onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

The Price Comparison Website

Robbie Earle's Perm

Advert

It's a reasonable idea by the BBC but doesn't it come across a little bit patronising?

In my view, that bloke, Clem, on the Football League show is dreadful - it all comes across as fake sincerity and almost patronising at these "little" clubs and their "quirky" characters. You don't get them going to PL clubs and talking to the playing staff in the same manner, there's a lot more respect (earned or otherwise).

I think this survey is in danger of following the same path as Clem on the Football League show. It's the "pie" and "cup of tea" columns that rile me a little. It seems to suggest that *everyone* who goes to a game would indulge in those.

There's often a lot more involved in going to a game then grabbing a drink and a pie. There's the cost of local transport links (the bus, the car park costs and so on), there's the travel costs to away games (and for some of us home games), the cost of food inside (and outside) a ground, how much fans earn (and can therefore afford to spend on a game) and lots more than simply turning up because a "pie and a tea" is a reasonable price.

It's still a decent idea and I know that covering as many clubs as they do, there has to be some uniform statistics but I do tend to think the whole thing would be better if it stuck to ticket prices, season ticket prices, programme prices and replica kit prices. Those things are relevant to a lot of fans, I just don't think pies and cups of tea are.

It's a reasonable idea by the BBC but doesn't it come across a little bit patronising?

In my view, that bloke, Clem, on the Football League show is dreadful - it all comes across as fake sincerity and almost patronising at these "little" clubs and their "quirky" characters. You don't get them going to PL clubs and talking to the playing staff in the same manner, there's a lot more respect (earned or otherwise).

I think this survey is in danger of following the same path as Clem on the Football League show. It's the "pie" and "cup of tea" columns that rile me a little. It seems to suggest that *everyone* who goes to a game would indulge in those.

There's often a lot more involved in going to a game then grabbing a drink and a pie. There's the cost of local transport links (the bus, the car park costs and so on), there's the travel costs to away games (and for some of us home games), the cost of food inside (and outside) a ground, how much fans earn (and can therefore afford to spend on a game) and lots more than simply turning up because a "pie and a tea" is a reasonable price.

It's still a decent idea and I know that covering as many clubs as they do, there has to be some uniform statistics but I do tend to think the whole thing would be better if it stuck to ticket prices, season ticket prices, programme prices and replica kit prices. Those things are relevant to a lot of fans, I just don't think pies and cups of tea are.

The Football League Show is just plain dreadful in terms of punditry. Leroy Rosenior's inclusion reminds me of Barry from Eastenders on Extras, because he couldn't get a job anywhere else in football.

I have said this before, many years ago - football needs to study the way US sports team market tickets. It's not about the cost, it's about the value you get from buying a season ticket.

One interesting thing I noticed that FC Dallas do, if you have an unused ticket from a game earlier in the season, they allow you to swap that ticket for one of several future games (a restricted short list). Inevitably, those games are ones where the attendance is usually lower, but the cost to the club is zero (typically the season ticket holder will bring a friend, often someone who doesn't usually come) and they get the extra revenue in terms of refreshments, etc.

Whatever you think about sport in the US, the folks here know how to market their products.

I have said this before, many years ago - football needs to study the way US sports team market tickets. It's not about the cost, it's about the value you get from buying a season ticket.

One interesting thing I noticed that FC Dallas do, if you have an unused ticket from a game earlier in the season, they allow you to swap that ticket for one of several future games (a restricted short list). Inevitably, those games are ones where the attendance is usually lower, but the cost to the club is zero (typically the season ticket holder will bring a friend, often someone who doesn't usually come) and they get the extra revenue in terms of refreshments, etc.

Whatever you think about sport in the US, the folks here know how to market their products.

Absolutely. The English game could also learn from the German game as well.

On the flipside, Tone, look at the NFL. Don't they play 2 home pre-season games, then 8 regular season home games? If you are buying a season ticket (which I'm told are not cheap) and your team jets off to play one of its home games at Wembley, then I can imagine many will be disgruntled.

To look at the impact of price increases we only have to look at Vales game away at Preston North End- 13 Quid to go on a 70 milejourney on the coach- then Vale fans have to shell out a further £21 quid to get into to match. Take into consideration the base expectation that many pay for a pie and drink that takes the cost up to £40!!

Now consider the before match beers or food- taking it to possibly another £15 (realistic)

Thats before you consider the father taking his little un or teenager!! Then we run into possibly another £20 so the total cost (assuming the guy or woman only takes one child ) is £75

God help anyone who wants go Blackpool after to see the lights!

And this is one of Vales closest away matches.

To look at the impact of price increases we only have to look at Vales game away at Preston North End- 13 Quid to go on a 70 milejourney on the coach- then Vale fans have to shell out a further £21 quid to get into to match. Take into consideration the base expectation that many pay for a pie and drink that takes the cost up to £40!!

Now consider the before match beers or food- taking it to possibly another £15 (realistic)

Thats before you consider the father taking his little un or teenager!! Then we run into possibly another £20 so the total cost (assuming the guy or woman only takes one child ) is £75

God help anyone who wants go Blackpool after to see the lights!

And this is one of Vales closest away matches.

75 quid for a day out to watch the vale with little one seems more than reasonable to me.

Whats ukips policy on making away days cheaper!

On the flipside, Tone, look at the NFL. Don't they play 2 home pre-season games, then 8 regular season home games? If you are buying a season ticket (which I'm told are not cheap) and your team jets off to play one of its home games at Wembley, then I can imagine many will be disgruntled.

The folks that can afford season tickets to the Cowboys can afford to jet off themselves and watch them at Wembley.

Cheapest ticket to the game against the Giants is over $105.

The folks that can afford season tickets to the Cowboys can afford to jet off themselves and watch them at Wembley.

Cheapest ticket to the game against the Giants is over $105.

A mate of mine was at the Giants game the other week and he got a ticket in the gods for $75. When I was in San Francisco two years ago, I was going to go with the ex- mrs, her cousin and her cousin's husband to see the 49ers. The only four seats I could get together were on the halfway line in the middle of the stand and would have cost just over a thousand dollars for the four- crazy money

Archived