onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Remember the good times?

Chopper Harris

Is it me or is anyone else fed up. I remember the days when going down to the Vale was exciting and enjoyable. I just really cant believe the predicament of where we are now. Whenever I think of happy memories of the Vale, virtually every memory was in the 80s and 90s. (The Autoglass final, beating Stoke on a regular basis, Everton, Spurs, Southampton, Leeds, Arsenal, Liverpool, Manchester United, the Anglo Italian Cup final, the play off final against WBA, derbies against WBA , Birmingham and Wolves and actually having a decent team with skilfull players, the list is endless.

When I think of the last 10 years apart from the LDV Vans trophy final I really am racking my brains to think of any highlights or good memories. Maybe the season when Steve Mcphee nearly fired us into the playoffs or when we played Spurs away in the League Cup. But my point is these highlights are few and far between. Even when I think of my favorite players and my all time favorite Port Vale team, apart from the players that were bought in the 90s, I wouldn’t have any players of the last 1o years. They wouldn’t even make the bench. Especially the current crop of players.

If you were to plot the progress of the club over the last 10 years on a graph I m sure our decline would look like the descent of a steep mountain. So where has it all gone wrong? Why cant we get things right on and off the field?

You could blame the sacking of Rudgey, the Bosman ruling, sky TV money or other factors but we should have adapted to this. Other clubs have so why haven’t we? Other smaller clubs have overtaken us, why?

The appointment of under qualified/inexperienced managers hasn’t helped like Glover and Sinnott. Where was the ambition when these were appointed? I have seen some posters recently on some threads saying that if we were to go into administration now it would be fault of SEO? From my point of view Valiant 2001 have been doing a pretty good job themselves of starving the club out.

Most importantly they have alienated the fan base. I m disillusioned and at the minute I m not even sure I care anymore. When I saw the result of last nights game I was nt bothered because I expected it. I had already accepted that we would lose to bleeding Grimsby another non league team. I m hurt that I don’t even care because the Vale is in my blood, I have been going since 1988 when I was 7.

SEO in the summer clearly didn’t work ,with fans according to PD still buying season tickets. When the new offer came in a few weeks ago more fans took the club up on this new deal. To my mind the fans who have not bought season ticket and who haven’t gone back are not going because of SEO they are just fed up and disillusioned with the club on and off the field. Is it any wonder that the new generation of kids will be going to Stoke City. I know who I would support if I was growing up in the City now.

The board have done SEO for themselves. The bogus reasons for rejecting Mike newton, Mark Sims and Mo Chaudry. Only then to hand the club over to people who have no money and no affiliation with the club. Getting rid of the old regime was a success but are we any better off? The new regime is about as good as the old regime. There is still no transparency and the same spin is coming out of the club with club statements being released without any evidence. There is also a distinct lack of fulfilling promises and lack of money.

I could start waffling about the playing staff but I will be here all day complaining about the distinct lack of ability in the team. We will finish in the bottom half of the table this season because we simply don’t have a good enough team to do any better. Another nothing season.

On the bright side at least i have a good tip for this weekend on the footie accumulators, if i were you i would include Torquay United to win away.

Advert

Is it me or is anyone else fed up. I remember the days when going down to the Vale was exciting and enjoyable. I just really cant believe the predicament of where we are now. Whenever I think of happy memories of the Vale, virtually every memory was in the 80s and 90s. (The Autoglass final, beating Stoke on a regular basis, Everton, Spurs, Southampton, Leeds, Arsenal, Liverpool, Manchester United, the Anglo Italian Cup final, the play off final against WBA, derbies against WBA , Birmingham and Wolves and actually having a decent team with skilfull players, the list is endless.

When I think of the last 10 years apart from the LDV Vans trophy final I really am racking my brains to think of any highlights or good memories. Maybe the season when Steve Mcphee nearly fired us into the playoffs or when we played Spurs away in the League Cup. But my point is these highlights are few and far between. Even when I think of my favorite players and my all time favorite Port Vale team, apart from the players that were bought in the 90s, I wouldn’t have any players of the last 1o years. They wouldn’t even make the bench. Especially the current crop of players.

If you were to plot the progress of the club over the last 10 years on a graph I m sure our decline would look like the descent of a steep mountain. So where has it all gone wrong? Why cant we get things right on and off the field?

You could blame the sacking of Rudgey, the Bosman ruling, sky TV money or other factors but we should have adapted to this. Other clubs have so why haven’t we? Other smaller clubs have overtaken us, why?

The appointment of under qualified/inexperienced managers hasn’t helped like Glover and Sinnott. Where was the ambition when these were appointed? I have seen some posters recently on some threads saying that if we were to go into administration now it would be fault of SEO? From my point of view Valiant 2001 have been doing a pretty good job themselves of starving the club out.

Most importantly they have alienated the fan base. I m disillusioned and at the minute I m not even sure I care anymore. When I saw the result of last nights game I was nt bothered because I expected it. I had already accepted that we would lose to bleeding Grimsby another non league team. I m hurt that I don’t even care because the Vale is in my blood, I have been going since 1988 when I was 7.

SEO in the summer clearly didn’t work ,with fans according to PD still buying season tickets. When the new offer came in a few weeks ago more fans took the club up on this new deal. To my mind the fans who have not bought season ticket and who haven’t gone back are not going because of SEO they are just fed up and disillusioned with the club on and off the field. Is it any wonder that the new generation of kids will be going to Stoke City. I know who I would support if I was growing up in the City now.

The board have done SEO for themselves. The bogus reasons for rejecting Mike newton, Mark Sims and Mo Chaudry. Only then to hand the club over to people who have no money and no affiliation with the club. Getting rid of the old regime was a success but are we any better off? The new regime is about as good as the old regime. There is still no transparency and the same spin is coming out of the club with club statements being released without any evidence. There is also a distinct lack of fulfilling promises and lack of money.

I could start waffling about the playing staff but I will be here all day complaining about the distinct lack of ability in the team. We will finish in the bottom half of the table this season because we simply don’t have a good enough team to do any better. Another nothing season.

On the bright side at least i have a good tip for this weekend on the footie accumulators, if i were you i would include Torquay United to win away.

I agree with all of your comments and I feel exactly the same. Last night didn't even hurt when we lost. I was expecting it too.

I've been going since 1987 and I'm losing interest by the week.

Spot on, CH...the part I really don't understand is why the Bratt Gang were so keen to stay in charge for so long. All the perks in the world cannot have made up for the kicking they have been getting over the past 3 years or so. Why were they ok with feeble levels of investment from unreliable sources, why did they turn away offers of help and support from ordinary fans on a regular basis and why did they essentially let the club run into the ground?

I just do not understand their motivation, as it appears to the uneducated that in 8 years they have taken the club back 30 years. Why anyone who calls themself a Vale fan would do such a thing seemingly willingly is really beyond me.

Spot on, CH...the part I really don't understand is why the Bratt Gang were so keen to stay in charge for so long. All the perks in the world cannot have made up for the kicking they have been getting over the past 3 years or so. Why were they ok with feeble levels of investment from unreliable sources, why did they turn away offers of help and support from ordinary fans on a regular basis and why did they essentially let the club run into the ground?

I just do not understand their motivation, as it appears to the uneducated that in 8 years they have taken the club back 30 years. Why anyone who calls themself a Vale fan would do such a thing seemingly willingly is really beyond me.

:yes:

Very true Mark.

The current situation we now find ourselves in is very worrying.

Completely baffling how they continued to turn away every offer of investment whilst the club was obviously in freefall and the re-appointment of Micky Adams as a smokescreen.:banghead:

I now genuinely feel concerned for the future of the club.:unsure:

It's been bad before, but we do seem to be revisiting the same old problems years on year just recently. I will keep supporting them, but they don't make it any easier...

We are back to where we were when Sinnott / Glover were here.

No different at all. Virtually the same players who are obviously not good enough. Its as simple as that.

When is a Manager going to come in and clear the decks and start again?....

Untill this happens we will achieve nothing.

We are back to where we were when Sinnott / Glover were here.

No different at all. Virtually the same players who are obviously not good enough. Its as simple as that.

When is a Manager going to come in and clear the decks and start again?....

Untill this happens we will achieve nothing.

I think Gannon tried, but the fans kicked him out in no time.

Archived