onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

non-vale posts

Bea Smith

Advert

I love reading OVF, and it is an outstanding football site that is invaluable to Vale fans and also other clubs supporters who may be playing us, or connected to the club via a transfer or former player and want information.

Increasingly though, the number of threads and posts related to non-Vale items is swamping the forum, and although it is easy to say ignore them or don't read them, they hog the 'latest' list and push Vale items off the list so they have to be sought after.

This is mainly due to a very small number of posters, who one feels may not really be classed as Vale fans. In order to avoid another 28 slanging match posts I wont name anybody, but I have just spent a couple of quick minutes checking one prolific know-all, whose last 100 posts have contained just TWO that were Vale related.

One of the two was just having a go at someone who made an unimportant error on a score (that we won 2-0, not 2-1 at Crawley). Then there are the political posts, sometimes these are a bit more interesting, but again they push the Vale stuff off the radar and out of sight.

We also have another poster who clearly supports a Premiership club much more than Vale and spews forth endless drivel and actually enjoys being baited about them as it gives him licence to write another tortuous long post about their players, ex-players, fans, pets, relatives and abloutions.

OK, people can post what they like, but is there any chance of splitting the forum list in two, so we have a Vale related threads latest list, and another list for the err,, 'gentlemen' who wish to write endlessly on 'other subjects' - it doesn't seem to matter what the subjects are, they just enjoy the argument. Yes, it is something I have been drawn into too at times if I am honest.

However, this is a Port Vale site and however fascinating it is to discuss the moral rights of tasering or whether UKIP will make Fish and Chips compulsory, and there is a place for such discussions, the Vale stuff should get priority every time and push the mundane stuff off the list into a little world of its own list which will suit the 'not very Vale related' posters.

Oh one doesn't feel some of the posters can be classed as Vale, does one? One does not think questioning the integrity of other supporters is a very good idea.

Also where does it say you have to be a Vale fan to post? TP posts more vale related,sense on here than most Vale fans and he's a ****fan!!!

I wont name anybody, but I have just spent a couple of quick minutes checking one prolific know-all, whose last 100 posts have contained just TWO that were Vale related.

That's probably me ..the lying, hypocritical manipulative shyster of OVF ;) Or am i being paranoid ??:)

One of the two was just having a go at someone who made an unimportant error on a score (that we won 2-0, not 2-1 at Crawley).

Probably me again..can't belive anyone thinks I wss genuinely having a go:doh:

OK, people can post what they like, but is there any chance of splitting the forum list in two, so we have a Vale related threads latest list, and another list for the err,, 'gentlemen' who wish to write endlessly on 'other subjects' - it doesn't seem to matter what the subjects are, they just enjoy the argument. Yes, it is something I have been drawn into too at times if I am honest.

Probably a good idea

However, this is a Port Vale site and however fascinating it is to discuss the moral rights of tasering or whether UKIP will make Fish and Chips compulsory, and there is a place for such discussions, the Vale stuff should get priority every time and push the mundane stuff off the list into a little world of its own list which will suit the 'not very Vale related' posters.

Again probably a good idea

Sheffield United are predicting up to 3,000 travelling fans so we should easily make a 7,000 crowd maybe over 8,000 or even 9,000. I'd settle for a point myself, three would be fantastic as a Christmas extra.

Can this be moved from the off topic section please, we don't want Vale stuff cluttering it up ;)

Probably the simplest reason why the forum was dominated by non-Vale issues for a while is that we didn't have a match for a fortnight!

Well, for what it's worth... here's my reply:

1. OVF is predominantly Vale-based. Looking away from the forum I've published 3,000+ posts, added 1,000+ photos, run a Prediction League and so on... The forum is also mainly Vale-focused - there's five Vale opinion forums, there's two Vale news forums and just three forums about other subjects.

2. However, I don't class this site as (pardon the pun) just black and white Vale or nothing. I think we represent a wider society and there are issues out there that affect all of us. I also cannot dictate to people what they want to post about. If they want to post in the three non-Vale forums, then there's no criteria to say they can't.

Having said that... there's a number of things you can do:

1. You can bookmark just the Port Vale section of the forum - http://www.onevalefan.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?3-Port-Vale-FC and go to that, thus avoiding the non-Vale threads.

2. You can choose to ignore posters whose views you feel are irrelevant or that annoy you.

3. The "Hot Topics" section at the top merely reflects what the busiest topics are. If you feel it is "clogged up" with non-Vale issues, there is an arrow to minimise it so you don't see it.

I would finish by saying that OVF is getting close to 20 years online (in its various forms). We're still here despite regular prophecies of us not seeing the year out, being overtaken by Facebook and so on (deviating from my point for a moment, in many ways, the upsurge in Facebook/Twitter is a good thing it gives fans a choice of which social media platform to follow Vale on - all I would argue is OVF is moderated and those platforms are not - but you are all free to pick your favourite). Back to the point - I think one of the reasons we are still here is because it's more than just a football forum. It's news, it's club history, it's other issues (I don't agree with some of them but as long as they are in the rules they are allowed), it's a group of friends (and in some cases, enemies). The vast majority of us are mainly here for Vale issues and because we want the club to succeed - but it's not Vale or nothing in my view.

And going back to my original sentence - I strongly suspect that once something interesting happens on or off the pitch at Vale, rather than the relatively quiet period we've just had, then the dominant topics will once again be Vale related.

I love reading OVF, and it is an outstanding football site that is invaluable to Vale fans and also other clubs supporters who may be playing us, or connected to the club via a transfer or former player and want information.

Increasingly though, the number of threads and posts related to non-Vale items is swamping the forum, and although it is easy to say ignore them or don't read them, they hog the 'latest' list and push Vale items off the list so they have to be sought after.

This is mainly due to a very small number of posters, who one feels may not really be classed as Vale fans. In order to avoid another 28 slanging match posts I wont name anybody, but I have just spent a couple of quick minutes checking one prolific know-all, whose last 100 posts have contained just TWO that were Vale related.

One of the two was just having a go at someone who made an unimportant error on a score (that we won 2-0, not 2-1 at Crawley). Then there are the political posts, sometimes these are a bit more interesting, but again they push the Vale stuff off the radar and out of sight.

We also have another poster who clearly supports a Premiership club much more than Vale and spews forth endless drivel and actually enjoys being baited about them as it gives him licence to write another tortuous long post about their players, ex-players, fans, pets, relatives and abloutions.

You've started another off topic thread to clog up the forum to raise your point ;)

If you read on the mobile site they are indeed broken down and separated by category...and you don't see the daft minus scores attributed to posts by people who can't justify an alternative opinion in written form, winner all round :)

Wow, someone got out of bed the wrong side - Christmas cheer to you too.

It's not negative when you propose a solution to a problem, something you might like to note for your own posts.

Yes, it is in off-topic and it is actually Vale related too, as it speaks about being able to access Vale posts.

I do happen to post rather more than the 2 per cent Vale posts that one poster did in his last 100 too.

Now collect your toys up, back in the pram and ask Daddy to push you away somewhere, don't go too near any cliffs though will you?

Who said its a problem, it might be to you but it doesn't seem to be to the masses?

If that's the case Rob can hardly set up a different viewing forum for each individual member.

Your first post on this thread was not a joke, it was an unprovoked personal attack on someone who has never said a word against you previously. Don't act surprised if you get a mouthful back.

I made a proposal - you may not agree with it, if not say why by all means. Instead, you waded in with saying I am 'someone so negative' then claim it was a joke - sorry, my little friend it didn't come across that way at all. Remember that advice of attack the post, not the poster?

your quote - you don't half post on them a lot. me; 1410 posts you: 7500 +

Quick reply to this message Reply Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

I do love your analysis Bea, you've gone through JA's with a fine tooth comb and now quote how many others are posting.

Feel free to analyse mine if you like ;)

Sheffield United are predicting up to 3,000 travelling fans so we should easily make a 7,000 crowd maybe over 8,000 or even 9,000. I'd settle for a point myself, three would be fantastic as a Christmas extra.

Christmas greetings to you and all other Port Vale fans too and everyone at the club, and wishes for a happy and above all a healthy New Year.

Any chance we could stay on topic on off topic! ;)

I do happen to post rather more than the 2 per cent Vale posts that one poster did in his last 100 too.

Good for you ;) I think that might be me again though :(

What's the percentage one has to reach to be classed as a real Vale fan? Anyone know?

I'm bored with this now (and for clarity whe I say 'this' I mean this thread, not this site nor this forum...just so no one misunderstands :) )

Toodle pip

Your first post on this thread was not a joke, it was an unprovoked personal attack on someone who has never said a word against you previously. Don't act surprised if you get a mouthful back.

I made a proposal - you may not agree with it, if not say why by all means. Instead, you waded in with saying I am 'someone so negative' then claim it was a joke - sorry, my little friend it didn't come across that way at all. Remember that advice of attack the post, not the poster?

your quote - you don't half post on them a lot. me; 1410 posts you: 7500 +

Quick reply to this message Reply Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Oh my we are an angry little man! How on earth was it an unprovoked personal attack. Get a grip man. And if you are are going to quote, please don't pick out half sentences to change the context and act like a victim. I was saying you were negative about non vale threads, not 'someone so negative'. Even if you can't see the humour, surely a bit of an over reaction.

Archived