onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

examples of self sustained success at english prem and league clubs.

BIRCHES HEAD WHITES

well folks the question above is as it reads . based on normans comments last night re living within our means and the obvious upcoming reduction in wage bill for next season , how many clubs can you think of, that have attained any success without any kind of sustained additional investment ? also how many clubs have managed to grow their support by not having , sustained success and additional sustained investment ?

how many clubs out there in the last 10 years have lived within their means and won or achieved anything ?

Advert

well folks the question above is as it reads . based on normans comments last night re living within our means and the obvious upcoming reduction in wage bill for next season , how many clubs can you think of, that have attained any success without any kind of sustained additional investment ? also how many clubs have managed to grow their support by not having , sustained success and additional sustained investment ?

how many clubs out there in the last 10 years have lived within their means and won or achieved anything ?

the most obvious recent example is Yeovil, who got promoted with a bottom 4 budget.

agreed bar1 but norman stated that as a bad example himself last night , as they are now bobbling around at the bottom of the championship . i was thinking more of clubs who had achieved some kind of sustained success. to be honest if yeovil stay up this season i guess that would and should be deemed to be a success really , only time will tell on that .

agreed bar1 but norman stated that as a bad example himself last night , as they are now bobbling around at the bottom of the championship . i was thinking more of clubs who had achieved some kind of sustained success. to be honest if yeovil stay up this season i guess that would and should be deemed to be a success really , only time will tell on that .

Im not quite sure why he would call that one a bad example, in all honesty. We are only half way through the season and as you rightly say, they may well stay up and that would be an achievment. Most teams that get promoted from league 1 will surely expect a tough season? Are we ever going to be in a postion where we get promoted and not expect to struggle? Probably not.

We've heard the same language from our board and to a point I agree them. I don't think it's right that Coates should chuck x amount in to prop us up, it's not good for the long term but You have to balance that with sustaining the league situation. The same goes for You lot I think. You've got to maximise all revenue streams, have a manager who can pick an eye for talent with a resale value and have a good youth system.

Did I read correctly that Smurphwaite isn't convinced with Your development squad? I don't get that at all. Ours so far has been next to useless really but in Hugill You've found one player who probably would have been to Your club if it wasn't for that development squad and he's shown he's good enough so far for league football. It's already been a success. If he has said that (I only scan read the comment on here so I aren't sure) I'd be worried.

Yeovil I think are successful not long out of the Conference, settled in L1 then have a good season. First season ever in the Championship, enjoy it, probably haven`t the population to sustain it, but football is about dreams, only rarely does it happen for teams like Wimbledon and Wigan to have a run in the top league.

Southampton have done well after the blip a few years back and are a fine example of a club with a working youth policy, although hugill has been a sucess i really think that academys are better suited to the big clubs prem/champ, i do think every Man Utd should have tie ins with league 1 and two clubs as a parent club loaning good youngsters out similar to what Arsenal have done with Brenford, for a league two club on a small budget an over staffed Academy is a cost that they can not afford for the cost of an academy you could have the two or three players needed for promotion/stability.

Players like Hugill with obvious talent would be spotted and picked up from None League if they have the talent for nominal fees like a certain Tom Pope, i feel we should cast the net to none league and if the budget is to be reduced make better use of it for the 1st team

We've heard the same language from our board and to a point I agree them. I don't think it's right that Coates should chuck x amount in to prop us up, it's not good for the long term but You have to balance that with sustaining the league situation. The same goes for You lot I think. You've got to maximise all revenue streams, have a manager who can pick an eye for talent with a resale value and have a good youth system.

Did I read correctly that Smurphwaite isn't convinced with Your development squad? I don't get that at all. Ours so far has been next to useless really but in Hugill You've found one player who probably would have been to Your club if it wasn't for that development squad and he's shown he's good enough so far for league football. It's already been a success. If he has said that (I only scan read the comment on here so I aren't sure) I'd be worried.

Hugill is over 21 Bayern. Good scouting could have bought him to the club. Personally I agree with Smurf. We are not big enough for a development squad. So I personally would get rid of it as a saving next year and I think that will happen.

Basically is a nice idea, but simply costs to much.

Archived