onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Port Vale v Wolves Post Match

1517sharps

Advert

One question about the gate yesterday- didn't Smurf tell us that well over 13,500 tickets were sold by Thursday? How come then that gate declared at a figure well less than even that?

It doesn't add up does it? Excuse the pun.

I've mentioned in previous threads about Vale's failure to name accurate attendances.

Apparently we'd sold 15,000 against Northampton last season, but on the day it was less than 12,500.

Perplexing.

One question about the gate yesterday- didn't Smurf tell us that well over 13,500 tickets were sold by Thursday? How come then that gate declared at a figure well less than even that?

I thought that as there was a steady queue of of people purchasing tickets on Friday afternoon?

Has the extra gate money gone to the Police?

On the game itself, first half we shaded. it was apparent early second half that Wolves had puched on, we backed off, isolated the forwards (Again!). Griffiths murdered us down the left side, game over.

we looked poor at times, pleased Tom Pope got his goal though. How on earth did the Wolves defenders get away with 'bear-hugging' him on virtually every high ball?

We looked disjointed, backed off, left them 2/3 of the pitch to play in resulting in our only option of big boot clearances for the majority.

Time to give Dodds, Birchall and Williamson a go, if they are not up to the job fair enough. We need to know.

Why take of JMW, yes he faded but where was the threat?

Yates, Loft and Grif had decent games IMO. Will Yates be Mickey's scapegoat again? he'd better not.

What a load of ****. Leigh Griffiths was £250k, Sigurdson £2.4m, McDonald £750k, Kevin Doyle £6.5m, Goldbourne £700k that's some youth team. Dunna make daft statements without checking out the facts!

Not to mention Kevin Doyle still been paid 40k a week

I honestly thought, after they had gone one up, that if we had taken one of the two chances, the header against the post or the great save we would not have lost the game.

I did think the pace of the game, especially how they scored on the break, had the feeling of playing with ten men.

As for Pope... Is it a problem with fitness? Is he back on the pop? Is it a supply problem from wingers who seem to have lost the ability to get beyond a fullback? Is he gelling with his strike partner? Have the centre halves he has played against been stronger? I think it may be a combination of all the above? Should he be dropped? Not yet I feel, but I wouldn't hesitate to sub him at half time and give Williamson a longer run out with his pace.

Having had the misfortune to have been at the Colchester game, the contrast between Hughes paired with Williamson, and Pope with Tomlin, was stark. For the first time in a dire match, with JMW also on as a sub and playing wide, we put more pressure on Colchester than for the whole previous 70 minutes. I'd definitely therefore try Willo with Hughes as a starting pair - Hughes wins more ball than Pope and has more guile and movement, while Williamson's pace really upset their defence. Micky needs to try it, but I don't think he will, not yet anyway. In any case, it can't be worse than the threat offered yesterday by the combination of Pope, who's way out of sorts, and Hughes.

There were two turning points for me yesterday. The first was Jones going off, which unbalanced our defence and, to a large extent, nullified our attacking threat down the left. It was no coincidence that all their three goals came down the right. It also showed for me how much we need to sign Doumbé so we have better cover at left back with either Dicko or Jones. Maybe, if attendances keep up, we can make a case to the FL for another signing.

The other turning point was Micky's strange change of tactics at half time. Having both matched them and kept them quiet in the first half (I think I counted just one chance for Leigh Griffiths), we came out playing some weird 4-1-3-2 formation, with JMW through the middle, which just opened up the wings for them to play, leading directly to their goals. I also thought we could go on to win after the first half but we just seemed to script our own downfall.

I just hope Mickey tries something different for the paint pot trophy. I don't think he knows his best team selection yet and I'd like to see Dodds and Shuker play a part. Both are much derided on this site but they have good feet, good passing skills, and Dodds certainly, a good shot. He might want also to try Birchall whose performances last season combined Griff's tenacity with better passing skills and an eye for goal. It stands to common sense that it's better to ring the changes for a cup competition against lower league opponents than to experiment in league games where we need every point we can get.

Not downhearted yet but we need to get it right soon because this is an unforgiving league.

Overall i thought we played well. First half was relatively even and the second, Wolves' class showed through. However the result could of been a whole lot different if Lofty's header was to go in but we'll never know if that was to be the case.

I thought our ball retention wasnt good enough which was a negative. Way too many long balls to Popes head especially by Yates and the two centre halfs. Myrie Williams and Loft looked threatening from both flanks which was a positive. I also thought Neal could of maybe done better with the first two goals.

All in all, we have got to be more encouraged by the display than disheartened. Wolves have spent a whole lot of money on their side and were massive favourites. If we dont beat Carlisle however, i might start to worry.

Archived