onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Vale Away Followings (league 2)

Gazleese

Its because you are doing well otherwise they are average like everybody elses.

Next season somebody else will be doing well and have good away support

so what about the last few seasons when we've taken 2000+ away on numerous occasions when we weren't doing well?

Advert

Said it before but Vale's away support has always been better for Northern and Midland games.

A couple of the folllowings this year have been embarrassing, namely Southend and Bristol Rovers.

Rovers were rightly mocking our low numbers, they wouldn't have turned out in such pitiful numbers if the roles were reversed.

Midweek game, bad weather, in a bad run, blah blah blah....all poor excuses really.

I'm not dissing our support, when it's good it's good BUT we really aren't that different to lots of clubs' fans.

Ridiculous!

Ridiculous!

No it isn't. We travel well midlands and north and that's it. Our following at Cheltenham and Bristol rovers was dire. I can't stand all this " our support is magnificent" stuff and "we shouldn't be in the same league as burton" when we take 207 to the memorial ground.

Plymouth have the only well rounded away support in this division.

Our support can be supperb, it can also be mediocre, let's just enjoy it rather than brag about it, is it any wonder some people don't like us.

Well said. Seems Warrington touched a nerve. Incidentally burton took 11000 to old Trafford, double our home average gate. ThAt make them worthy of a top 3 spot then?

You get promoted on points not away support.

No it isn't. We travel well midlands and north and that's it. Our following at Cheltenham and Bristol rovers was dire. I can't stand all this " our support is magnificent" stuff and "we shouldn't be in the same league as burton" when we take 207 to the memorial ground.

Plymouth have the only well rounded away support in this division.

I agree with you about Plymouth their away support is nothing short of magnificent. That said you choose to use a couple of examples to try to justify your argument so I could counter with the great support at Barnet and Gillingham (on an absolutely awful day weather wise). So like I said - ridiculous!

Fact actually. Highest average away following last year despite all our problems (source football league website) and very similar i the two seasons previous. Sorry if this has already been mentioned.

Yes, fact.

As long as we don't include AFC Wimbledon, Shrewsbury, Bristol Rovers, Plymouth, Oxford and Swindon.

Click HERE for source.

Yes, fact.

As long as we don't include AFC Wimbledon, Shrewsbury, Bristol Rovers, Plymouth, Oxford and Swindon.

Click HERE for source.

With respect Jacky that was for 2011-12, the last year of Mold. I think it'll be a bit different this season.

Did you march from the Cine Bowl to Cobridge aswell?:ohmy::thumbs:

No, I was only 14 then ('67/8ish?), stood an imposing 4 foot 11in, and by then had nearly grown into my 1964 (adult-size) parka. Mods were in the majority by around '67/'68, but by then I'd started playing the drums and getting arty-farty.........

07/08, relegation season, but also worth remembering the location of teams throughout the division. 08/09 was our worst points total and / or final position in most Vale fans' lifetime. Since then our away followings have been brilliant. Most seasons however, our followings have been propped up by the large local followings, regardless of how well we've been doing. In the 09/10 season we were mid to lower half of the table and took over 1100 to Shrewsbury followed 7 days later with 2300 to Crewe, which we always sell out so could have taken more. This season, despite the odd one or two poor followings, the theory that we never take large numbers anywhere over an hour away has been blown apart. Over 700 to Gillingham (Rotherham took 350 there on Monday, still in the hunt for automatic, and on the back of a win on Friday), over 700 to Torquay, 800 to Barnet, 900 to Oxford, 1000 to York, 1000 to Northampton. We've then had night matches at Fleetwood 1200, Burton 2200. No matter how you dress it up, distance, price, whatever...those figures are impressive. We've just taken over 2000 to Chesterfield, and look likely to take well over 2000 to our other 2 remaining away fixtures, probably closer to 3000 for both. Throw into the mix the 3300 to Sheffield United in the cup, and you've got one of the best supported away teams not only in this league, but in the whole of the football league at this moment in time.

Let the Stoke fans clutch at straws and pick out the small number of poor turn outs. But there are a lot of figures there, close games and far distances, that are amazing for this level of football.

Archived