onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Oh dear Ronnie.

Howjy04

Advert

I totally disagree. You are simply talking from an Adult point of view. From a Child's point of view they are naturally seen as role models and if they see their role models after committing such a crime, can carry on playing football, in their mind they see such crimes as acceptable.

When I was younger John Rudge's squad as far as I am concerned were squeaky clean and in the same era you never heard the top clubs have such scandals with players. Name one player in the late eighties who committed such a crime.

No remorse, no apology and just pure selfishness. That is Ched Evans.

No apology because he believes hes innocent. Would you apologise for something you believed you hadn't done? And for him to stick to that argument is costing him money:if he'd been released, came out and said "sorry", he'd probably have a club now. For him to deny himself the chance of signing for a club must mean he really does believe hes innocent.

If he was a plumber or a welder, would companies wanting to take him on be picketed by protesters. Just because the job Evans does is a high profile, well paid job, does that mean he shouldn't be allowed to do it?

Hes served the sentence the British judicial system deemed appropriate for his crimes. He should be allowed to get a job without people protesting about. I'm sure the same people complain about the "criminal classes" coming out of prison and claiming benefits.

But he's a role model as are all players whether they like it or not. You don't see electricians etc being idolised by impressionable kids who chant their names. My flatmate is a doctor, if he did what Evans has been found guilty of he wouldn't have a career in his industry, if a teacher had done the same he wouldn't either etc.

I think football has so far taken a sensible stance and he should look for alternative work.

Well, he'd obviously be banned from doing those jobs, as you well know. And considering his crime, quite rightly so.

The argument people are using, is that as a professional footballer, hes someone who children look up to as a role model. And theres my problem: footballers shouldn't be role models. A few of them are quite abhorrent people. They're there just entertainment professionals. Lets not put them on this "role model" pedestal, and just accept them as people we pay to watch for a couple of hours on a Saturday afternoon.

Whether you like it or not sadly they are though, kids chant their names and mimick their actions on the pitch. They also look up to the lifestyle they can achieve.

Having both a son and a daughter I can see both sides of the argument here. The truth is no one really knows what happened, and what influence the demon drink had that evening. I'm sure it influenced the decision making of both parties.

That said he has been found guilty in a court of law. He either needs to clear his name or show some remorse and accept that he was guilty.

Until that happens one way or another then quite rightly no clubs will touch him with a barge pole

Whether you like it or not sadly they are though' date=' kids chant their names and mimick their actions on the pitch. They also look up to the lifestyle they can achieve.[/quote']

Correct. The players accept the money and the glory, and therefore have to accept that high standards of behaviour are expected. If they don't want that then they should stick with parks football.

As stated earlier their are numerous other professions who would not accept him back.

Well, he'd obviously be banned from doing those jobs, as you well know. And considering his crime, quite rightly so.

The argument people are using, is that as a professional footballer, hes someone who children look up to as a role model. And theres my problem: footballers shouldn't be role models. A few of them are quite abhorrent people. They're there just entertainment professionals. Lets not put them on this "role model" pedestal, and just accept them as people we pay to watch for a couple of hours on a Saturday afternoon.

My point was that he wasn't a plumber or welder either.

I just think its not a simple case, and to be honest I don't now what the right thing is. I believe in second chances, but whether that included exactly the same chances as previously, i can't decide.

I understand your point with regards the role model argument, though whether we like it or not, young people do look up to them. If he was a TV personality, would he be allowed back on prime time TV for example? My point is that people argue that if he did other jobs, he would be allowed to go back to work, but that isn't necessarily the case. They argue why should football be different, when there are many careers which would also be affected by such a crime. Why should they be any different?

I can't decide whats right or wrong in this one, so won't judge if a team takes a chance on him, especially one at the bottom of league 2. Many arguments say that he doesn't deserve to walk back into a highly paid job etc, though if he does sign for hartlepool then you could argue that he has had to take a more lowly job in many ways. Im gonna sit on the fence on this one.

Having both a son and a daughter I can see both sides of the argument here. The truth is no one really knows what happened, and what influence the demon drink had that evening. I'm sure it influenced the decision making of both parties.

That said he has been found guilty in a court of law. He either needs to clear his name or show some remorse and accept that he was guilty.

Until that happens one way or another then quite rightly no clubs will touch him with a barge pole

Nail, head, squarely banged.

Archived