onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Summer transfer rumours and speculation

10 minutes ago, Vtid said:

Yeah agreed we can’t be keeping them both! I actually think loft is pretty decent in the air 

He does win a lot of headers, mainly outside the box. If he stays he needs to start winning them in and just outside the 6 yard box.

• Like 1

Advert

Just now, Paul6754 said:

He's OK Vtid but he's nowhere near a Tom Pope, not even close.

Not many lower league strikers are to be fair. He was one of a kind in the air 🔥 

20 minutes ago, Paul6754 said:

Perhaps WSU, we don't know what's going on behind the scenes but if I was Moore I'd be going with the  "Bird in the hand..." rather than what might happen. Perhaps Loft has told him he wants away, we can only guess but having two similar strikers on the books didn't work too well last season in terms of goals scored.

Uche's missed header vs Camb was an OMG moment for me. He can have the strength of a lion, his heart is in the right place, he tries and tries but when you can't put a chance like that away....what's left.

Both could score 10+ goals each in Lge 2 next season but I very much doubt it based on what we saw last season.

Having thought about this(I do sometimes),the club aren't going come out and say this player and that player can go because any clubs interested will know we want rid so might not pay what they would have done if it wasn't publicised ....?

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, JRC said:

A manager's job is to sign players who will do well next season.  Uche has at times done OK in terms of goals in the relatively distant past. If Moore believes he can do it again with his coaching and system then he should sign him. Like all managers he will then be judged on the outcome.  What I think (somewhat sceptical) or any fan shouldn't come into it. 

Not many fans wanted us to sign Pope in 2011 and some wanted to get rid of him in summer 2012. Signing him and keeping Pope is arguably the defining reason Adams is remembered so fondly at the club. 

If you are bringing Tom Pope into the debate, then you are comparing the two players. 
So I’ll break down the two players…..

Number 1. Tom was a goalscorer. Uche is not. 
Number 2. Tom could hold the ball up with a delicate touch. Uche has a trampoline foot. 
Number 3. When Tom won headers they would go to another player or in the onion bag. When Uche wins headers they bounce off his 50p head. That’s if he actually connects at all! 
Number 4. Tom was a professional footballer who loved the club and lived his dream. Uche is acting like a professional footballer who certain fans think he’s ok because he’s 18 stone and causes a nuisance. 

If a 29 year old Pope was worth 300k in the market and got roughly 3k a week in wages then a 29 year old Uche is worth 50 quid and a bag of washers and should be on minimum wage. 

The two are miles apart in terms of goalscoring and ability. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, werstayinup said:

Having thought about this(I do sometimes),the club aren't going come out and say this player and that player can go because any clubs interested will know we want rid so might not pay what they would have done if it wasn't publicised ....?

I imagine some of those in contract might attract fees in excess of £9.99. 

Edited by Jacko51
  • Haha 1

The retained list as a whole was not good enough for Lge 1 and those players are likely going to be the majority of the squad playing for Vale  in Lge 2 next season, there's 3 or 4 players in the retained list who are good Lge 1 players.

For me Vale have to sign ca 6 Lge 1 high quality players to successfully compete in Lge 2 next season and get in the play-offs at least. Vale are not gonna challenge for the play-offs signing mainly Lge 2 players.

We need 2 goal scoring strikers, a controller/leader in midfield, some pace/trickery on the wings, a full back and a dominant center half. It's gonna cost.

I must admit, I hesitate to talk about individual players as I only see them play vs Vale but the likes of  Will Ferry, Liam Seracombe and the guy Lankeshire (?, Camb.) all played very well against Vale and have been released or are in talks with their clubs but it doesn't mean they'd do well at Vale.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TJHValiant said:

Yes but we didn’t take him from Non league, we took him from Blackpool, where he was so highly regarded the offered him a contract extension after proving himself in the football league with Oldham, then a league club, the previous year. 

I never said we took him from non league,I said you can find  decent players in non league if your willing to look for them, Blackpool fans liked him but he hardly ever played for them, Oldham fans said he was crap but we took a risk and it's paid off in bundles for us 

26 minutes ago, Vtid said:

Not many lower league strikers are to be fair. He was one of a kind in the air 🔥 

Yep Vtid, it's a bit unfair comparing him with Top Pope in the air as there haven't been many better than TP in the air over the years although Vale have had a few that have come close in their time, Roy Chapman, Beamo, Sammy Morgan.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Paul6754 said:

The retained list as a whole was not good enough for Lge 1 and those players are likely going to be the majority of the squad playing for Vale  in Lge 2 next season, there's 3 or 4 players in the retained list who are good Lge 1 players.

For me Vale have to sign ca 6 Lge 1 high quality players to successfully compete in Lge 2 next season and get in the play-offs at least. Vale are not gonna challenge for the play-offs signing mainly Lge 2 players.

We need 2 goal scoring strikers, a controller/leader in midfield, some pace/trickery on the wings, a full back and a dominant center half. It's gonna cost.

I must admit, I hesitate to talk about individual players as I only see them play vs Vale but the likes of  Will Ferry, Liam Seracombe and the guy Lankeshire (?, Camb.) all played very well against Vale and have been released or are in talks with their clubs but it doesn't mean they'd do well at Vale.

We are on here concentrating on players released but as you say players in talks with their clubs can obviously talk to other clubs and i still think we are able to pay fees for the right players even more so if someone leaves for a fee.

• Like 1