onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

England tonight...

Burt

Advert

Is anyone surprised though? Looking at Germany's 2nd string tonight shows the gap between us and other top nations. Whilst we have the likes of Wilshere, Cleverly, Henderson and Lallana pushing for places Germany had quality in midfield such as Kroos, Reus, Gotze and managed to bring on players like Schurrle and Draxler. That is our starting 11 for next years World Cup, Germany had several players out that would walk into the England squad.

Nothing new though we have know this for years and it aint getting any brighter!

Is anyone surprised though? Looking at Germany's 2nd string tonight shows the gap between us and other top nations. Whilst we have the likes of Wilshere, Cleverly, Henderson and Lallana pushing for places Germany had quality in midfield such as Kroos, Reus, Gotze and managed to bring on players like Schurrle and Draxler. That is our starting 11 for next years World Cup, Germany had several players out that would walk into the England squad.

Nothing new though we have know this for years and it aint getting any brighter!

It won't get any brighter either until somebody wakes up and sees that the international team takes priority,that's what the Germans did when they structured their game around the national side.

England's defending was dire, Smalling in neither international class at center or right back, Ashley Cole is done for England, Walker needs to curb his forays or get someone to cover for him.

For Arsenal Mertesacker looks and is a liability, tonight England's defenders made him look good.

That`s it then,no point going to Brazil cos we lost in a tight game against one of the best footballing nations out there.

Spain might as well not bother going either after losing to South Africa,nor the recently decent Belgians after losing at home to Japan.

Still,beat Denmark come March and The World Cup is as good as ours!

Friendlies count for Jack diddley squat.

I don't read much into the game..it was a friendly

However a few comments

I remain unconvinced by Wilshere

Cleverley is just not good enough

Our defenders don't work hard enough to stop crosses (or at least didn't last night)

Gerrard needs to stop the 30 yard Hollywood passes which usually just give the ball away

We need a midfielder who can get himself into some space ro receive the ball and then move it forward quickly and efectively

We should try and get some shots on target :)

But I thought we showed patience in possession and there was some good movement.

It struck me last night that England find themselves in the same position as Liverpool do in that they know how they want to play but they just need to wait while the players who can play that way become available.

In Liverpool's case they can buy them in so, in theory, they could turn it around in the next 5-6 years.

England, however, are dependent on the current crop of 10-15 year olds being trained that way.

Gerrard's attempted 60 yard cross-field pass over their right-back's head in the 9th minute summed it up last night.

I don't think that doing something like that even entered a German head all night.

It struck me last night that England find themselves in the same position as Liverpool do in that they know how they want to play but they just need to wait while the players who can play that way become available.

I agree with that..we keep trying to play a game that the players just aren't equipped to play..shou;le we abandon that and just play to our strengths?

Gerrard's attempted 60 yard cross-field pass over their right-back's head in the 9th minute summed it up last night.

I don't think that doing something like that even entered a German head all night.

Agreed

To be fair I would take Lallana but none of the others, seen him live and he looks rally good.

I think its a massive reality check that we are simply not good enough, can't retain possession of a football for more than 3 to 4 passes and don't have the desire.

Everytime we go to a tournament we balme the manager because of our world class players, well its guff quite frankly, we aren't and won't be next year anywhere near good enough. Aside from Jagielka we have defenders in the two games that can't defend, Walker, Cole, Smalling, Cahill, Baines, Johnson and Jones (maybe harsh on him) are simply not good enough. The emphasis seems to be on full backs to attack but primarily they are defenders and Johnson and Walker particularly are so very poor at this.

People rave on about Rooney and Sturridge but they were totally shown up last night in a side thats supposed to be not far from the best we can field. It was truly cringeworthy particularly as I watched it with my German mate who did nothing but feel sorry for us a little like Ballack and all the other Germans are doing.

The only hope is Townsend and it appears we are going to put too much pressure on him.

Frankly if we get past the 2nd round I will be pleasantly surprised.

The Stats do not porky pie:

67% of Gemans nationals play in there top league

I blame the PL and how business like it is run at the expence on the national team, and not getting any better.

The figure being banded around last night was 26%, that is a national disgrace. bLame who you like, if the players were good enough and had enough drive and ambition they would play.

That`s it then,no point going to Brazil cos we lost in a tight game against one of the best footballing nations out there.

Spain might as well not bother going either after losing to South Africa,nor the recently decent Belgians after losing at home to Japan.

Still,beat Denmark come March and The World Cup is as good as ours!

Friendlies count for Jack diddley squat.

We lost to their reserve side with virtually our best team, maybe exluding Smalling and Cleverley. We didn't lose a tight game, they coasted it, we hit the post through our only real hope and..... nothing else :)

The figure being banded around last night was 26%' date=' that is a national disgrace. bLame who you like, if the players were good enough and had enough drive and ambition they would play.[/quote']

But the players don't get the opportunity to prove that they are good enough as clubs bring in overseas players who have already probved themelves

How can a young English player prove that he is good enough when his club brings in a proven foreign player which stops him from having first team games where he can prove himself?

Germany amongst many things encouraged/forced its clubs to play young German talent to develop it and for the players to prove that they are good enough

I might have been the best guitar player in the world but if I never get the platform to prove it then bands will continue to persist with establisyhed (but lesser) players like Beck, Blackmore, Page and Vai ;)

Archived