onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Police or Fire service??

scVale

Why dont you have a look at the Armed Force's see what they have to offer. They also have police & fire (RAF only) trades.

With your qualifications I would imagain it would be worth looking at a commision.

Looked into RAF fire brigade but I wear glasses and I'm sure I read somewhere you can't have corrected vision at all. Apparently in the civilian service you can have specially made breathing apparatus. Have done a bit of research into joining the armed forces as an officer though, believe you train at Sandhurst???.

Advert

All good stuff :)

Seems you know in a somewhat abstaract way what you want but are struggling to tie it down. For example my brother always wanted to be a music teacher and so pay, promotion etc didn't come into it for him..he just wanted to do that job!!

Seems to me it might be worth putting together a pros and cons list for each and then scoring each pro and con according to their importance to you and that will give you a guide perhaps

Police Pros Cons

Nice uniform (1) Lots of admin (-5)

Decent benefits (3) Poor pay (-3)

Early retirement (9) get called a pig a lot (-100)

Overall - 95 (not for me)

Fire Pros Cons

Bigger helmet (100) Fires (-80)

Lots of time off (40) Rescuing cats (-6)

Overall 54 (Job's a good un)

Good luck

Cheers Johnny interesting idea, always good to have a bigger helmet haha. Yeah like you say though got a rough idea now after years of deliberation but just can't quite decide on the best route to go down in the public services field

Just to add to that - due to the current economic climate, you will probably find it very hard to get into and Fire Service for a few years to come. My advice would be to look at your local FRS and seek opportunities to be a volunteer, in this case when they do eventually recruit you have the upper hand on the thousands of people that will be applying.

Also be prepared to apply for any FRS within the UK just to get your foot in the door, you can always transfer later down the line.

Some good advice there Richie, cheers. My dad used to be a retainer in Kidsgrove and he advised me to inquire if I decided on the fire brigade, similarily I've been advised to consider the specials if I decide on the police. Always good to get in there early I guess.

Looked into RAF fire brigade but I wear glasses and I'm sure I read somewhere you can't have corrected vision at all. Apparently in the civilian service you can have specially made breathing apparatus. Have done a bit of research into joining the armed forces as an officer though, believe you train at Sandhurst???.

I am trying to rack my brains as to whether I ever saw an RAF Fireman with glasses, apart from in the bar.

You may also want to look at the MoD Fire Service as an option as well or indeed the MoD Police.

As a disclaimer for me, my opinion of the MoD coppers and Military Police is not a good one as they never caught me during my 24 years.

The Office Training for the Army is at Sandhurst, RAF is at Cranwell and the RN offices are at Dartmouth.

Hope you find something you enjoy. One thing I will say regardless if it’s the Police, Fire or Armed Force you opt for. It’s defiantly not just a job more a way of life.

If you have a degree the Police offers better opportunities to progress but you have to do time as a PCSO or a Special now for most forces. The salary they offer can be reduced by around15% because of Pension Contributions.

The Fire Service is more about working as a team and there is a lot of overkill H&S wise. Again you have to start at the bottom. There is probably as much extraction of dead and dying than fighting fires.

Personally out of the two I be a busy..the problem is there is NO chance of getting a job in either at the mo.Try being a special constable or a retained fire fighter then you'll know without committing yourself.

You may also want to look at the MoD Fire Service as an option as well or indeed the MoD Police.

As a disclaimer for me, my opinion of the MoD coppers and Military Police is not a good one as they never caught me during my 24 years.

Agree with that we had a SIB gomp at our house after my mate ,who had gone AWOL. I'm sure his brain had been removed

I am trying to rack my brains as to whether I ever saw an RAF Fireman with glasses, apart from in the bar.

The Office Training for the Army is at Sandhurst, RAF is at Cranwell and the RN offices are at Dartmouth.

Hope you find something you enjoy. One thing I will say regardless if it’s the Police, Fire or Armed Force you opt for. It’s defiantly not just a job more a way of life.

Think the way of life is something which I want, that structure and relative certainty. I like to have a clear structure with continguencies etc. Never thought about MoD fireservice, the red caps does look good aswell.

Being a fire-fighter is a cracking job - I would never say otherwise. The good side to the job by far outweighs the boring/politics side of the job.

The training is broad and constantly changing which means you always have to adapt, and people will always have fires which is what your core training teaches you to deal with on a day to day basis no matter how big or small. That would be a massive plus for me in my pros and cons.

Don't forget about the whole range of rescues the fire service now get called out to do including RTCs, Water Incidents, Rope Rescue, Trains, Trams etc etc.

Go big or go home!

VR

The job has changed so much since my time, which I enjoyed so much.We had tremendous team spirit and also supported our community in many ways,by fund raising for worthy causes.I speak to lads in the job today and they say it is cut throat and spoilt by the "claim" society that we live in!The attack on their jobs is a major concern as all those that have needed their service are fully appreciative.The public still hold them in high esteem and also the paramedics/air ambulance.

Archived