sorry, it's back to basics for me.

If someone is standing offside, get yer flag up Liner!

The Lukaku example is ridiculous!

It said that he kept up with play and made himself available for a pass from Mirallas.

How can he be deemed as not affecting play if the Mirallas could either pass to him or take on the shot himself?

The keeper's judgement is certainly affected by Lukaku's presence.

Sorry, it's back to basics for me.

If someone is standing offside, get yer flag up Liner!

But offside is only if the person receives the pass, Lukaku could be 20 yards offside, as long as he is onside when he receives the pass is all that matters.

But offside is only if the person receives the pass,

But as has been suggested his presence in an offside position (even before any pass is made, even if not passed to him or he never gets to the ball) could influence the keeper's positioning. Up to the ref to judge if in his opinion the player is interfering/seeking to gain an advantage etc...for me that's why the 'in the ref's opinion' bit is so important.

Lukaku could be 20 yards offside, as long as he is onside when he receives the pass is all that matters.

See above

But as has been suggested his presence in an offside position (even before any pass is made, even if not passed to him or he never gets to the ball) could influence the keeper's positioning. Up to the ref to judge if in his opinion the player is interfering/seeking to gain an advantage etc...for me that's why the 'in the ref's opinion' bit is so important.

See above

But isn't the interfering with play thing another "new rule". Offside is offside simple, if the player receives the ball onside but he was offside during the build up then surely that's just good tactics and the defence need to come up with a better tactic.

I was just refreshing my knowledge of a few things...I think these are correct

If a team scores an own goal direct from a free kick a corner is awarded

A keeper can score directly from a drop kick or from throwing the ball into play but not from a goal kick

You can no longer throw the ball against an opposition player deliberately to get possession back..as I seem to recall Dean Saunders did to Mussie..that's I believe considered to be ungentlemanly conduct

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/affederation/federation/81/42/36/lawsofthegameen.pdf

If the law is so unclear that it needs interpretation for the benefit of experts and re-interpretation every few years, then the law needs to be rewritten. Referees must not be told how to think, they should be allowed to interpret the laws as written, and the laws state: "in the opinion of the referee"

I remember being very frustrated with the offside law in the 1970's and 1980's etc when offside led to a lot of goals being disallowed and lot of stoppages in play. Often the player in question was well away from the ball and not interfering in the moment. There were two other major frustrations - the foul on the player through on goal and only get booked situation and the repetitive wasting of time by passing the ball back to the keeper who then walked round the box for ages.

All of these downside situations that spoiled the game have been addressed by rule changes. So I am dead against a return to the simple offside rule because despite the problems we are talking about here re current rule interpretation, the simple rule was harmful to game's entertainment and rightly changed.

Archived