onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Would we fill vale park?

paddockboy1876

Advert

Just watched sjoke game, sjoke no shots on target,didn't fill the ground against man utd,would we????

These attendance arguments always seem fairly pointless to me. To be frank: we should be looking at our attendance records before pointing the finger at other clubs. When you take all 92 clubs into account, we are pretty poorly supported. End of story.

I also don't see why there's any issue with Stoke not filling the ground, they would still get more than us each season and almost always have - for over a hundred years. It was the league cup, both teams made changes to their sides, the weather was abysmal, Stoke play half-a-dozen top clubs at home every season anyhow, it's just before Christmas when money is tighter than usual...

In fact, I would argue that Vale being the smaller of the two clubs just makes that long run of wins over Stoke more satisfying. We are in some Stoke fans' eyes a poorly supported, unimportant, lower division side - and the fact that we were unbeaten against them for season after season in the 90's therefore makes our achievements even better.

So, I've no reason to try and downplay Stoke's bigger crowds or indeed pretend Vale have a bigger supporter base than we do.

For me, it's quality and not quantity that counts...

The first few times yes, then the novelty would wear off after a while. 26,000 was fairly decent tonight, compare that to Sunderland last night where there was just 20,000......

How many thousand United fans does that include? If it wasn't for them you could have heard a pin drop. They seemed to take over the whole stadium. Very disappointing from the ground self nicknamed 'the bear pit' and the self proclaimed 'loud and proud' fans. There's an air of decline around SCFC at the moment.

really poor effort from Stoke both on and off the pitch last night. Their support was embarrassingly quiet, although this is understandable when considering the 'nothing' football they play. Quite how they watch that each week without nodding off i don't know. At least Pulis got some balls into the box and created the odd chance. Crouchy must be pulling his hair out.

All they have to look forward to now is a relegation battle for the rest of the season. With players like 'Arnie' in their side there is every chance they will be off their high horses very soon

In fact, I would argue that Vale being the smaller of the two clubs just makes that long run of wins over Stoke more satisfying. We are in some Stoke fans' eyes a poorly supported, unimportant, lower division side - and the fact that we were unbeaten against them for season after season in the 90's therefore makes our achievements even better.

So, I've no reason to try and downplay Stoke's bigger crowds or indeed pretend Vale have a bigger supporter base than we do.

For me, it's quality and not quantity that counts...

Always been my argument to Stoke fans i.e. little old Port Vale were whipping your red and white ***** for the whole of the 90's..

I accept and am more tha happy with following the smaller club in the area - the club I love. I couldn't give a monkey's about them or their crowds.

I remember many Stokies bubbling with frustration that we even exist - just like an annoying Black and White wasp getting right in their face!

As you say Rob - quality over quantity every time - VTID

But a lot better than "massive" Sunderland who had 17000 of their own fans for the Chelsea game the night before. Our support isn't wonderful, but it holds up pretty well against clubs of a similar standing these days. Everton are flying high yet pulled 33,000 for their last game (8,000 empty seats), Villa regularly get the same. West Brom played Man City the other week and the ground was only 3/4 full.

It's expensive being a football fan these days, don't begrudge any fan giving games a miss with Xmas around the corner.......

There were less at Sunderland because their fans weren't naive enough to think they had a chance of winning the cup. I feel sorry for all the brave potters last night having to sit in traffic jams, get drenched, then frozen half to death in a silent morgue, watching that shower of ****. The hail storm was the highlight of the night and i'm surprised Sky haven't offered a compensation package to viewers that bothered to stay tuned in. Lets just hope you can pull something out of the bag against Villa or else it could be a very bleak Christmas

There were less at Sunderland because their fans weren't naive enough to think they had a chance of winning the cup. I feel sorry for all the brave potters last night having to sit in traffic jams' date=' get drenched, then frozen half to death in a silent morgue, watching that shower of ****. The hail storm was the highlight of the night and i'm surprised Sky haven't offered a compensation package to viewers that bothered to stay tuned in. Lets just hope you can pull something out of the bag against Villa or else it could be a very bleak Christmas[/quote']

I have the half price Sky for 6 months offer. Sat down last night to watch the "Mighty Potters" fight a hard contest against an ailing United side. Saw an immensely drab affair, with one team strolling to victory. If they continue to show Stoke and the likes there is no way I will be renewing my subscription. It is unfair that Stoke take an equal share of so much TV money with the rest of the Premier League and then provide entertainment of such poor quality. Fair play to Ashley Young for at least attempting the beautiful game with a show of pace and quality despite the conditions.

Sky, you are killing football, allowing clubs like Stoke to feed off your money just to stay heads above water with no obligation to entertain or improve. Every season, decent ambitious clubs in the Championship are further away from being able to compete because you look after number 1, the Premier League. Shame on you.

I have the half price Sky for 6 months offer. Sat down last night to watch the "Mighty Potters" fight a hard contest against an ailing United side. Saw an immensely drab affair, with one team strolling to victory. If they continue to show Stoke and the likes there is no way I will be renewing my subscription. It is unfair that Stoke take an equal share of so much TV money with the rest of the Premier League and then provide entertainment of such poor quality. Fair play to Ashley Young for at least attempting the beautiful game with a show of pace and quality despite the conditions.

Sky, you are killing football, allowing clubs like Stoke to feed off your money just to stay heads above water with no obligation to entertain or improve. Every season, decent ambitious clubs in the Championship are further away from being able to compete because you look after number 1, the Premier League. Shame on you.

i have no doubt that if they could get away with it then Stoke matches would be non existent on Sky. It really is bleak entertainment and i don't blame you for not wanting to renew your package. Bar Aston Villa, the current bottom half of the Premiership are basically Championship size clubs with Championship players offering non league entertainment. The must not lose at any cost attitude to games really is a drab affair for the neutral to put up with. If that was Stoke 'going for it' last night then i would hate to see them playing more solid tactics.

I know lots of Stoke fans that wouldn't mind one bit if they got relegated. Their only worry is that this could spell financial disaster for them because they would be lumbered with players on high wages that nobody else wants.

Financial disaster? One of the best run clubs around. I'd soon get over relegation myself, happens to most teams eventually.....

don't shoot the messenger mate. They have a point though, as the majority of your squad have no re-sale value and teams wouldn't want to take them off your hands on such big wages. Let's not forget Coates wants your club to be sustainable and refuses to pump more of his own money into the club. The downward spiral could be just around the corner?

Archived