onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

new signings

LORNE STREET KEV

Advert

Just to point out, we hardly progressed with him when he was here and he was very average for 12 months before he left.

There are better players out there for us.

We could (and most of us did) say that about pope, but one player cant make a team progress on their own (unless you are maradona!). I think he would be a massive improvement on what we have. Our biggest weakness is that we lost the only centre half with a bit of pace and didn't replace him (or did replace him, but with more lumbering players). There is at least 2 divisions worth of class between him and mcdonald.

Lee Collins would be a perfect signing who would offer stability and pace at the back. It would also show the ambition of the new owners if we could sign him from Barnsley initially on loan then a cash deal in January.

I for one wouldn't want him back. He hasn't hacked it at Barnsley and it seems as though he he is struggling at Shrewsbury. If we are building a team to compete in Div One why should take back a player who is not performing well at that level.

I agree with those who say that Collins had lost his way a bit and wasn't as consistent as he should have been.

He was fine at first with Shrewsbury but has recently dropped to the bench.

However, he seemed to enjoy it here and would be plenty good enough behind Vincent or at centre back to give us a bit of pace and mobility which we so badly lack. We are in Division Two at present and he would be a good addition as he can play anywhere across the back. I imagine Adams would be pleased to resign him as he seemed disappointed when he left.

OK

For those who say Williamson isnt good enough - well you probably said the same about Pope last season.

If we are going to play two wingers we are going to get over run a bit in midfield no matter who is playing there but we have always known thsi but when we were winning you were all saying its great wonderful football lots of goals. but when we start conceding as many as we score e.g. 2-2 draws at home all of a sudden a lot of you lose your bottle.

Come on make your minds up do you want two wingers on the pitch at the same time or not? well if you do then you have to accept we will be short in midfield sometimes.

We have a wafer thin squad and injuries and suspensions have bitten hard and we can no longer keep playing the same team as we did when we were winning.

What we need now is square pegs in square holes and to do that we need to sign a left back. after that we need a central midfielder because Murphy is either not fit or not interested and perhaps Mcallister is that man. Up front we are just hugely unlucky that the big man from Southend is injured and we have to find someone else.

We will get promoted this season I have no doubt of that.

Good points.

I think, like Mr Pulis, that if you play two wide men then the central two need to be tall, strong and fit, able to head, tackle and defend first and foremost. We are too wide open/physically weak when we don't have the ball.

Still, to be in second place by now is a remarkably good achievement and despite our frustrations yesterday (and my word it was bad) ALL the players in the squad have helped us to do this. I share your optimism!

"If we are going to play two wingers we are going to get over run a bit in midfield no matter who is playing there but we have always known thsi but when we were winning you were all saying its great wonderful football lots of goals. but when we start conceding as many as we score e.g. 2-2 draws at home all of a sudden a lot of you lose your bottle.

"Come on make your minds up do you want two wingers on the pitch at the same time or not? well if you do then you have to accept we will be short in midfield sometimes."

I do want two wide men to play AJ, and I accept that this will leave us open at times. But I want them to do their playing mainly in the opposition's half. Yesterday, I felt that Taylor and JMW played too deep in the 2nd half, giving York the licence to push forward.

I think Loft is an excellent left-back, so when fit, I would gladly see him remain there! I think an experienced, tall, rangy midfielder (in the Ian Taylor/Stuart Talbot mould) would be ideal for us. I am disappointed Laird went to Southend, as he could have been a solution. Hopefully Adams has some good contacts and get such a player in. We also, like many have said, NEED a striker to partner Pope. I like Dodds and he has done a lot of donkey work this season, with a bit of style and class. However, its probaby the most games he has ever played in a season, in a row, so maybe he needs a kick up the ****? Williamson has come good and is scoring goals, but we need to make a signal of intent. A proven striker needing game time is what we need. If we could get a Brett Angell type in, then that would be brilliant!!!

OK

For those who say Williamson isnt good enough - well you probably said the same about Pope last season.

If we are going to play two wingers we are going to get over run a bit in midfield no matter who is playing there but we have always known thsi but when we were winning you were all saying its great wonderful football lots of goals. but when we start conceding as many as we score e.g. 2-2 draws at home all of a sudden a lot of you lose your bottle.

Come on make your minds up do you want two wingers on the pitch at the same time or not? well if you do then you have to accept we will be short in midfield sometimes.

We have a wafer thin squad and injuries and suspensions have bitten hard and we can no longer keep playing the same team as we did when we were winning.

What we need now is square pegs in square holes and to do that we need to sign a left back. after that we need a central midfielder because Murphy is either not fit or not interested and perhaps Mcallister is that man. Up front we are just hugely unlucky that the big man from Southend is injured and we have to find someone else.

We will get promoted this season I have no doubt of that.

Pope coming good doesnt necessarily mean every other player will. Williamson has had his best spells as sub and then done little when started. I may (hopefully) proven wrong, but I just don't see anything other than a non league striker. He is too old now to be talking of potential.

I see what you are saying about wingers, but with the right centre pairing (and more of a 4-2-3-1, than 4-4-1-1 formation) it shouldn't be a problem. Many teams use that tactic effectively without being lightweight.

I am serious,just for clarity i am not saying i would want a new manager BUT new owners no matter what they say say will have their own ideas and will also expect promotion imo considering where we were when they first bid for the club and because of that,that is why i think he would be under pressure.

Has it not been said that promotion is not the be all and end all this season already? so what are you on about?

Archived