onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Bikey, Eagles and Foley

WalterJ

Still could sign for Vale, let's hope so that on its own would be a great thing for our club.

Sent from my iPhone using the onevalefan mobile app

Have you read the article Brown contributes to on Eagles and Foley, he wants to make his mind up how often he's talking to people, completely clueless!

Advert

Have you read the article Brown contributes to on Eagles and Foley, he wants to make his mind up how often he's talking to people, completely clueless!

Really struggling to make any sense out of this post. It's obviously meant as a criticism of Brown, but in the real world a manager's main job is to talk to players to try and get them to sign. I guess taking away Brown's phone would save money and we could just hope 18 players pitch up at pre season. I would prefer the conventional route where managers spend off season talking to players.

Really struggling to make any sense out of this post. It's obviously meant as a criticism of Brown, but in the real world a manager's main job is to talk to players to try and get them to sign. I guess taking away Brown's phone would save money and we could just hope 18 players pitch up at pre season. I would prefer the conventional route where managers spend off season talking to players.

http://m.stokesentinel.co.uk/port-vale-michael-brown-fighting-to-keep-sam-foley-and-chris-eagles/story-30321334-detail/story.html

It's all just daft football rhetoric;

1. I speak to them regularly and have a good relationship with them.

2. I am talking to them every couple of days at the moment.

3. and we are working every day with Sam

I would have expected this from Bruno but English is Brown's first language.

He said he was working on signing Jones for weeks and we all know how that worked out. He said these things take time but Pugh signed immediately.

Let's be honest the noises that Foley has made clearly indicate he's not staying so this manages no-ones expectations.

He said he was working on signing Jones for weeks and we all know how that worked out. He said these things take time but Pugh signed immediately.

Pugh was out of work with nobody else looking at him. Jones had scored 10 goals from the wing before Xmas with much bigger clubs interested that probably offered more money and more stability. The deal for Jones should have been done in September or October when it was clear we had a decent player on our hands.

Pugh was out of work with nobody else looking at him. Jones had scored 10 goals from the wing before Xmas with much bigger clubs interested that probably offered more money and more stability. The deal for Jones should have been done in September or October when it was clear we had a decent player on our hands.

Completely agree. It seems he only finds it possible to negotiate when there is nowt to negotiate.

Completely agree. It seems he only finds it possible to negotiate when there is nowt to negotiate.

Totally agree. We had nowt to negotiate with for Jones thanks to our appalling situation. Glad we're on the same wavelength. :laugh:

Didn't we offer him exactly the same deal as Bradford?

Even if that was the case, it's Vale in dire straits versus surging Bradford City. I know if I was him which one I would have chosen back in December/January, and I definitely know in hindsight which one I would have picked!

It would have been a negotiating job on par with selling ice to an eskimo to get Jones to sign here.

Even if that was the case, it's Vale in dire straits versus surging Bradford City. I know if I was him which one I would have chosen back in December/January, and I definitely know in hindsight which one I would have picked!

It would have been a negotiating job on par with selling ice to an eskimo to get Jones to sign here.

But that's just it Brown kept saying in the press for weeks running up to it he was negotiating with Brum. I wonder what he was negotiating?

I'm not sure how Brown can come in for criticism here. Take Jones for example. Negotiating a contract takes a lot of toing and froing, the player and agent will want certain things adding, this includes not only his weekly wage but his goal bonuses, his appearance bonuses to release clauses and sell on fees. Other clubs will come in and make offers (like Bradford did) and then you may have to change things to try and get close to match other clubs offers of personal terms. Then you have to agree a fee with the parent club. Its not as simple as making an offer and leaving it because players these days are weighing up their options and will play clubs off against each other. They want to play as high as they can as well as maximising their earnings too.

Also take into account that in January Brown was trying to promote a club to players, whos backdrop has an owner who publicly said he wanted to sell, who publicly declared he engineered the removal of a manager and players he didn't like a few months previous, whos manager was still only a caretaker and we'd seen the appointment of a foreign manager and a huge group of players with no experience in the summer. All that screams a club in turmoil. On top of the that the results were on the slide and attendances are at a low too. Thats a hard sell unless you have no club to go to, like Danny Pugh and others we got in for example.

But that's just it Brown kept saying in the press for weeks running up to it he was negotiating with Brum. I wonder what he was negotiating?

He got the deal with Birmingham didn't we? It's the player we didn't get the deal with. Hardly his fault given the circumstances. Sometimes you can try your best to negotiate with someone, but if that someone gets a better offer or a better situation they're going to take that.

It's really harsh to blame Brown for not signing Jones. It's like criticising someone for not winning the 100m freestyle swimming Olympic Gold, when they had their hands tied behind their back and feet put in concrete blocks.

And me fella. I think I could be spending more time looking up into the blue skies in the coming months rather than down onto the pitch.

If Smurthwaite was a pigeon Ben you know where he would have been by now!.

Would he have had his neck rung by any chance Mike??

The players MB wants to keep have been offered deals.

If Bikey, Eagles, Foley wanted to sign and play for PV they would of done so by now.

If Pugh, Turner, Boot and Reeves can pick up a pen and sign then the other 3 could as well.

Bikey, Eagles and Foley clearly have other aspirations.

http://m.stokesentinel.co.uk/port-vale-michael-brown-fighting-to-keep-sam-foley-and-chris-eagles/story-30321334-detail/story.html

It's all just daft football rhetoric;

1. I speak to them regularly and have a good relationship with them.

2. I am talking to them every couple of days at the moment.

3. and we are working every day with Sam

I would have expected this from Bruno but English is Brown's first language.

Let's be honest the noises that Foley has made clearly indicate he's not staying so this manages no-ones expectations.

What do you want him to say? Reality is Foley will be looking to see if he can get a better financial offer. If he does he'll be off if he doesn't he will stay. My guess is Eagles would probably like another shot in the Championship. If a club comes in he'll go. No player is under any pressure to sign anything for 30 days after an offer is made, that's the law.

We couldn't sign Jones until January, that's footballs regulations. Bigger and better performing clubs were always going to be interested. He has no real connection with Vale so he made the best available choice. Not liking Brown is fair enough but this is just ridiculous.

Archived