onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Q&A with Perry Deakin notes. . .

ValeForever.

A full breakdown of the questions asked and the responses given by Perry Deakin during todays Q&A session.

Hi Mr Deakin, would you be able to confirm how many shares Blue Sky International will hold following the investment deal now signed?

Following our visits to the States I can confirm that new investment totalling 24.9% of the club has been secured. I repeat this is new investment into the club, and not the purchase of existing shares.

How will going on to the Board affect your current role as Chief Executive?

It will enhance my ability to manage the club’s day-to-day operations – by holding a board position. The majority of Chief Executives within the football industry also hold full board status; it is good business practice to ensure the individual responsible for day-to-day operations also has a voice on the Board of Directors.

When will work start/finish on the RW suite and Lorne Street stand?

Hopefully work will begin on the Robbie Williams suite in the very near future and will be completed before the end of 2011. We are also committed to completion of the Lorne Street Stand before the end of August 2012.

Mr Deakin, have you already purchased shares in PVFC and if so how many, if not then who is sponsoring you to be put forward to shareholders for a place on the board

I have already purchased 20,000 shares (£100,000) and therefore do not require a sponsor.

Can you tell us will you be introducing any incentives for Vale fans to take up a ST for the remainder of the season once Mr Bratt has left the Board?

Yes I will be implementing a scheme to enable supporters to purchase a half-year season ticket. Details will be announced shortly.

Is there money to spend to buy a player or will it be free transfers only?

As you are aware the transfer window is currently closed. Giving us the opportunity to sign on loan or out of contract players, we have recently bought three of this category into the club and Micky continues to look at other options to strengthen his squad. The January transfer window offers Micky the opportunity to sign players via transfer and he will be indicating his desire to do so or otherwise at the appropriate time – and we would love to support these requests.

Some of the questions that have been submitted are covered by the Chairman’s Q&A that took place last week. I would refer all those asking these to refer to the Q&A which can be found on the official website.

Perry, is there any news on Mark Sims joining the board?

We have recently met with Mark and had very convivial discussions - the ball remains in Mark’s court.

Attendances are way down on last year and yet the club has increased admission prices on the gate. With a poorer on pitch offering than last year and massive divides in the fanbase what are your plans to bring back the missing fans and harmony to the club.

It is hugely disappointing to have crowds down but then the vast majority of football clubs are suffering similar drops in attendances. We have listened to supporters and in particular their desire for boardroom change. We are implementing these changes as we speak; supporting Micky Adams’ request to strengthen his squad and we will be offering half-year season tickets to those who wish to return.

We very much hope that this combined with our commitment to improving facilities will encourage more to attend match days.

It is perhaps also worth noting that we remain at the top end of the League Two attendances despite the recent drop in attendance.

What is the detail behind the plan to make the club debt free in 12 months?

We are all working very hard to reduce the club’s debt and will continue to do so. Obviously there are commercial sensitivities surrounding this but I can assure you that it is high on the priority list for all those involved.

What is plan b with regards to Mr Bratts departure if you do NOT get voted onto the Board and likewise for Mr Oliver should the Blue sky rep fail to get voted onto the board?

We are very much hoping that having insisted changes were made on the Board of Directors; shareholders support our plans to implement these changes. Clearly should my application fail, no change will be made until such time an alternative candidate (who qualifies via our articles of association) is nominated and elected.

But having campaigned so strongly for change it would seem slightly irrational not support the changes presented for approval.

How can fans be sure that Bill Bratt and Glen oliver will be leaving the club,is this in writing? We have been promised this many times before so forgive my doubt.

Both of the individuals you mention have confirmed their departure from the football club. Both via media outlets and in writing to the Bard of Directors. Mr Bratt will step down from the Board of Directors upon my appointment (if successful) and Mr Oliver is not seeking re-election at the upcoming AGM. I don’t believe that they or I could be any clearer on this matter.

Hi Perry, i would like to know if there is a set plan in place for progression on the pitch. Ie, a 5 year plan to bring championship level football back to Vale Park?

That is really a matter for the football department who continue to work extremely hard to develop a team capable of promotion.

hi, what timescale are we looking at for the completion of the complex at chaterly?

As with the Lorne Street Stand area of the club, we are hoping for completion within a 12 month period.

Mr Deakin, are you and the chairman still committed to the 24.9% ruling in the Articles, bearing in mind that the success which the Blue Sky investment could bring may lead to consierable interest in purchase of the club.by wealthy individuals at a future date?

It is not a case of myself and Mike supporting it – or otherwise. Those are the articles of association and we will adhere to them until such time the shareholders vote to instruct us otherwise.

i feel the sential have been so negative and report only negative thing is it time for the club to do a saf and not talk to them

It is obviously extremely disappointing to receive negative coverage in areas we feel should be more positively supported. This coverage is something I discuss on a regular basis with the senior management team at the club. However, we operate a free press within the UK and each publication must make its own decision in terms of how it supports its local football club’s and otherwise – and of course we respect this.

Have you had any interest in stadium sponsorship? Is this something you are actively looking to do?

Yes we have had interest in stadium and other high value sponsorships and I continue to negotiate these for the benefit of the club.

Hi Perry, Any plans on reintroducing pay on the turnstile for the Bycars End? I think it would encourage more fans into this area.

I appreciate the point you make however, we are trying to move the club forwards in terms of ticket purchasing options and a return to cash payment on this stand is not currently an option I am looking at.

Do you see the Blue Sky investment opening doors to other potential investors / sponsors from America?

Very much so yes and was one of the major contributing factors when considering the agreement with them.

How did you find Hank Julicher and why were you so keen to accept their investment after such a short space of time?

It was clear from our very first meeting that Hank was an extremely successful businessman with unprecedented experience and contacts. We formed a very good relationship, very quickly and throughout negotiations Hank’s responses to our questions proved insightful and always in the best interests of Port Vale. Opportunities such as those presented by Hank and his Blue Sky team are rare in my experience and we were therefore delighted to agree to work with them for the long term.

Why would you invest 100K of your own money when you are a Villa fan?

This clearly wasn’t a decision based upon the team I grew up supporting, but a business decision based upon the potential that Port Vale football club offers. Although I have only be at the club some five months I am absolutely certain that the club has a bright future and with Blue Sky’s support and investment I have feel that success can be achieved.

Mr Deakin, thank you for your time. Where do you visualise PVFC both on and off the pitch in say 5 years time?

Off the pitch, I constantly talk to club staff in terms of us being a Premier League club in everything we do and every engagement we have with a supporter or client. I would like to think that in five years time Port Vale is viewed as one of the most professional, forward thinking football clubs in the industry. As far as on-field plans are concerned, again this is a matter for the football department, but we continue to support their ambitions fully.

Are you expecting to make a return on your investment into the club?

I am certainly hoping not to lose value in my investment in the long-term.

when is hank going to visit the vale and his he going to be the person to apply to be a director

Hank is due to visit the UK during October and discussions regarding Blue Sky’s nominated Director are ongoing.

As Mr Lloyd is an acting chairman, who is planned/planning to takeover this position?

Those discussions are ongoing at Board level any new Chairman would have to be voted into that position by the Board of Directors. Mike’s position interim chairman was based upon his desire to help the club whilst it went through a period of change at Board level. Mike made it clear that he was prepared to accept the position of Chairman whilst this period of transition was taking place – but he will remain upon the Board of Directors, as a minimum long-term.

What in your opinion are the things that need changing most urgently at Port Vale and have you started?

Upon arrival at the club I felt that a fresh approach a new drive and energy was required across the club’s business operations, and in particularly the club’s commercial department. I have just completed a round of significant change within our commercial operations, which has resulted in the introduction of six new members of staff which will hopefully see the club continue with its significant commercial success in recent months. All new staff possess the skills and experience required but more importantly have a passion and drive for success which although I consider number one perquisite of employment, was impressive none the less. I am certain that these individuals will deliver unprecedented success for the football club, both in the short and long-term.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone who has sent in questions. Hopefully, I have managed to cover the majority of those not addressed by the Chairman’s Q&A last week. I have been overwhelmed by the volume of questions received, and would like to make this website Q&A a regular feature in the coming months.

I look forward to speaking with you either at Vale Park in person, or via our live web chats.

Perry Deakin

Advert

Hi Perry, Any plans on reintroducing pay on the turnstile for the Bycars End? I think it would encourage more fans into this area.

I appreciate the point you make however, we are trying to move the club forwards in terms of ticket purchasing options and a return to cash payment on this stand is not currently an option I am looking at.

I personally would suggest that he puts pay to this rediculous "ticket purchasing" crap and return to (for this & next season at least) cash on the gates.

Its not as if we save by not having people on the turnstile so personally i dont see where exactly we save money.

When we are in desperate need of building our fan base back up, all options should be made available and admission prices slashed across the ground.....yes even for away fans.

Poxy half price season tickets will not make a jot of difference at the minute as in the first place we need to get people through the gate for that all important first game, once in we needa team worth the supporters investment, then once we have that in place we can start worrying about season tickets!!!

I know its a pain queuing up twice,once for a ticket and then to get in the ground but you do have the option of paying in the paddock,I thought we want VALE to move forward not backwards,going back to pay at the turnstiles is a backward move ....... :yes: ... I suppose they could move the pay gate to the Bycars and close the paddock one but I think more than a few wont like that ..

Attendances are way down on last year and yet the club has increased admission prices on the gate. With a poorer on pitch offering than last year and massive divides in the fanbase what are your plans to bring back the missing fans and harmony to the club.

It is hugely disappointing to have crowds down but then the vast majority of football clubs are suffering similar drops in attendances. We have listened to supporters and in particular their desire for boardroom change. We are implementing these changes as we speak; supporting Micky Adams’ request to strengthen his squad and we will be offering half-year season tickets to those who wish to return.

We very much hope that this combined with our commitment to improving facilities will encourage more to attend match days.

It is perhaps also worth noting that we remain at the top end of the League Two attendances despite the recent drop in attendance.

The above question and Deakns answer shows just how out of touch he is with the fan base.

He hides behind attendances being down across the board in L2 & i genuinely believe that he thinks fans are staying away from PVFC as part of natural course.

He seems to not really accept that fans are staying away because of HIS ticket prices and the board situation.

He doesnt really strike me as interested in reaching out to the lost fans and seems almost to have a belief that he has listened to the fans & that him being on the board should be automatic.

I get the impression from his comments that we will be dictated to as to who goes on the board and at the min i think hes saying its him or Bratt. Well why not look for another person?? i fail to see (whether its common practice or not) how having a CEO on the board enhances Deakins ability to do his job better than if hes not on it??

Maybe he could give a few examples of where or how it benefits.

Other than that it was good to see a few timescales (no matter how hazy) placed on RW suite & Lorne street.

One other area, it seems theres not a current plan on the football side, seems to be very "thats for the football dept" surely we have some sort of plan beyond this season or vision as to where we see ourselves over the next 5yrs???

I know its a pain queuing up twice,once for a ticket and then to get in the ground but you do have the option of paying in the paddock,I thought we want VALE to move forward not backwards,going back to pay at the turnstiles is a backward move ....... :yes:

I would agree with that; we want to keep moving forward.

I know its a pain queuing up twice,once for a ticket and then to get in the ground but you do have the option of paying in the paddock,I thought we want VALE to move forward not backwards,going back to pay at the turnstiles is a backward move ....... :yes: ... I suppose they could move the pay gate to the Bycars and close the paddock one but I think more than a few wont like that ..

All im thinkinh of is removing barriers/excuses in the current climate of stayaways i think all options must be available.

Take the scenario: A fan at 2:30 manages to finish work early & thinks "ill give vale a go again" they get to the ground at say 2:50 only to be told cant pay on gate.

Are they likely to trudge around to a ticket office, queue, then back around? especially come winter???

Nope. Theres plenty of people in that position & plenty who make a late decision to attend a game based on numerous issues such as work, family, money etc

I just believe that currently all options should be made available while we build bridges & try to entice lost fans back.

I'm surprised at the negativity of some of you - I'm astonished in fact.

You seem to be blinded by your prejudices to be honest - I don't see myself in any way as a "happy clapper" but I think these are pretty good answers to almost all the questions, and there 's a lot of nit picking going on.......I agree about the pay on the gate issue - it would be nice to be able to.

I don't think he's hiding behind anything on the poor attendances - he actually says they have listened about boardroom change, and that seems to be the biggest barrier, if we're honest - most of the people not going would have bought season tickets before, so the pay on the day prices shouldn't really be the main issue - too high, I agree, but that may change.

He says there will be the opportunity to buy half season tickets or similar in December anyway, so let's wait and see on that.

I'm actually quite impressed with the overall tone of the answers - and I think the BSI shares question is answered that way possibly because of confidentiality rather than something to hide.....but then some among you would want to ask him when he stopped beating his wife........

I can't see any reason not to take most of this on trust, and if I'm wrong, well, that's my look out.

All im thinkinh of is removing barriers/excuses in the current climate of stayaways i think all options must be available.

Take the scenario: A fan at 2:30 manages to finish work early & thinks "ill give vale a go again" they get to the ground at say 2:50 only to be told cant pay on gate.

Are they likely to trudge around to a ticket office, queue, then back around? especially come winter???

Nope. Theres plenty of people in that position & plenty who make a late decision to attend a game based on numerous issues such as work, family, money etc

I just believe that currently all options should be made available while we build bridges & try to entice lost fans back.

The solution would be to have a cash turn style at every stand but make it £2 cheaper to buy your ticket in advance I.e ticket office closes at 2.50 or 7.35 this way the club can not loose

i was trusting once

i regret it

you can't spend your whole life regretting it though - I know a pessimist is never disappointed, except by good news, but to be frank, I don't think there's anything to lose on this - we've achieved most of what we wanted that was possible, and I think the chances of changing the whole thing were never realistic even with Robbie's proxy - given that they needed a massive majority we didn't have.

None of this would have happened without the EGM vote, so let's put the regrets behind us and take a step forward....seriously, what have we to lose at this stage? More to the point, what could we gain by holding on for the unlikely, the improbable and the impossible?

All answers are as fluffy as those to most of the 141 questions.

The only answers I can give my considered opinion on are those relating to construction / development. I would not consider any plan containing the words "hope to be completed by" as a seriously thought out plan.

How much work is involved in the project he hopes to have completed by the end of this year? The one which he hopes to tender, procure, instruct and complete in 3 months? Do BS have a budget cost plan worked out, and the money set aside? I don't think so ...

Archived