2 minutes ago, JoeB2 said:

Good thread on Twitter, suggesting potential replacements:

Dino Maamria

Mark Bonner

Nathan Rooney

Gary Bowyer

Dean Whitehead

Will Ryder

I think Bonner is the sneakily good pick here. He just reached the end of his time with Cambridge. 3.5 years, 200+ games. Sometimes it just ends.

Enough experience at this level to suggest he won't be a disaster, but only 38 so also a view to the long-term. He can overperform a tight budget.

dean whiteheads a good punt.

Advert

10 minutes ago, geoff1 said:

dean whiteheads a good punt.

Fuk my life 🤦‍♂️ he’s another assistant manager! I can’t think of many people worse! With zero experience of being a manager. Why on earth would you think he’s a good punt 😭😭😭

For crying out loud most of us wanted Crosby out & it’s happened. Now people moaning about Ryder taking charge of tonight’s game! We didn’t really have much choice it was right to get rid of ACs backroom staff alongside him. Let’s just get behind Will & the lads for this game & see who comes in hey! 

3 hours ago, Brian Johnson said:

I think that its a clever & smart move from the club.

They will get 100% backing from the fans. 

They will play the youngsters and know them inside out.

If they get some positive results and then they will be very much in running to take the job on full time.

If they do not pick up any positive results, they have personally lost nothing apart from getting some experience and the fans would still be behind them

Is it though? An issue you have is the intensity of the warm ups and training. Totally different for the men’s first team vs the youth. Notice whenever we have new managers you have different warm ups before a game, it has to be at the right levels of intensity for the men. Also these coaches have done nothing yet, so do they have the same level of respect as the usual coaches that come into a first team set up? I would say not. How are they going to get their messages across the team tonight in how they want to play given that they themselves have no real experience of this and that the players know they are only interim. Also it’s not these coaches jobs to promote youth at this time, it’s to get results. I get we have to have someone taking charge, but i feel that this should be as short term as possible and it just shows a complete lack of planning from the club. 

14 minutes ago, ValeForever. said:

The more I think about it the more I believe we'll end up with Gary Bowyer. I don't want him, but I can 100% see it happening until the end of the season.

Yeah I think he makes sense. 

Steady pair of hands, know what you get - we're not going to score our way out of trouble so we need to be built on solid defensive foundations, which he's good at.

He's the sort of manager we should have gone for post-Clarke, really. Solidify us in mid-table and then move on to something more progressive. 

Bowyer or Bonner are the realistic targets I could live with.

1 hour ago, Alfie1962 said:

What players as he bought through ?

They were already there.

It doesn’t matter that they were already here, what matters is they have developed into first team squad players in the last two or so years when he’s been here. I tend to believe people who’ve experienced the academy first hand over those who haven’t.

2 hours ago, Brian Johnson said:

He is supposed to be a Vale fan but I question that after he scored a diving header own goal whilst playing for Newcastle Utd in a 2-1 win for Stoke at St James Park in the Premier League

Did he celebrate 🙂 

2 hours ago, pvfc1994 said:

Some of these names being banded about are totally pie in the sky. Although, it is nice to hear us being linked with some decent names.

I just can't imagine Rowett, Eustace, Duff, Moore, Heckingbottom or even Ainsworth working under Flitcroft. There's no chance in my mind that that'll happen. 

I feel like our shortlist will likely consist of managers like Michael Appleton, Dean Holden, Mark Bonner, Gary Bowyer, Michael Flynn and the like unfortunately. 

None of those names at the bottom fill me with any confidence at all,I think they will certainly look Bonner,Appleton and Flynn though

2 hours ago, Tamworth said:

For me, the biggest challenge Carol has is dealing with the Flitcroft factor, as I suspect any Manager worth his salt isn't going to want to work under that chancer... At the very least, it's going to really limit the choices.

I suppose we will see how solid the Board's support for him is over the next week or so.

I know what I would do...

This is going to be a massive appointment for both of them imo,they cant afford to get this one wrong,if it's someone inexperienced the heat could really build on them(I actually dont think DF is fussed if he loses his job probably a nice little pay off and i doubt he is short of money BUT he wont be ready or like the abuse that could go his way)

I'm decided. Bonner is the man for me. Should have been appointed after Clarke.

Can deliver a short-term improvement (kept Cambridge up twice), whilst being a decent man for the 2-3 year spell. 

Can easily see him establishing us as a really decent League 1 side - developed Mullin and Ironside, works within a budget, great character.

Says a lot of things similar to Carol when it comes to people, making a difference, values, principles etc. Think it fits very nicely.

Not sure who'd be the most effective replacement for Crosby. I'll leave that to the so called "experts". Personally I liked Crosby the man but always thought he was too negative so had to go given his dismal record. I read this forum avidly and what strikes me is that virtually everyone lays the blame at the door of Crosby, Flitcroft or Carol to varying degrees. While not blameless, I think the chief reason we're in this rut is THE PLAYERS. They've got off largely scot free for me. Even if they didn't want to play for Crosby or the club where's their professional pride!!! They showed what they're capable of in the home win against Blackpool but have otherwise lacked determination for me. I'm actually far angrier with that lot than the management staff. Only Chislett, Ojo and Sang show anything like determination to do well from our outfield players as well as occasional cameo appearances from Shorrock et al. These players owe the fans big time. At least have a go at teams. One shot on target v Fleetwood!! Make Sang captain and show some determination. Don't like Steve Evans but this group of players need a shake up big time.

6 minutes ago, JoeB2 said:

I'm decided. Bonner is the man for me. Should have been appointed after Clarke.

Can deliver a short-term improvement (kept Cambridge up twice), whilst being a decent man for the 2-3 year spell. 

Can easily see him establishing us as a really decent League 1 side - developed Mullin and Ironside, works within a budget, great character.

Says a lot of things similar to Carol when it comes to people, making a difference, values, principles etc. Think it fits very nicely.

Not for me, prefer Bowyer or someone with a bit more experience hasn’t he only managed Cambridge albeit he did relatively well 👍🏻 

12 minutes ago, JoeB2 said:

I'm decided. Bonner is the man for me.

Can deliver a short-term improvement, whilst being a decent man for the 2-3 year spell. 

Says a lot of things similar to Carol when it comes to people, making a difference etc. Think it fits very nicely.

I've convinced myself that Bonner will be appointed as our new manager.

He seems to tick a lot of the boxes we'd be looking for and fits with Carol's vision for the club.  He did a lot on the community side for Cambridge, he's young, can work to a small budget and he has a little something about him. I wouldn't be against him getting the job. 

He's a much more realistic and viable option than some of these Championship standard managers who'd never work under Flitcroft. 

1 minute ago, crofty59 said:

Not sure who'd be the most effective replacement for Crosby. I'll leave that to the so called "experts". Personally I liked Crosby the man but always thought he was too negative so had to go given his dismal record. I read this forum avidly and what strikes me is that virtually everyone lays the blame at the door of Crosby, Flitcroft or Carol to varying degrees. While not blameless, I think the chief reason we're in this rut is THE PLAYERS. They've got off largely scot free for me. Even if they didn't want to play for Crosby or the club where's their professional pride!!! They showed what they're capable of in the home win against Blackpool but have otherwise lacked determination for me. I'm actually far angrier with that lot than the management staff. Only Chislett, Ojo and Sang show anything like determination to do well from our outfield players as well as occasional cameo appearances from Shorrock et al. These players owe the fans big time. At least have a go at teams. One shot on target v Fleetwood!! Make Sang captain and show some determination. Don't like Steve Evans but this group of players need a shake up big time.

How can you leave our top scorer & hardest working player out of that little list? Sang is not captain material. I’d give that one to Garrity as well 

Archived