onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Portsmouth (A) match thread 7th Oct

Fosse69

54 minutes ago, Warren said:

I didn't go to the Portsmouth game and haven't watched the highlights. But the stats and commentaries suggest. 

We were competitive against the league leaders.

We created a reasonable number of chances to score.

We didn't take our chances to score and missed taking the lead. 

The opposition are top of the league because they are a good side and when they mproved they scored. 

So this isn't hopeless. I feel there is not that much wrong with our squad of attackers except they are too alike. We must get a genuine centre forward out there who allows more variation in our attacking play and more presence in attack and defence at set pieces. 

To the faithful. Don't panic! Don't squabble with one another!?

If you didn't know what the team selection was you would probably accept that and move on.

HOWEVER, we had the best opportunity we could hope for to get something out of that game with Portsmouth's depleted squad but squandered it with the team selection; anyone who gave up their weekend to travel down to watch it is obviously going to feel let down and frustrated that we didn't take our chance.

Advert

The crux of our recent form is this and its spot on .

When we have had opportunities we have missed or the opposition goalkeepers have saved .

When the opposition have put any kind of pressure on our back line we have crumbled and conceded what is in last 5 games 10 goals a average of 2 goals a game .

Folk are rightly moaning that Crosby hasn't being starting with strikers and in some respects maybe he is trying be too clever ,or he is playing with as many midfielders as possible to keep possession and keep the ball away from our back line who even when we were winning earlier on in season were getting away with things they should have being punished for.

Defence for me needs be improved substantially or by season end we be in trouble its just in games v the supposed better sides the only difference for me is the defences ours lets folk have free shots headers etc the opponents do not .

0-0s if Crosbys aiming for will never come to fruition because our lack of awareness speed of thought at the back  Is so obvious 

2 hours ago, Stockleys_socks said:

If you didn't know what the team selection was you would probably accept that and move on.

HOWEVER, we had the best opportunity we could hope for to get something out of that game with Portsmouth's depleted squad but squandered it with the team selection; anyone who gave up their weekend to travel down to watch it is obviously going to feel let down and frustrated that we didn't take our chance.

I didn't feel let down by the selection at all.

The gameplan worked, Garrity has chances he normally finishes in his sleep, Planty should do better, Ripley made a rare error and the ref gave a stupid pen to take the game away from us in the space of a few minutes.We then never recovered but thats not down to the striker or lack of.

The only thing disappointed me was our substitutes. I thought they made us look worse.I was more annoyed watching Massey at RWB and Croz trying to justify him as a better option than Clarke.I will never understand that one but also with hindsight Clark could also covered Grant's injury so Planty could have stayed in the 10 role where he was having success.

Just a frustrating very long day. 

1 hour ago, Devine intervention said:

Defence for me needs be improved substantially or by season end we be in trouble its just in games v the supposed better sides the only difference for me is the defences ours lets folk have free shots headers etc the opponents do not .

Spot on mate.

34 minutes ago, MBE said:

I didn't feel let down by the selection at all.

The gameplan worked, Garrity has chances he normally finishes in his sleep, Planty should do better, Ripley made a rare error and the ref gave a stupid pen to take the game away from us in the space of a few minutes.We then never recovered but thats not down to the striker or lack of.

The only thing disappointed me was our substitutes. I thought they made us look worse.I was more annoyed watching Massey at RWB and Croz trying to justify him as a better option than Clarke.I will never understand that one but also with hindsight Clark could also covered Grant's injury so Planty could have stayed in the 10 role where he was having success.

Just a frustrating very long day. 

But the gameplan was flawed because it relied on non-prolific midfielders putting the ball in the back of the net. If Garrity finished those sorts of chances in his sleep he would have a lot more than 6 goals in his last 52 appearances.

1 hour ago, Stockleys_socks said:

But the gameplan was flawed because it relied on non-prolific midfielders putting the ball in the back of the net. If Garrity finished those sorts of chances in his sleep he would have a lot more than 6 goals in his last 52 appearances.

He had an off day but would we really have had those chances with either Wilo or Thomas?Maybe maybe not. He had an off day in front of goal for sure but he's our hot hand at the moment scoring goals. Our strikers don't look like scoring our creating any. He's got a decent scoring record considering he's played largely in midfield because we were so physically poor last season. I don't know the stats but I would love to see his goals to minutes ratio playing as a AM. I would imagine its pretty impressive.

1 hour ago, Trumpingtonvale said:

Was rail seating available at this game  for SVA (I recall plans for it to be installed being banded about last season). If so would be interesting to see comments on the experience of fans who went the game and views on its potential for implementation at the back of the Hamil stand.

Yes . Safe standing or however it's dressed up. And it was brilliant. I stood the entire game those who didn't want to had other options. 

Portsmouth have done it very well and in the Home end behind the goal too.

Definitely a thumbs up from me. Only time I sat was at half time. 

Archived