onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Carol Shanahan.

The toilet situation sort of highlights an issue with fan engagement. In days of yore an appeal would have gone out for some roofing company fan to have a look to see if they could do a temporary repair. Bit of goodwill probably had it done in exchange for some seats in hostility.That sort of stuff appears to be beneath the corporatati running the place. 
oh yeah <ovf censored> Hollands pies. Which <ovf censored> from Manchester thought that would be a good idea Patrick? 

• Like 1

Advert

3 minutes ago, leedsvaliant said:
11 minutes ago, Guitar Ray said:
I wish I had a pound for every time someone told me this or that Vale team is the worst in x number of years.  I’d definitely have more than a couple of quid in the bank.
Funnily enough the fans usually see the manager out of his job, obviously based on results and performances.  Some clubs fans are more patient than others.  Exeter, our opponents today, were in dire straights but they stuck with Caldwell despite results earlier in the season and the grumblings among the fanbase.
We’re relying on kids because our recruitment hadn’t been good enough.  That’s on Flitcroft not Carol.  He’s an experienced ex-player, ex-manager who should have some idea when it comes to player recruitment.  Carol has never kicked a ball in anger, she’s trusted a guy to do a job.  He’s failed big time.  Her mistake was not recognising the cause of the situation we were in.
Rest assured, Carol is a fan.

I think she is a fan but she's pretty new in relative terms. I sat on a table with her and her mate a few years ago when the company i worked for sponsored a game. She had only just started attending games and I think part of it was from a networking point. She's a nice lady and I genuinely believe that she has the best of intentions. But let's not pretend she's a lifelong supporter. I think she's trying to run the club like a corporate business. They're so different. I still don't think she gets that.

I’ve taken people, other than kids, up to the Vale who’ve gone on to become solid fans so what’s your point?  There are plenty of folk up there who weren’t born into a Vale supporting family.  It’s BS how long you’ve supported a club it’s how much you support your club.  It’s different for everyone.  Some people will hurt more than others today.  Either way nobody spends all that money and puts up with all the stress and 💩 to network.

• Like 2

I’ve taken people, other than kids, up to the Vale who’ve gone on to become solid fans so what’s your point?  There are plenty of folk up there who weren’t born into a Vale supporting family.  It’s BS how long you’ve supported a club it’s how much you support your club.  It’s different for everyone.  Some people will hurt more than others today.  Either way nobody spends all that money and puts up with all the stress and to network.

I don't think I suggested that she's less of a supporter than anyone else. I was responding to the fact that she's some sort of lifelong fan, she isn't. She's from South Staffordshire isn't she? Hardly Burslem born and bred. Let's not pretend she's a born Vale fan. She might be just as committed but let's not rewrite history.

I totally agree that she has basically thrown away money and we're going to be back where we started. She desperately needs to learn where she went wrong because I don't think she can afford to throw away another 10 million.
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Spunk Trumpet said:

First sign of failure. I get that. January window last year. We nearly went down.

Second sign of failure. August window. Still no striker. Hello. Massive red flag. That was the point he gets sacked.

Third sign of failure. This January. Nothing changed. No improvement. Ridiculous recruitment. Now the blokes job is untenable.

Febraury comes and she lauds the bloke like he’s the second coming!!

Tell me I’m wrong. 

Shes <ovf censored> up.

Have you ever sacked anyone who’d delivered some success to your business so you maybe felt some loyalty towards? Ever sacked anyone you liked and possibly had some respect for? Ever sacked anyone without giving them a chance to improve? Ever sacked anyone?  That’s the dilemma Carol had.  We’re sat here keyboard warrioring with no real connection to the guy so it’s dead easy for us to wield the axe.

Edited by Guitar Ray
Spelling
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Guitar Ray said:

Have you ever sacked anyone who’d delivered some success to your business so you maybe felt some loyalty towards? Ever sacked anyone you liked and possibly had dons respect for? Ever sacked anyone without giving them a chance to improve? Ever sacked anyone?  That’s the dilemma Carol had.  We’re sat here keyboard warrioring with no real connection to the guy so it’s dead easy for us to wield the axe.

Under no circumstances should he have been given this January window and under no circumstances, after he got given that dreadful window, should he have been backed and then stick two fingers up to the fans who wanted him gone.

Carol Shanahans loyalty, or whatever it was, towards David Flitcroft, has put our football club back in the 4th division with an absolutely woeful set of football players, whilst she claimed these players were phenomenal and relegation wasn’t in our vocabulary.

Fight her corner all you want.

Shes ultimately to blame.

Goodnight. 

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, leedsvaliant said:

I don't think I suggested that she's less of a supporter than anyone else. I was responding to the fact that she's some sort of lifelong fan, she isn't. She's from South Staffordshire isn't she? Hardly Burslem born and bred. Let's not pretend she's a born Vale fan. She might be just as committed but let's not rewrite history.

I totally agree that she has basically thrown away money and we're going to be back where we started. She desperately needs to learn where she went wrong because I don't think she can afford to throw away another 10 million.

Who said she’s a lifelong fan?  I didn’t and it’s widely on record what her history is regarding football so nothing is being rewritten as far as I can see.

I think you’re understating the fact that someone had to “throw money away” to take the club out of the clutches of Sexman.  Maybe you’ve forgotten what was going on around that time.  Carol went wrong by trusting David Flitcroft, who was approached for the managers job but somehow managed to convince her we needed a DoF and wangled the job for himself.  Flitcroft got lucky in that a decent managerial appointment in DC saw us promoted which would’ve cemented his reputation in Carol’s eyes.  From then on it’s been more a typical Flitcroft scenario that we’ve seen.

2 minutes ago, Spunk Trumpet said:

Under no circumstances should he have been given this January window and under no circumstances, after he got given that dreadful window, should he have been backed and then stick two fingers up to the fans who wanted him gone.

Carol Shanahans loyalty, or whatever it was, towards David Flitcroft, has put our football club back in the 4th division with an absolutely woeful set of football players, whilst she claimed these players were phenomenal and relegation wasn’t in our vocabulary.

Fight her corner all you want.

Shes ultimately to blame.

Goodnight. 

Goodnight.

Have you ever sacked anyone who’d delivered some success to your business so you maybe felt some loyalty towards? Ever sacked anyone you liked and possibly had dons respect for? Ever sacked anyone without giving them a chance to improve? Ever sacked anyone?  That’s the dilemma Carol had.  We’re sat here keyboard warrioring with no real connection to the guy so it’s dead easy for us to wield the axe.
I used to work for a guy who did give people a chance, particularly sales people. And he was also pretty friendly with some of them. But he wasn't afraid to get rid of them if they weren't performing for his business. Unfortunately, to be successful, you have to be ruthless at times. Even if you personally like the people.

1 minute ago, leedsvaliant said:
13 minutes ago, Guitar Ray said:

I used to work for a guy who did give people a chance, particularly sales people. And he was also pretty friendly with some of them. But he wasn't afraid to get rid of them if they weren't performing for his business. Unfortunately, to be successful, you have to be ruthless at times. Even if you personally like the people.

We have got rid of people.  Not soon enough is more the issue.

Who said she’s a lifelong fan?  I didn’t and it’s widely on record what her history is regarding football so nothing is being rewritten as far as I can see.
I think you’re understating the fact that someone had to “throw money away” to take the club out of the clutches of Sexman.  Maybe you’ve forgotten what was going on around that time.  Carol went wrong by trusting David Flitcroft, who was approached for the managers job but somehow managed to convince her we needed a DoF and wangled the job for himself.  Flitcroft got lucky in that a decent managerial appointment in DC saw us promoted which would’ve cemented his reputation in Carol’s eyes.  From then on it’s been more a typical Flitcroft scenario that we’ve seen.

I think we both agree that she's made unnecessary mistakes which will have cost her serious money. She needs to learn from them...quickly.

2 minutes ago, leedsvaliant said:

I think we both agree that she's made unnecessary mistakes which will have cost her serious money. She needs to learn from them...quickly.

Maybe the fact that she’s seeing her own millions disappear will focus her mind slightly more than it will me worrying about the price of a couple of season tickets in League 2.  Who knows?

3 hours ago, pete vale said:

Can't argue with any of that personally. We are not privy to what appeared to be "pie-in-the-sky" ideals of academy funding and the 'campus', let alone the loan and use of Premier League 2 youngsters - not viable in my opinion at this level at this moment in time. Yes, there needs to be a focus on youth and making the club sustainable for years to come commercially and professionally football-wise.

Look at the effect on the fan base in regards to changes in the ticket office/ club shop as an example, not to mention the Paddock portaloos and exit debacles. A good example again today. We walked into the shop at 2.20pm today to look at and possibly purchase merchandise - no chance!! The queue was massive with I assume people arriving late and wanting match tickets? You could not view merchandise and even if you did try to purchase you would have probably missed kick-off? There are many issues/ examples of a distinct lack of common-sense about the place.

The second half performance today was without question as bad if not worse than any performance I have witnessed since first attending in 1975. I struggle to reason exactly as to why things have unravelled so quickly and at such cost to the Shanahans financially. It is obviously poor decision making on both the playing side and future structure modelling of the club.

Some comments from within particularly in regard to Flitcroft "going nowhere" were derogatory and condescending to the fan base, were these said comments merely a defence of the indefensible or born of arrogance from an inner circle environment that clearly had a 'plan' of sorts and the rest can go to 'hell in a hand cart whatever may'?

That said this is an embarrassing, expensive, harsh lesson to learn leaving the club in financial woe and it's fan base totally demoralised at a time when this certainly shouldn't be the case following on from the euphoria of the 2022 promotion.

Sad, very sad.

Think you'll be ok having a browse round the shop next season because if we can't offload these crock of sh!t players they'll be nobody in there buying tickets 

• Like 2

It’s been a really sobering week given the accounts have been published. We now know the extent that we are haemorrhaging money in order to be this bad.

I do wonder if there are / have been too many hangers on taking the club for a ride. The club feels like it is being run like Factory Records.

Every single director of the company with access to the P&L needs to take a good look in the mirror. None of this is sustainable.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Carol's Vale like all of us .

She be hurting too.

However thats no excuse what's gone on its being a ludicrous season .

No strikers been brought in has ultimately cost us and not bringing in a leader at the back ,that's recruitment's fault and worst still bringing no lwb back in .

It's done now she needs come and explain why and what's up with the players after all she said they were phenomenal. 

That second half yesterday was symbolic of the whole car crash of the season .

If I was in charge I'd be fuming. 

She's in charge let's see some leadership now .

What she does next is very important 

There's a lot of support who have stopped attending and that's down to the people you employ .

At synthetics would you accept the mediocrity the players produced second half 

No you wouldn't so why should 6300 odd home support ,be accepting of what those players did to our support yesterday but not just yesterday ,since 2023 Jan some of them ,why are they even still here maybe you can answer that cause I'd have <ovf censored> them all off 

Sort it Carol and learn that everybody has to give everything for Vale win a game of football .

Edited by Dipepa delight