onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

playing budget

v2001 out!!!

Would I buy existing sold shares, rather than fresh unsold shares ( fresh money in the kitty )

Would I pay myself a salary of £50K + Expenses and Pension.

Would I hire a proven nutcase of a manager that had totally different footballing principles than the previous recent departed.

Would I re hire the previous manager on twice his former salary.

What you suggest with the playing budget is not really a viable option, IMO.

No I totally understand all that, but thats not really my question. Let me phrase it differently. Suppose all of what you suggest happens, new board etc etc and we increase net revenues by 300k, meaning we could balance the books with a playing budget of 1.2m.

Would you stick with that, or would you run a higher budget? Say 1.5m? What I am trying to ascertain is peoples appetite for risk with regards promotion. How much should we as a club "speculate to accumulate". Irrespective of who is in the board seat, they will have to answer this question.

Advert

Listen...as much as I echo your sentiments there is a cancer in our club that is the board and it first and formost HAS to be got rid of before this club ever moves forward...starve em out is working and will work they will soon see that we will come to the end of the road and there is no money coming in to fund their ever increasing losses and will have to sell sooner rather than later.

I have said that I would accept Admin if it meant getting rid of them because I honestly think that is the only way these people will leave

I had another phone call today from the commercial dept trying to sell me advertising in the ground thats 2 calls 2 days....they are desperate to get money in from all directions to cover the obvious losses in season ticket revenue

STARVE EM OUT!!!!

i agree with both of your comments, but would you accept relegation ,to get rid of this shower ??

No I totally understand all that, but thats not really my question. Let me phrase it differently. Suppose all of what you suggest happens, new board etc etc and we increase net revenues by 300k, meaning we could balance the books with a playing budget of 1.2m.

Would you stick with that, or would you run a higher budget? Say 1.5m? What I am trying to ascertain is peoples appetite for risk with regards promotion. How much should we as a club "speculate to accumulate". Irrespective of who is in the board seat, they will have to answer this question.

Let me have a go...

The club must attempt to break even and base the playing budget on strict parameters. When this is applied correctly, its then possible to direct any extra revenue, such as revenue from a cup run, towards it. The same could be applied with league attendances/gate receipts too.

If PVFC have players on unsustainable contracts and aan unsustainable playing budget, sooner or later they will have to redress the balance sooner or later.

What sounds simple but is perhaps harder to implement is that there are a lot of good players who are good enough to get us out of this league. By providing the correct incentices it would be possible to get these players to over-perform.

In short, Accrington have built a good side through (i'd imagine) solid scouting. Personally I would revamp the way scouting is performed and I would advocate a policy that involved looking at a hell of a lot of non league players.

I had a 'scout' sit in front of me all of last season. :unsure: IF he was a scout why the hell wasn't he out watching football ***?

Basically AVIM, it isn't how much money you spend but rather changing how the money is spent. This board (and a lot of others tbf) aren't very clever when it comes to that, but I'd imagine you need a manager who believes things could be better that way (John Coleman?).

Basically AVIM, it isn't how much money you spend but rather changing how the money is spent. This board (and a lot of others tbf) aren't very clever when it comes to that, but I'd imagine you need a manager who believes things could be better that way (John Coleman?).

To be honest, this is inline with my own view. The most important thing for success at a club like the vale is the football manager - everything flows down from there. Sure,it helps to have a decent budget but without a good manager, who is given time to implement some kind of long term plan and consistency, it wont help.

Where I do see some inconsistency is people who moan about the club running a deficit and also moan about a small playing budget or not being able to afford this/that the other player. We cant have it both ways.

Apart from playing better teams, and avoiding a bad season dropping us in to the Blue Square, what is the financial benefit of L1? TV money is not much greater, unlike a £2M jump for the Championship.

Apart from playing better teams, and avoiding a bad season dropping us in to the Blue Square, what is the financial benefit of L1? TV money is not much greater, unlike a £2M jump for the Championship.

I think primarily it comes from higher average attendances and an ability to charge more for sponsorship deals etc. Last year the vale got 550k from the football league and the FA, not sure what that would jump to in league one. But I am sure you are right that the gap between league 1 and league 2 is smaller than league 1 to championship.

In terms of selling the club on, then of course the higher level makes the club more attractive.

I think primarily it comes from higher average attendances and an ability to charge more for sponsorship deals etc. Last year the vale got 550k from the football league and the FA, not sure what that would jump to in league one. But I am sure you are right that the gap between league 1 and league 2 is smaller than league 1 to championship.

In terms of selling the club on, then of course the higher level makes the club more attractive.

Higher average attendances? Maybe. Higher player wages? Definitely.

Moving up to L1 would not be the financial solution alot think it is. Much as I'd like it to happen, you need to push on from L1 to the Championship because you'll get much better away followings. I just don't think we have the resources to do that without investment, which, as we all know, will be turned down if the present incumbents feel it threatens their position.

Higher average attendances? Maybe. Higher player wages? Definitely.

Moving up to L1 would not be the financial solution alot think it is. Much as I'd like it to happen, you need to push on from L1 to the Championship because you'll get much better away followings. I just don't think we have the resources to do that without investment, which, as we all know, will be turned down if the present incumbents feel it threatens their position.

I agree, of course, any higher revenues could easily be offset (or more) against higher expenses in terms of playing budget and again we would be faced with the question of how best to set playing budget with respect to projected income.

A one-off equity Investment would of course give us more headroom to run a bigger loss for a couple of years. But as soon as its spent, its spent. I would rather see it invested in capex/infrastructure projects that would benefit the club long term. New training ground/youth facilities, complete lorne street etc rather than just cranking up the playing budget by a few 100k for a few years.

I would rather see it invested in capex/infrastructure projects that would benefit the club long term. New training ground/youth facilities, complete lorne street etc rather than just cranking up the playing budget by a few 100k for a few years.

Same here. The main reason why I am for Mo Chaudry's bid. It's not really about the money, although it helps, it's the business acumen and team he promises to bring in that is the key to his bid imo.

Cranking up the playing budget is a recipe for disaster, as has been proved many times. One bad player, or greedy player whose heart isn't in it, and that is money down the drain.

It is about business acumen year after year the club have failed to turn the commercial side into a decent profit, for a number of years Mike Lloyd has complained of BBs stewardship, I bet jacko would not let BB run one of his companies, yet they let him run our club into the ground, the word clueless springs to mind.

If the club was run properly there would be a lot more money for players, and we then may enjoy some success.I think the board are hoping MA can weave a bit of magic to pull them out of the s-it , may not be so easy as they think.

Archived