onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Would you bin the development squad to maintain Adams & a strong 1st team next season

Bede

Would you sacrifice the Development Squad to keep Adams & team continuity?  

80 members have voted

1. 1. Would you sacrifice the Development Squad to keep Adams & team continuity?

• No - The Development Squad is key to our future
    • Yes - The first team & league 1 status & progress is more important

The thing is, when we get loan players in they are usually young kids, so why not use our own young kids and save on paying extra loan players.

PS, not knocking our loan players, Grimmer has been excellent.

If our young players were good enough they would be in the team/squad as Hughill is. As Micky said he is grateful for the financial terms the parent clubs have agreed to.

Advert

I think we still need to see how many of the devlopments squad make if through. If I Remember correctly, I'm sure micky has previously said that hugill was on the clubs radar towards the end of last season so I dont think the development squad can take the credit for that. Nobody else from that squad has played a telling role even when injuries have left gaps in the first team. Personally JR didn't have to rely on a development squad and his gems were sourced from great scouting so I would be happy to go down that route and getting premier youngsters to join our first team squad annually. I.e. If we offered terms to hugill, o'neill and maybe the Wilson lad and they were part of a 23 man first team squad, I would be happy and I don't think we would be talking about any development squad. Just my opinion if course and I do appreciate the fact that whereas the vale paid £20k odd for Ian Taylor a while ago, today for the same player from moor green, would probably cost us £100k which we can't currently afford!

I think a decision should be made on value not cost

Totally agree not some thing smurf does readily though value has got to be mickey Adams but he is too expensive apparently. The danger is we keep a development squad and mickey we could get promoted next season something smurf could neither afford or cope with he would have to be the chief exec and owner of a championship outfit

Totally agree not some thing smurf does readily though value has got to be mickey Adams but he is too expensive apparently. The danger is we keep a development squad and mickey we could get promoted next season something smurf could neither afford or cope with he would have to be the chief exec and owner of a championship outfit

He has already said that should we get to the Championship then would sell the club to someone who could keep us there,so I doubt he would be here anyway.

It's a typical chicken and egg situation, however I do believe Micky doesn't really like loan players too much, much rather players who are signed up and committed to the club.

Grimmer is one of the few loan players who is/has made a real positive difference but I still think we should be looking to keep the development squad as in my mind it's an important part of the development of the club as a whole.

I think it's far more important that the Football Authorities in general look to assist ALL Football League clubs in assisting them financially to keep development squads going. Perhaps if a percentage of Premier League transfer charges were passed on to League clubs for development squads would then this make a difference, after all each time Chelsea/Stoke buy a foreign player, that's yet another nail in our coffin so to speak.

The days of top teams buying from the next league down and so on and so forth are long gone, so too the days of ageing top players moving back down the leagues to help out lower league teams.

If it's a question of choice between the development squad and the manager, the development squad every time as our only hope for long term financial stability is to develop our own players (and sell them on from time to time). That does not mean that the present development squad does not need to be culled and others brought in on a regular basis. Thoroughly agree with Birches Head Fred over foreign players as there are many average to poor foreign players in our system and it gets ridiculous when we have foreign players sitting on the bench in non League. This is a problem that the FA needs to deal with urgently. If Adams does not realise that the development of young players is a vital part of his job, then he is not fit for the job.

if we don't have the money to run a youth development squad then get rid . imo no adams will see our best players leave and a much weakened squad , probably resulting in relegation . if that happens you can kiss goodbye to your youth development squad anyway.

the ideal scenario would be keep the youth development squad , keep adams , keep most of our better players but trim down the deadwood from the squad . to boost the trimmed squad bring in a couple of season long or half season loans from prem league clubs *who will fund their wages*. I KNOW I AM DREAMING THOUGH.

Archived