onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Jonathan Trott

For Us All

Advert

Bottom line is England need him, he just needs to do the business now on in with the bat and put the critics in their place. As for the Aussies potentially sledging any England player, we've never turned down/backed out of a tour to the West Indies.

Pick him when Johnson is back in town, not against the medium pacers of Sri Lanka etc. He let his teamates down badly and our country (not his). Also every time he digs half the pitch up to make his mark, fine him 5 runs.

Facing fast bowling is stressful, so is admitting you are a coward.

I have always liked Trott but I tend to agree with Vaughan and Hoggard. It's really disrespectful to people who do have depression and/or other issues to basically dress this up as such. And I think that it's not just the player at fault - the ECB and their media team obviously dressed it up as such.

However, having said that, I think it's easily sortable. I would hope Trott publically apologises (perhaps in conjunction with a voluntary donation to a relevant charity) and then we can draw a line under it. I do think we need him at the moment to offer some experience to what could otherwise be a very inexperienced batting line-up.

I have been close to family members and others who have suffered depression and similar conditions...for him to use terms such as crazy and nutcase in this context is just unforgiveable, especially when combined with him using it as a facade for the real reasons.

No time for him at all and there should be no way back just cos we need him

I have been close to family members and others who have suffered depression and similar conditions...for him to use terms such as crazy and nutcase in this context is just unforgiveable, especially when combined with him using it as a facade for the real reasons.

No time for him at all and there should be no way back just cos we need him

I would argue somewhat differently. Trott has never done anything before (unlike lots of other sportspeople who can be multiple offenders). Yes, his comments are deeply offensive but for a first "offence", shouldn't he be allowed to apologise (as long as it is genuine) and then be forgiven. After all, all he has done is make very unfortunate comments, but he hasn't done anything illegal, injured anyone or robbed anyone?

Or are you operating a "one strike and you're out" system here?

p.s. I do agree he shouldn't be brought in because we need him. Poor choice of words by me there. Perhaps I should rephrase that to "if he comes back he would be useful as an experienced batsman..."

The truth is I probably let my emotions get the better of me....make him go an a course to educate him on these matters, do some publicity for these issues to make something positive come out of it and then think about letting him back in the England fold when he proves he's good enough

It's interesting that the PCA (professional cricketers association) and MIND have both attacked Vaughan's comments.

Link: http://www.espncricinfo.com/england/content/story/728695.html

They have certainly made me re-think the whole issue.

The counter argument is that Trott was suffering from a "stress-related" problem and that the ECB only said that at the time. It is Vaughan who interpreted that to be "depression" but the ECB say there are far more stress-related problems than just depression.

The argument goes that while Trott wasn't depressed he could still be suffering from a stress-related problem that left him "burnt out". They then say that descriptions such as "nutcase" and crazy" were not Trott's description of people suffering from depression but the type of slurs he would expect from announcing this problem.

So, the argument continues, it is Vaughan's lack of knowledge of the subject and his mistake in thinking the ECB were trying to "con" people into thinking it was depression that are wrong.

There's a comment under the article that perhaps expresses it best of all:

"Vaughan seems to be attacking a straw man. Neither Trott nor the ECB ever used the term 'depressed' or 'depression' - they were very careful to use 'stress-related', which is *not* the same thing. To attack them because, in Vaughan's view, Trott turns out not to be depressed,'just' stressed is simply ridiculous."

While this doesn't excuse Trott's phrasing in his interview it certainly made me think who is right and who is wrong in this case...

Pick him when Johnson is back in town, not against the medium pacers of Sri Lanka etc. He let his teamates down badly and our country (not his). Also every time he digs half the pitch up to make his mark, fine him 5 runs.

Facing fast bowling is stressful, so is admitting you are a coward.

Wow. Thats all I have to say to that.

Archived