onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

examples of self sustained success at english prem and league clubs.

BIRCHES HEAD WHITES

Southampton do have a great youth policy. But it also helps that they're bankrolled by a billionaire.

And isn't Your development squad the opposite of an "over staffed academy"? It's a group of player who won't be on much and if just one of them is good enough for league football I'd imagine it's worth it. And if he was doing well in none league football to a decent level, You wouldn't be paying a nominal fee. Fees nowadays are mental from the Conference up. Of course it depends on his situation but take Hugill for instance, if he was at Gateshead and doing what he was doing You wouldn't get him for less than 50k imo.

Advert

Hugill is over 21 Bayern. Good scouting could have bought him to the club. Personally I agree with Smurf. We are not big enough for a development squad. So I personally would get rid of it as a saving next year and I think that will happen.

Basically is a nice idea, but simply costs to much.

He's 21 isn't he? Which for me is still in the cusp of a decent gamble for a youngish talent. And I'm guessing good scouting did bring him to the club but would he have joined if there wasn't a structure in place for him to be nurtured in? I guess we don't know but I'd imagine it does help. I aren't a development squad fan tbh but it seems to have worked for You and how much does it cost? It can't be that much surely?

Southampton have done well after the blip a few years back and are a fine example of a club with a working youth policy, although hugill has been a sucess i really think that academys are better suited to the big clubs prem/champ, i do think every Man Utd should have tie ins with league 1 and two clubs as a parent club loaning good youngsters out similar to what Arsenal have done with Brenford, for a league two club on a small budget an over staffed Academy is a cost that they can not afford for the cost of an academy you could have the two or three players needed for promotion/stability.

Players like Hugill with obvious talent would be spotted and picked up from None League if they have the talent for nominal fees like a certain Tom Pope, i feel we should cast the net to none league and if the budget is to be reduced make better use of it for the 1st team

Surely a L1 club can run a small academy for local players, partially as a community asset. The Development squad is different, a reserve team in effect, footballers have to learn their trade somewhere, just like apprentices. Was not Tom Pope a student at Crewe academy?

Southampton made a profit be it only 900k but they did, said millionaire at southampton also moans that the rules prevent smaller prem teams of making huge investments the development squad is a bunch of lads released not YTS players on YTS wages, so they will be on guessing 350-500 a week assuming the squad has eleven players and 4 staff on this wage then that is an outlay of £312000 or £6000 per week which by my reckoning is 2 or three players and the 50k to but the none league gem. this is not fact but opinion

Surely a L1 club can run a small academy for local players, partially as a community asset. The Development squad is different, a reserve team in effect, footballers have to learn their trade somewhere, just like apprentices. Was not Tom Pope a student at Crewe academy?

Tom Pope did but so will most players who then drop out every pub team has a lad who had trials or played in a league youth team

Southampton made a profit be it only 900k but they did, said millionaire at southampton also moans that the rules prevent smaller prem teams of making huge investments the development squad is a bunch of lads released not YTS players on YTS wages, so they will be on guessing 350-500 a week assuming the squad has eleven players and 4 staff on this wage then that is an outlay of £312000 or £6000 per week which by my reckoning is 2 or three players and the 50k to but the none league gem. this is not fact but opinion

Did they really? I'm amazed at that it has to be said. They've spent a shed load of money. The said billionaire* at Southampton shouldn't whinge with what they've spent! :D

They won't be on that much at a League One club surely? Maybe I'm living in cloud cuckoo land?!?

He's 21 isn't he? Which for me is still in the cusp of a decent gamble for a youngish talent. And I'm guessing good scouting did bring him to the club but would he have joined if there wasn't a structure in place for him to be nurtured in? I guess we don't know but I'd imagine it does help. I aren't a development squad fan tbh but it seems to have worked for You and how much does it cost? It can't be that much surely?
L1 clubs tend to have small squads, about 25 players, unlike Prem clubs. So a Development squad is useful, costs? I believe we have a coach, plus the squad wages, so not a great expense if it produces a couple of players a season. They play in a league so gain more playing time than being a fringe player in the main squad. Scrapping it would show lack of ambition.

L1 clubs tend to have small squads, about 25 players, unlike Prem clubs. So a Development squad is useful, costs? I believe we have a coach, plus the squad wages, so not a great expense if it produces a couple of players a season. They play in a league so gain more playing time than being a fringe player in the main squad. Scrapping it would show lack of ambition.

That's what I would have thought too re the size and cost.

I aren't a fan of our development squad particularly, there's too many players who should be playing for Nantwich Town in it (no disrespect to Nantwich) but the quality in ours just isn't there.

Tom Pope did but so will most players who then drop out every pub team has a lad who had trials or played in a league youth team
I would not be surprised if 99% of lads dropped out, the clubs are only after the few gems, then as they grow older only a few of the gems make it, but what other way is there? Import players from abroad?

That's what I would have thought too re the size and cost.

I aren't a fan of our development squad particularly, there's too many players who should be playing for Nantwich Town in it (no disrespect to Nantwich) but the quality in ours just isn't there.

Do you need one? Your players will be developed at other clubs and then bought in, any youngsters can be loaned out for game time and exposure to a variety of coaching methods. What would your player recruitment age be? 25?

Do you need one? Your players will be developed at other clubs and then bought in, any youngsters can be loaned out for game time and exposure to a variety of coaching methods. What would your player recruitment age be? 25?

I think we do yeah, lots of players get lost in the system at that age so if You can keep them and develop them Yourself then it makes sense. We need to develop our own players. Loaning players is still an option and is used and I like that too. With the squad You have a team playing regularly and in a more competitive league. And with the loans they're experiencing proper football.

I just don't like the general standard of player we currently have in it!

Archived