onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

OVF on different devices

robf

As you may know, one of the main things I have been working on is streamlining access to OVF so you get a readable version of the site/forum whatever device you use to access OVF.

Until yesterday we had a fairly simple system which split traffic into two:

• Desktop/laptop/tablet users saw the normal OVF frontpage
  • "Mobile" users saw a mobile-friendly version of the frontpage

With the advent of more and more tablets and different ways of viewing OVF, I have switched on a more sophisticated system which in the future may enable me to develop dedicated versions of the OVF homepage for all the different phones/tablets out there. So, in the future, I can now direct smartphones to one template, tablets to another template, Windows users to another template, Mac users to another template and so on... with all of those templates being optimised to display nicely on those devices.

But doing this is not without teething problems. A user has kindly PM'ed me to let me know that Ipads (I don't have one) were showing the "mobile" frontpage but previously they were displaying the "normal" frontpage. I have now fixed that and ipads will now see the normal frontpage.

But in short...

If you are now receiving the mobile frontpage when previously you used to get the normal frontpage or indeed vice versa, can you let me know...

Advert

Thanks all for the comments. It seems to be working then.

I am intending to make some changes to the mobile site soon which will add some more features such as latest forum posts (right now you can read the top stories and that is about it) but to do it I will need to switch off OVF for a few hours. When I get time I will let you all know.

Cheers,

Rob

• 2 weeks later...
my Blackberry version went t*ts up about a week ago, I didnt post anything in case it was part of other work that was going on

I also seem to be getting a lot of "data base" error messages on my work PC and my laptop at home

Erm, I really need more information than "t*ts up" - can you be more specific? Did you used to have the mobile version and its gone?

There are some database error messages which are due to exceptionally high traffic but (unlike previous OVF servers) they usually go away on a refresh.

Cheers,

Rob

As you may know, one of the main things I have been working on is streamlining access to OVF so you get a readable version of the site/forum whatever device you use to access OVF.

Until yesterday we had a fairly simple system which split traffic into two:

• Desktop/laptop/tablet users saw the normal OVF frontpage
  • "Mobile" users saw a mobile-friendly version of the frontpage

With the advent of more and more tablets and different ways of viewing OVF, I have switched on a more sophisticated system which in the future may enable me to develop dedicated versions of the OVF homepage for all the different phones/tablets out there. So, in the future, I can now direct smartphones to one template, tablets to another template, Windows users to another template, Mac users to another template and so on... with all of those templates being optimised to display nicely on those devices.

But doing this is not without teething problems. A user has kindly PM'ed me to let me know that Ipads (I don't have one) were showing the "mobile" frontpage but previously they were displaying the "normal" frontpage. I have now fixed that and ipads will now see the normal frontpage.

But in short...

If you are now receiving the mobile frontpage when previously you used to get the normal frontpage or indeed vice versa, can you let me know...

I'm on android (Sony Ericsson arc s). I get a full site version that's all squished up funny on the screen. I gave tapatalk, do for normal viewing I use that however, I prefer to have the full site ie not mobile version when viewing on my mobile. If I need to, I pinch and zoom. I don't like the mobile sites normally. The vale one on their official site is terrible. I also gave an iPad. That displays the full normal site well. Thanks, Lee.

I'm on android (Sony Ericsson arc s). I get a full site version that's all squished up funny on the screen. I gave tapatalk, do for normal viewing I use that however, I prefer to have the full site ie not mobile version when viewing on my mobile. If I need to, I pinch and zoom. I don't like the mobile sites normally. The vale one on their official site is terrible. I also gave an iPad. That displays the full normal site well. Thanks, Lee.

Just read that through again. Oh my word. Must start to stop for a second to see what predictive text is up to.... ;0)

Archived