onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Odd news

geosname

1 hour ago, geosname said:

I've rescued cats and dogs, I rescued a tub full of turtles from the market and released them in the lake, I feed the strays locally, I've purchased dog food in the town to feed the strays we come across.... I like animals.... even the ones I don't like I don't bother unless they bother me.

I like to eat them too... if you don't that's fine... I'm not going to change what I do because you don't like it..... and vise versa.

I’m not asking you to change.  I’m stating it’s ridiculous to say you like animals while also having them caged and slaughtered to eat. How can you like an animal but be happy for someone to slit its throat for you? 

1 hour ago, For Us All said:

If my world view is stating facts,I'll take that.

Do you want the link?

Your statement was wrong and nothing to do with the discussion. 

12 minutes ago, RailwayRowdy said:

Right. Hobby horse time.

The squirrel thing I have no real opinion on. But one thing that really gets on my nadgers is when people think it’s ok to raise and slaughter animals for food as long as they are “free range” or have been given a “happy life” before hand !

At the end of the day, someone is still going to slit its throat and millions of Brits are still going to eat it.

If people really care about animal welfare, then we should not even be breeding livestock for food at all, even if it has been given a so called “good life” . And if consumers (sorry wrong word) thought the same way they wouldn’t buy it.

Its just a scam by so called do gooders who basically don’t give a toss, but like to pretend that they do.

Incidentally I eat copious amounts of meat, but I don’t  try to pretend that I care enough about animal welfare to stop me doing so. If you want a creature to have a “good life” then stop eating it.

Even squirrels. 

Everyone reckons they eat humanely slaughtered animals who lived a long life, yet 99% animals are factory farmed who love a fraction of their life. We have seen on this thread that people prefer to ignore where their food comes from. It’s more convenient. 

Advert

2 hours ago, Andyregs said:

I’m not asking you to change.  I’m stating it’s ridiculous to say you like animals while also having them caged and slaughtered to eat. How can you like an animal but be happy for someone to slit its throat for you? 

Everyone reckons they eat humanely slaughtered animals who lived a long life, yet 99% animals are factory farmed who love a fraction of their life. We have seen on this thread that people prefer to ignore where their food comes from. It’s more convenient. 

Nothing to do with the discussion?

I replied to a comment about a protest movement.

6 hours ago, Andyregs said:

First I have no problem killing what I eat.

Secondly my definition of cruelty is obviously different to yours.

Thirdly you are attributing human traits to animals, 99% factory farmed may be true in the West it isn't here although that wouldn't stop me eating meat, the only thing that would is taste... and cost.

Forthly i dont claim to eat humanely slaughtered meat, just that it's dead. As for how long it's lived I neither know nor care.... although it gets a little tougher with age.

Lastly there are lots of things I like that I eat.... before and after they are on a plate... although a plate isn't necessary. 

7 hours ago, RailwayRowdy said:

Right. Hobby horse time.

The squirrel thing I have no real opinion on. But one thing that really gets on my nadgers is when people think it’s ok to raise and slaughter animals for food as long as they are “free range” or have been given a “happy life” before hand !

At the end of the day, someone is still going to slit its throat and millions of Brits are still going to eat it.

If people really care about animal welfare, then we should not even be breeding livestock for food at all, even if it has been given a so called “good life” . And if consumers (sorry wrong word) thought the same way they wouldn’t buy it.

Its just a scam by so called do gooders who basically don’t give a toss, but like to pretend that they do.

Incidentally I eat copious amounts of meat, but I don’t  try to pretend that I care enough about animal welfare to stop me doing so. If you want a creature to have a “good life” then stop eating it.

Even squirrels. 

The issue I was attempting to raise was the legal one.... which has slipped by unnoticed...as it often does.

It's a misconception that you must dislike animals because you eat them.

I think free range is a construct to hike the price.

What is a "Good life"?

7 hours ago, For Us All said:

Nothing to do with the discussion?

I replied to a comment about a protest movement.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen you honestly debate something on here. Your post was the equivalent of me saying that boris Johnson became prime minister in order to create a dictatorship and then saying I can give links showing that he has become prime minister to prove it. It was nonsense as always. I don’t know why I bothered replying as I’d stopped because it’s always so pointless.  

3 hours ago, geosname said:

First I have no problem killing what I eat.

Secondly my definition of cruelty is obviously different to yours.

Thirdly you are attributing human traits to animals, 99% factory farmed may be true in the West it isn't here although that wouldn't stop me eating meat, the only thing that would is taste... and cost.

Forthly i dont claim to eat humanely slaughtered meat, just that it's dead. As for how long it's lived I neither know nor care.... although it gets a little tougher with age.

Lastly there are lots of things I like that I eat.... before and after they are on a plate... although a plate isn't necessary. 

You’ve replied to points I made to others, and other points I didn’t make, waffled on as ever, yet missed the one I specifically made to you. That it’s ridiculous saying you like animals whilst also being happy to have them slaughtered (you say you don’t even care if it humane) for you and eaten.

What human traits am I attributing to animals?

1 hour ago, Andyregs said:

I don’t think I’ve ever seen you honestly debate something on here. Your post was the equivalent of me saying that boris Johnson became prime minister in order to create a dictatorship and then saying I can give links showing that he has become prime minister to prove it. It was nonsense as always. I don’t know why I bothered replying as I’d stopped because it’s always so pointless.  

You’ve replied to points I made to others, and other points I didn’t make, waffled on as ever, yet missed the one I specifically made to you. That it’s ridiculous saying you like animals whilst also being happy to have them slaughtered (you say you don’t even care if it humane) for you and eaten.

What human traits am I attributing to animals?

I didn't say I didn't care if it's killed humanely I said I didn't claim it was..... because I don't know most of the time how it's killed, unless I've killed it.

I like many things, I like flowers that die when picked, fruit is similar.... the area we differ, I think, is the necessity to cause harm... I don't agree with causing unnecessary pain and alleviating that pain if possible.... to eat the animal it is necessary to kill it. I would hope it is done humanely but I can't guaruentee it.

Some would argue that it's wrong, that's their choice..... it's not mine...... some would argue we are all gods creatures..... I would reply as Vince replied to brexit.... thankfully we get to choose without imposing our will onto others... in theory anyway.... if it's legal.

I think some people are absolute fruit loops... it's their choice, it's their life, they probably think the same of me.... I don't care.

As for waffling on...... do you want a reply based on what I think or an instant b*l*ocks that calls for no debate or thought? 

54 minutes ago, geosname said:

I didn't say I didn't care if it's killed humanely I said I didn't claim it was..... because I don't know most of the time how it's killed, unless I've killed it.

I like many things, I like flowers that die when picked, fruit is similar.... the area we differ, I think, is the necessity to cause harm... I don't agree with causing unnecessary pain and alleviating that pain if possible.... to eat the animal it is necessary to kill it. I would hope it is done humanely but I can't guaruentee it.

Some would argue that it's wrong, that's their choice..... it's not mine...... some would argue we are all gods creatures..... I would reply as Vince replied to brexit.... thankfully we get to choose without imposing our will onto others... in theory anyway.... if it's legal.

I think some people are absolute fruit loops... it's their choice, it's their life, they probably think the same of me.... I don't care.

As for waffling on...... do you want a reply based on what I think or an instant b*l*ocks that calls for no debate or thought? 

Pointless geo,he's in a different world?

I think that the practice of 'keeping pets' is wrong and in the same ballpark as killing animals for food.

The theory that you love animals so you hoard them and imprison them for your own personal gratification but won't eat meat because of cruelty to animals has always struck me as a contradiction. 

8 hours ago, geosname said:

Except it’s not necessary. It may be something you want or enjoy, but not a necessity. 

7 hours ago, For Us All said:

Pointless geo,he's in a different world?

Struggling to offer anything here without regal beagle to be your mr burns to your Smithers. 

5 hours ago, jjvale_03 said:

I think that the practice of 'keeping pets' is wrong and in the same ballpark as killing animals for food.

The theory that you love animals so you hoard them and imprison them for your own personal gratification but won't eat meat because of cruelty to animals has always struck me as a contradiction. 

I’m currently in the presses of adopting two dogs from Romania who have been beaten and abused and discarded. I can’t see how giving a dog a living home where they will be pampered and treated as a member of the family is the same as locking one in a cage, slitting it’s throat and then eating it. Some amazing mental gymnastic going on in this thread. 

2 hours ago, Andyregs said:

Except it’s not necessary. It may be something you want or enjoy, but not a necessity. 

Struggling to offer anything here without regal beagle to be your mr burns to your Smithers. 

I’m currently in the presses of adopting two dogs from Romania who have been beaten and abused and discarded. I can’t see how giving a dog a living home where they will be pampered and treated as a member of the family is the same as locking one in a cage, slitting it’s throat and then eating it. Some amazing mental gymnastic going on in this thread. 

Who do you claim to be Sideshow Bob?

19 hours ago, Andyregs said:

Fair play to you for rescuing the animals from that situation. However, the whole reason they're in such a desperate situation is because initially humans decided that they would 'keep' an animal as their pet (for their own selfish reasons), and didn't have the means or attitude to do so. Thus, proving my point.

35 minutes ago, jjvale_03 said:

Fair play to you for rescuing the animals from that situation. However, the whole reason they're in such a desperate situation is because initially humans decided that they would 'keep' an animal as their pet (for their own selfish reasons), and didn't have the means or attitude to do so. Thus, proving my point.

The difference here is they are not seen as pets in a large majority of cases... no strokes, affection, treats, training etc.... they are just animals that are there.

This causes serious problems, especially when they are free to breed at will.

Archived