onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Two guilty of Lee Rigby murder.

melv

I dont see many market traders/butchers etc taking credit cards... do aldi take cards? or the other one I can never remember the name of?

That's why I suggest that all should be able to withdraw a %age as cash...for the foreseeable some cash will be needed

ALDI and LIDL both take debit cards as far as I can find out; not all stores UK wide accept credit cards..this will be a debit card

Advert

That's why I suggest that all should be able to withdraw a %age as cash...for the foreseeable some cash will be needed

ALDI and LIDL both take debit cards as far as I can find out; not all stores UK wide accept credit cards..this will be a debit card

LIDL... thats the begger... anyway still dont agree with your suggestion, the % would worry me somewhat and to some having a "fictional" amount [i use the word loosely, the amount you think you have but dont actually have] as opposed to the cash they can deal with is a bad move. You would be surprised how many people who came to the CAB saying they separated their money for different items into envelopes [or similar] so they knew what they had left to spend on food, you may also be surprised how many people with bank accounts said they thought that because they had "X" amount on their statement they could spend it... Im not sure how the % limit would/could be enforced but I can see a scheme by the unscrupulous to gain money from it... instead of buying goods the shopkeeper gives cash but not to the amount supposedly spent a 10% or more charge for the service... didnt the loan sharks confiscate child benefit books at one time?... wasnt there a scandal across the water about food stamps a while ago?

The idea is of course open to debate and will have pluses and minuses

The %age thing will work by the bank setting a limit of X% that you can withdraw each week based on what you have coming in each week/month. Will have its flaws and will be complex to setup but ongoing it should work. The banks would need an incentive though which i think would have to be either some positive PR for them and payment form the govt for providing the service. 'DHSS' and the like would deal with queries and act as a go between with the banks as I'm well aware that many people don't like dealing with banks

No overdraft facility

Of course some may take advantage of it and those using it such as, as you say, unscrupulous shop keepers..no system is perfect. This is designed to help those on benefits to have more control over their cash and to impose some control on what is done with it

Plus there would be a significant change over period..would not expect everyone to just switch to this on day one

I see where your going... Im not sure its the right direction but then Im not sure its wrong either... I fear that if this type of system is administered some bright spark would, sooner or later, decide that it prevents people on benefits overspending and want to extend a similar system to cover workers who cant control their budget and reduce their overall debt or make sure certain interests are paid first... I feel that any intrusion, in this way, would undermine the freedom of the individual... cash is and will be acceptable everywhere, credit/debit cards will never be total.

I see where your going... Im not sure its the right direction but then Im not sure its wrong either... I fear that if this type of system is administered some bright spark would, sooner or later, decide that it prevents people on benefits overspending and want to extend a similar system to cover workers who cant control their budget and reduce their overall debt or make sure certain interests are paid first... I feel that any intrusion, in this way, would undermine the freedom of the individual... cash is and will be acceptable everywhere, credit/debit cards will never be total.

The intrusion is a risk and I thought about that an awful lot but then this is public/taxpayers money. I don't see/want it ever extended to cover those not on benefits..banks make too much money form debt

I'm trying to avoid any stigma by making it like an ordinary debit card..no one seeing it would know what it was..I'm not suggesting forming a special bank called "Royal Bank of Scroungers" or anything like that ;)

As to cash..it will be gone in the UK within a few years..maybe 10, maybe less..banks want to get rid..there's no money it in for them :)

• 3 weeks later...

Archived