onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

In praise of Tom Pope

Gazleese

Popey for England.

A great goal. It's well worth watching it again just for his technique. How many players do you see in that position prodding the ball too far forward and letting the keeper make a save? Not with Popey - sublime second touch and exquisite chip over the goalie. Not spectacular but a cracking goal nevertheless. In this form there can't be many better strikers in L1, 2 or the Championship for that matter.

Advert

Last season Marc Richards, as often as not, appeared to be in Tom Pope's space and so Pope wasn't as effective. Pope is much better being the target man/leading the line and a pacey/clever player like a Williamson/Dodds playing off him. Watching the highlights on Valiant Player I've been really impressed how he attacks the ball in the air in the box and if twinned with a pacey/clever player could play Championship football at least.

His finish against Rotherham was simply brilliant showing a player brimming with confidence.

Agree totally I thought the same last season but his finishing was not there

Players like Tom are a rarity and will always be in demand. If you study his assets you will see that there is far more to his game than just his LOVELY GOALS. He wins 90% of the balls played to him with a clever flick on fo his team mates. He leads the line better than anyone we have had for years.

Another big plus to his game is that he gets knocked down but just gets up and carries on, where he asks and gives no quarter.

I was so proud of his display against the Millers and he had me in tears of pride when he produced his latest exquisite finish. He had so long to think about it and these are the hardest to 'put away' because it becomes a 'mind game' with the keeper.

Tom is a VALIANT

Agree totally especially the proud bit

I believe that Tom is so vital to our team that he should be given a new incentive based long term contract. Where would we get another Tom from?.

To my mind he is 'Pope Vale and lets give him what he wants!'.

I joked with him a couple of weeks ago about his statue going up next to Sproey's. Who knows it could turn into a reality......Get them buckets ready.:yes:

There is no doubt that Tom Pope is the most improved footballer not just at Vale but i would say in all 4 divisions. The team is generally improving even Adam Yates is showing what a good steady player he is.

Tom Pope's only downside prior to this season was not enough goals, but now i think we have a complete centre forward, big, powerful, good in the air, clever footballing brain, and now a good eye for goal

my opinion of tom pope as a footballer and as a man in general has totally changed this season. he's had problems as we all know but he has turned his life around and we are reaping he rewards. his game isn't based on pace so there is no reason why he can't stay playing like this for a good few years - the new geoff horsfield? that goal at rotherham was definitely a 'championship' finish and coming off a fairly lean spell just proves to me that he has got 'it'. i'll be amazed if there aren't some serious offers for him in january - i think he'll stay until the summer and get us promoted but unless we give him an amazing new contract he'll be gone next season - and good luck to him if he does!

There is no doubt that Tom Pope is the most improved footballer not just at Vale but i would say in all 4 divisions. The team is generally improving even Adam Yates is showing what a good steady player he is.

Tom Pope's only downside prior to this season was not enough goals, but now i think we have a complete centre forward, big, powerful, good in the air, clever footballing brain, and now a good eye for goal

I think Yates got in the league 2 team of the week this week?.......

Pope is reaping the rewards of his hard work pre-season, and the players around him playng to his strengths and providing him with quality crosses/passes etc. with which to work.

His goals are coming from either foot, head and from close range and further out too.

His main asset to me, is that he gets his shots 'on target', something he and Dodds do well and he does it consistently and that leads to more goals per game.

Long may it continue.

As far as I'm concerned Pope is contributing as much to the team this season as he did last season.

The only difference is he is now scoring the goals instead of setting them up for others (mainly Richards)

In the close season I got slaughtered on here for stating what a good player Pope was for us. I also got criticised on here by the same people for stating that we would'nt miss Richards. To think that a large number of Vale fans wanted Pope to leave and for Richards to stay, how foolish they must now feel.

A few weeks back I started a thread having a sarcastic dig at Pope and sat back knowing what kind of reaction I would get. People thought I was trying to be funny and said that I was'nt. Others thought I was sad and got quite personal in their criticism of me with the remarks that they made. Whereas I just laughed because most missed the irony of it all. The same folk who criticised me for defending Pope were now the very same people who criticised me for having an ironic and sarcastic dig at him.

How totally 2 faced most people are on here. Probably the biggest hypocrite has 3 numbers after his "name" (you know who you are)

Pope has improved his fitness levels, of that there is little doubt. But to say he a better player compared to last season are obviously the comments made by folk who know nothing about football.

Archived