onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

(OVF) Pope: contract delays are a ‘gamble’

Guest OVF Feature

Advert

You are spot on Rob.

My view is exactly the same as yours, and that of Tom Pope (though he has a vested interest in proceedings!).

Try your best to sign up your few key players well in advance before their heads are turned and they get a better offer, of which it takes only one. And we are perhaps talking of only maybe 3-4 players out of about 15-16 aren't we?

You are spot on Rob.

My view is exactly the same as yours, and that of Tom Pope (though he has a vested interest in proceedings!).

Try your best to sign up your few key players well in advance before their heads are turned and they get a better offer, of which it takes only one. And we are perhaps talking of only maybe 3-4 players out of about 15-16 aren't we?

Third-ed.

My only issue is if you're not offering everyone a new deal, will those not offered terms feel as committed to the cause? The answer for me is see how fats we get to 52 points, if the play-offs/ relegation are highly unlikely, then make the offers to the players

Third-ed.

My only issue is if you're not offering everyone a new deal, will those not offered terms feel as committed to the cause? The answer for me is see how fats we get to 52 points, if the play-offs/ relegation are highly unlikely, then make the offers to the players

Agree with that. I think Norm too has it in mind to wait and see what happens next few weeks and maybe then take a few players on one side and tell them politely where he stands, i.e. he needs them to stay or they can look elsewhere. Actual talking of hard cash will probably be left until Norm knows for sure what budget he has to play with due to season ticket sales etc.

We're back to the age old situation of Vale not bankrupting themselves as opposed to balancing matters with certain players taking the lion's share of the money available. None of us want to see financial problems occurring but also we do want a successful Club! Who would be an Owner, eh?

but it's the same with players holding the club to ransom for better pay they can see what the home gates are like and what money is coming to the club by sponsorship and sales don't forget £190000 has to be spent on new floodlights

Third-ed.

I would imagine if you haven't got a deal and you want to stay then you are likely to put in a shift to impress.

I would stress that my personal view is that it should only be the core of the side who are under long-term contract. For next season, Neal, Lines and Moore are already under contract (which is generally good, I think) plus the "potentials" - Andoh, Campion and Deen-Conteh who are also under contract. I would think if early agreement could be reached with O'Connor, Marshall and Pope (if only a deal could be reached) then that would be fantastic. I suspect Brown will be given a player-coach role too.

Robertson, Johnson, Dodds, Williamson, Lloyd, Veseli, Birchall, Yates and Nimely are all out of contract in June, I believe. I suspect some will be offered deals, some won't, some will stay and some will leave. That's up to the manager and finances, really.

However, we have the problem of Duffy, McGivern, Dickinson and Daniel - all handed two year deals by the previous manager and therefore under contract till the end of next season. Are they in Page's plans and if not, would we be able to get rid?

Archived