OVF issue - please bear with me

Hi,

Just been on to my host support and it turns out there was some targeting of OVF this morning. There were scripts slowing down the server hence why the site was not available for a while.  It's not quite a denial of service attack - more like people trying to get in to my server to do bad things (and luckily they didn't get in) - but it is causing high load and the site to crash.

So, please bear with me this morning. I have a *thrilling* few hours, securing the site, changing passwords and the likes to ensure OVF is secure. As a result there may be the odd glitch and OVF may record the odd error message as I turn things on and off.

Rob

• Thanks 5

7 minutes ago, robf said:

Hi,

Just been on to my host support and it turns out there was some targeting of OVF this morning. There were scripts slowing down the server hence why the site was not available for a while.  It's not quite a denial of service attack - more like people trying to get in to my server to do bad things (and luckily they didn't get in) - but it is causing high load and the site to crash.

So, please bear with me this morning. I have a *thrilling* few hours, securing the site, changing passwords and the likes to ensure OVF is secure. As a result there may be the odd glitch and OVF may record the odd error message as I turn things on and off.

Rob

Thanks for your work Rob, glad to see switch it on switch it off still works.

• Haha 1

You might find this of interest Rob, it's free. Different 40 character password for everything you use, securely stored behind AES256 and 2FA. You can lock your password vault behind a fingerprint scanner or physical keyfob for ultimate 2FA.

lastpass.com 

Just make sure all software is up to date. People who want to hack websites will look for anything out of date and exploit any holes that have bin found in the old versions. Same gos for the OS on the server to.

We seem to be all OK. Just to reassure you all, OVF runs on up-to-date software and has lots of security measures - two factor passwords and more in places. As an added security measure, access to the back-end has been checked and some extra measures put in.

On a daily basis, OVF is subject to "brute force attacks" as are many other Wordpress hosted sites but blocks are in place. It's just that some time the malicious traffic gets so huge that things start to overheat!!! It was a case of an email box overflowing with warnings and alerts, getting a techie to log in and check things and then tweak a few settings to the threshold to stop it happening again. 

Thanks for the messages and the tips. 🙂