onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

I feel like giving up re athletics

JOHNNYAITCH

Advert

I feel the same way, and I don't watch Cycling anymore. Lance Armstrong put me off that sport.

There was a good programme on BBC4 last week about doping. They said that if Michael Johnson

had not been doping , he would have finished about 6th or 7th in the Olympics.

Problem is, everyone else was doping as well but noone looks into people who come 6th or 7th

I feel the same way, and I don't watch Cycling anymore. Lance Armstrong put me off that sport.

There was a good programme on BBC4 last week about doping. They said that if Michael Johnson

had not been doping , he would have finished about 6th or 7th in the Olympics.

Has Johnson been named as one of them!

Ive got to the point where I think they should just allow it, otherwise its a pointless sport. Whoever is the fastest is the fastest. Treat drugs as a method of improving your chances in the same way better facilities and training methods help.

In the 1970s I watched as East German and Russian and US athletes dominated. It is clear drugs were widespread and most obvious with the appearance of women. After the end of communism the east declined but we still had the spectre of people like Ben Johnson.

This is now professional sport but it still sucks public funding to support athletes or build stadia. Then, like The London Olympic stadium, a stupid arrogant round structure requiring a huge refurbishment to make it useable, athletics has to be bailed out by soccer. And it is still full of drug users. I just refuse to watch this garbage.

Has Johnson been named as one of them!

Ive got to the point where I think they should just allow it, otherwise its a pointless sport. Whoever is the fastest is the fastest. Treat drugs as a method of improving your chances in the same way better facilities and training methods help.

I've started to feel like that but once you allow it in top level athletics where does it end? Does it creep down to junior level with all the associated health risks and so on.

Deterrents have to be stronger..lifetime bans, removal from the record books, criminal prosecution, seizure of assets, ban the countries involved from competitions so they get their act together (although can't see the IOC banning, say, the USA if several of its athletes are caught doping). Of course they are only deterrents if people think they are going to get caught.

I wait with interest the next test Justin Gaitlin takes - assuming he's not on the list again!

You don't get older and get faster without taking some sort of enhancement drug. He epitomises why the bans aren't harsh enough - he's now served two (or is it 3) bans for cheating. It has to be a zero tolerance lifetime ban, complete scrub from the records and with perhaps the repayment of all sponsorship money to all sponsors since turning professional. At least then the return of many millions might put them off if that's the motivation.

Archived