onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Is Mickey Adams an asset for the club

monkey pants

Advert

How have I slated the club? I'm fascinated to know how you came to such a conclusion.

For the record, I slated the club extensively many years back on here. I was very unhappy with the direction V2001 were taking us. As I'm sure you can imagine, the masses weren't impressed.

i believe your words were 'micky wrecked our chances of a first promotion since 1994 by walking out in his second season'.so at one stage we were at the top of the league, right? And this is a side that were on a downward spiral to the conference before he took over.achieved nothing?so the moment where micky helped to steady the ship after the points deduction and when the players werent being paid is not an achievement?most managers would of buckled under that kind of pressure.if your boss came to you and said 'your not being paid this month', what would your response be?would you be motivated to carry on?micky had to pick the players spirits up in a difficult time, and imo he did it rather well.

QUOTE=monkey pants;1788869]Some on here may think not, but for me he is. How many players say the reason for coming to the mighty whites (HOPEFULLY STILL PLAYING IN WHITE this season) is because of Adams. He must have a good rapour with the players and knows what needs to be said .If he was'nt here not many players would look at the Vale as a team to sign for, but because he is seems to sway them . Good luck Mickey for the season Make us all proud

its RAPPORT you ********** and Micky without the e .:doh: now close this thread . everyones happy:yes:

you really are a angry young boy arnt you

I'd go with 'angry young man', to be honest. I could be cruel now, but I won't be.

i believe your words were 'micky wrecked our chances of a first promotion since 1994 by walking out in his second season'.so at one stage we were at the top of the league, right? And this is a side that were on a downward spiral to the conference before he took over.achieved nothing?so the moment where micky helped to steady the ship after the points deduction and when the players werent being paid is not an achievement?most managers would of buckled under that kind of pressure.if your boss came to you and said 'your not being paid this month', what would your response be?would you be motivated to carry on?micky had to pick the players spirits up in a difficult time, and imo he did it rather well.

Again.... how have I slated the club? We could be here a while at this rate.. :laugh:

And please, enough of these ridiculous comparisons of professional football and regular jobs... To be brief, it would've taken a very bad manager to get us relegated last season. Adams is not a very bad manager. However, he certainly didn't achieve anything. Not unless we throw around this talk of 'steadying the ship' and 'being a leader'. Anyone would think Adams is the only manager that has ever been well-liked by his squad... again - the Port Vale as a microcosm view. The impact of administration on the field of play is always exaggerated heavily. 10 points are taken, but the intangibles are always way overblown. Teams tend to perform to their level. And we didn't have a relegation team, not by a long way.

I'd go with 'angry young man', to be honest. I could be cruel now, but I won't be.

Again.... how have I slated the club? We could be here a while at this rate.. :laugh:

And please, enough of these ridiculous comparisons of professional football and regular jobs... To be brief, it would've taken a very bad manager to get us relegated last season. Adams is not a very bad manager. However, he certainly didn't achieve anything. Not unless we throw around this talk of 'steadying the ship' and 'being a leader'. Anyone would think Adams is the only manager that has ever been well-liked by his squad... again - the Port Vale as a microcosm view. The impact of administration on the field of play is always exaggerated heavily. 10 points are taken, but the intangibles are always way overblown. Teams tend to perform to their level. And we didn't have a relegation team, not by a long way.

exaggerated?what so not getting paid would not bother you?please explain that more.imo he achieved a lot.maybe not on a footballing side, but more on a personal side.like i said, to get the players playing to even the standard that they were after the admin imo is an achievement.

and may i ask, how is it a ridiculous comparison?football is still a job and especially at league two level the wages arent exactly amazing.yes ok they are better paid than regular jobs but still not great.they have families,they have mouths to feed and personally if my manager told me that i would a. look for another job and b. sue them for breach of contract!

imo adams is a gd manager and i think we should be able to judge him after this season if he has some money to spend and/or a decent wage structure.

up the vale!

It's fair to say that Adams certainly is a 'big name' manager, certainly for League Two level, as he has always managed at a higher level (Coventry, Leicester, Brighton etc).

I was one of many taken in by him at the start. Give him credit where it's due, he had to pick up a lot of the mess left by previous managers like Sinnott and particularly Glover. But lets not also forget that he still had some decent and useful players at his disposal when he arrived in Collins, Richards, Griffith, McCombe etc. It would have been almost impossible for any manager to get us relegated with the quality of players we had for League Two (Glover aside).

So is Micky a good manager? I personally still think he's living off the reputation he earned when he got Leicester to the Premiership some 10 years ago. If you look at his recent past, he hasn't really done a great deal (very average spells at Coventry and Brighton 2nd time around), in addition to getting his beloved Sheffield United relegated from the Championship. Hardly brilliant stuff to go on your recent CV is it?:unsure:

Overall, this season is make or break for Micky. No excuses, he doesn't (hopefully), have to deal with anymore boardroom shenanigans or distractions, and by the looks of things he's got a decent budget to play around with. It's time to see what he's made of. If we don't reach the play-offs next season then for me it's not good enough.

So finishing 4th and going up in the play offs is failure?

I'd be happy with the promotion, no doubt about that. But with the apparent resources at his disposal, I think anything less than automatic promotion, and Micky will have fallen short.

Archived