onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Dean Glover

NWLV

Why do people think he'd be capable of doing a job as coach - he never was first time. Don't forget, he was involved as coach all the way through our decline, not just when he stole the managers job. Another one, a la Grew, whos only coaching qualification was that he was Vale through and through.

Advert

I hope this is true as he did a great job previously with them and was largely responsible for putting together that side that got to the youth cup quarters. I personally asked him to check out some players which he did. he was treated harshly as manager after inheriting a crap squad from Spinnott, the club will be better off if he he comes back.

I hope this is true as he did a great job previously with them and was largely responsible for putting together that side that got to the youth cup quarters. I personally asked him to check out some players which he did. he was treated harshly as manager after inheriting a crap squad from Spinnott, the club will be better off if he he comes back.

I remember now, bycars rob...glovers biggest fan. I thought it was porter who got the team to the quarter finals? Anyway, how many of that youth team are playing league football?

I agree, Sinnott was rubbish, and glover didn't have a huge amount of time. However, it doesn't get us away from the fact he should never have been appointed, was a part of a dark part of our history (alongside Sinnott, Jackson, Bratt, williams et al), and didn't add anything positive to the team to suggest he was a capable manager. 'Sinnott being rubbish' is not the qualification needed to be a good coach! Having said all that, I don't know how good a coach he is, or what badges he holds. What we do need is a strong youth set up, independent from the first team, so that if managers up and leave, their is consistency. Not sure we will get that, as Adams threw his dummy out when that was last suggested (and the upped and left!).

Port Vale need to strengthen the youth system considerably and start - without running up massive cost - to bring through more players to the first team. Therefore involving former successful Vale players who have experience and qualifications in coaching is good. I mention the term qualifications because Spain are loaded with qualified coaches and it matters in transforming the standard of play. Not sure if Glover is badged up.

Glover took over as manager at a difficult time. With hindsight he had been insulated at Port Vale for too long and not seen enough coaching and management elsewhere. The thing that struck me most in his era and indeed that of Foyle was the way the Vale team ran out of steam in the last 20 minutes consistently and that was because they had not embraced sports science enough. He also got mixed up with his own son's fortunes as a professional footballer which was unfortunate - I think a father manager / son player relationship can work better when the son returns as an extablished professional but not when the son wants to break in to the first team as a youngster. I think we should just forgive him for the management time as it wasn't easy and remember the player.

Dean Glover knifed Martin Foyle and Lee Sinott in the back and then led us to one of our worst ever league position! Great player proudest moment when Glover complete with the tennis ball head cut led the team up the Wembley steps, let's leave history where it should be history!

...it does appear to be a strange move, if there is any truth in it, that is. Why would any new owner (KR or whoever) sanction an appointment that would alienate a fair number of the paying customers/fanbase? It just wouldn't make good business sense. As a paying fan, I would welcome him to the ground; as an employee, I wouldn't.

to say it didnt work out for deano as a manager is an under statement but anybody that knocks him as a guy or ex player obviously never saw him play because he was class, one of our legends that was the first name on the team sheet in our most successful period, god them were the days .

I really don't see the point of this move. Dean Glover was an outstanding player for the Club. He took the Managers job, it didn't work out and he ended up alienating a huge number of the fan base. You'd of thought that would have been enough for him and that he wouldn't want to put himself in the firing line once more.

Surely there there must be many decent coaches out there who we could have approached.

Archived