onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Cheltenham (A) match thread - 17th Feb

Really tough game, not who I want want first up, no surprise DC has turned them around, I thought they would stay up with his appointment and I’m certain they will now. We need something from the game, an ugly 1-0 or even a point just something. Looking forward to see how we line up 

Advert

7 hours ago, valiant_593 said:

Really tough game, not who I want want first up, no surprise DC has turned them around, I thought they would stay up with his appointment and I’m certain they will now. We need something from the game, an ugly 1-0 or even a point just something. Looking forward to see how we line up 

I think a point on the road would be a great result considering the form they’ve been in & how confident they will be. Good building block for the group of players & Moore I feel. 

I'd like to think there's a bit more pressure on DC to get a result at home against his old club and for the Robins to continue their recent upturn in form. However, if our players are motivated to impress DM and stake a claim for a 1st team role (or to not be discarded in may), we can get a result. A draw doesn't really help either team but Vale not losing is imperative. I haven't been to Whadden Road before so looking forward to the experience, but an away result would be something else at the moment! 

Based upon block size/block availability I estimate 750 tickets have been sold and about 60 remain so perhaps a few more will be made available today as the away end apparently holds 1100. Given our recent form this is fantastic support from super vale away. UTV!

It's really good to see the excitement and anticipation at such highs since Darren's appointment. Would be good to see if we can get more tickets as I strongly suspect that we could sell up to 1500 or so. Perhaps the best thing about having Darren is that he is at heart a defender, usually described as "uncompromising" which is exactly what we want/need. A draw would be acceptable, a win fantastic.

Come on Vale!!!!!!!

How ironic we appointed DC 3 years ago this week and it’s Darren Moore’s 1st game in charge at DC’s Cheltenham.

We have history with Cheltenham ….

How about Askey’s team when a Mitch Clarke stonewall pen not given. This would have maintained our playoff position before the season was cut short due to covid.

Or what I thought it was DC’s defining game when attempting to keep us in L2. I remember when he took over we played in the same formation as we had under Askey. We were 3-0 down and rallied late on to lose 3-2. After the game DC was absolutely fuming and we changed to a back 3/5 after this game and the rest is history.

Fingers crossed the footballing gods are with us Saturday and we get 3 points.  I really feel we need to target 4 points from these 2 away fixtures but I’d be happy with 2 0-0 draws.

1 hour ago, MBE said:

How ironic we appointed DC 3 years ago this week and it’s Darren Moore’s 1st game in charge at DC’s Cheltenham.

We have history with Cheltenham ….

How about Askey’s team when a Mitch Clarke stonewall pen not given. This would have maintained our playoff position before the season was cut short due to covid.

Or what I thought it was DC’s defining game when attempting to keep us in L2. I remember when he took over we played in the same formation as we had under Askey. We were 3-0 down and rallied late on to lose 3-2. After the game DC was absolutely fuming and we changed to a back 3/5 after this game and the rest is history.

Fingers crossed the footballing gods are with us Saturday and we get 3 points.  I really feel we need to target 4 points from these 2 away fixtures but I’d be happy with 2 0-0 draws.

DC & Cheltenham in a good run currently.  Perhaps not the best time to be facing them.  On the other hand, will we see a 'new manager bounce'? Hopefully....fingers crossed!

Having watched Cheltenham v Blackpool DC hasnt changed. 3-5-2 as usual, gets the ball wide and gets it in rather than straight long balls or balls down the channels.  He s done a great job with just Lloyd and Taylor up front and easily beat Blackpool. 

Time for our Dazzler to start earning his money. First task to make us hard to beat. It won't be easy but a win would be a massive boost for us all.

Utv.

4 minutes ago, Bobnewtonian said:

Having watched Cheltenham v Blackpool DC hasnt changed. 3-5-2 as usual, gets the ball wide and gets it in rather than straight long balls or balls down the channels.  He s done a great job with just Lloyd and Taylor up front and easily beat Blackpool. 

Time for our Dazzler to start earning his money. First task to make us hard to beat. It won't be easy but a win would be a massive boost for us all.

Utv.

Just had a look at their line up.

Obviously the two ex Vale you mentioned and Pett , also I think that's Curtis Davies at the back. 

Clarke has done wonders and they'd go above us with a win. 

Very difficult game. I'd take a point. Keep the gap the same and one more game ticked off.

A win would be superb stating the obvious. 

1 hour ago, Bycarsbill said:

DC & Cheltenham in a good run currently.  Perhaps not the best time to be facing them.  On the other hand, will we see a 'new manager bounce'? Hopefully....fingers crossed!

I can't ever remember a Vale new manager bounce actually.

John Mgrath struggled, Rudgy had a dodgy start, can't remember Hortons start, Adams was our first manager to switch to 5 at the back to make us hard to beat as we were struggling that badly  surely big Jim Gannon didn't bounce? DC lost i think 3-1 at Northants with our Lucas sent off?

Askey / glover / sinnott struggled all through their reigns  did the Tin man have a bounce?  Can't remember Gordon Lees start but in my head I think caretaker Alan Bloor had a mini bounce before we got rid of him!!

I guess we are due one which would be handy given our league position.

6 minutes ago, Bobnewtonian said:

John Mgrath struggled, Rudgy had a dodgy start, can't remember Hortons start, Adams was our first manager to switch to 5 at the back to make us hard to beat as we were struggling that badly  surely big Jim Gannon didn't bounce? DC lost i think 3-1 at Northants with our Lucas sent off?

Askey / glover / sinnott struggled all through their reigns  did the Tin man have a bounce?  Can't remember Gordon Lees start but in my head I think caretaker Alan Bloor had a mini bounce before we got rid of him!!

Think Clarke 1st game we got a draw at Orient mate. 

1 minute ago, darren1810 said:

Just had a look at their line up.

Obviously the two ex Vale you mentioned and Pett , also I think that's Curtis Davies at the back. 

Clarke has done wonders and they'd go above us with a win. 

Very difficult game. I'd take a point. Keep the gap the same and one more game ticked off.

A win would be superb stating the obvious. 

It ll be difficult we have got to improve defensively ... hopefully we ve has a good couple of days on the training ground but it's a non ideal first game I think.

As I say they won't play long straight balls they ll try get it wide and get it in with Lloyd and Taylor supported by  the wing back from the opposite side to the cross and 2 midfielders with occasional support from one of the three centre halfs (similair to what we did with the left footed  centre back guy we sold who s name escapes me) to  get bodies round it and keep it alive in around  our box. 

It's not defining but we can't shy away from it being a big game which we need something g from.

Utv

29 minutes ago, Bobnewtonian said:

You're possibly correct in this. However, we have been on the receiving end of "management bounce" on numerous occasions.  As you say, it would be very useful for us if these trends can be reversed on Saturday!

Archived