onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Ebay help/advice

TylerB

Okay. I bought a phone for £350 last Friday from a seller on eBay. Today I received the 'next day delivery' package but inside there was nothing other than a note saying that she was sending the warranty separately, which I didn't see the reason for that. Nothing else at all. I really believe she did this just so that she has a tracking number she can give to eBay when the time comes. I then contacted her and she told me that she had included the phone and that somebody from Royal Mail had stolen it - likely story! The reason I don't believe her is that she had already messed me around before and promised me that I would get in on a certain day only not to. And the package hadn't been sellotaped back up or anything like that which would obviously look suspicious.

I can't open a case on the eBay resolution centre until Saturday which is to me is a bit ridiculous, especially when I'm 99.9% sure I'm being scammed. Does anyone know if there's anything else at all I can do in the meantime or any other way of going about getting my money back?

Many thanks!

Advert

Yeah, I paid via PayPal as always and I did look on their site for help. But from what I could see they pretty much just tell you to go through eBay.

I just find it silly and wrong that I have to wait another 4 days just to be able to start to do something about it, if this is the case.

If ebay or paypal fail to resolve this then you need to go citizens advice, you'll be supprised at the powers they have. They can take the case up for you and contact the companies directly and threaten them with all the legal stuff, hopefully it wont get that far though.

I sent the money to her within minutes of my buying the item, and it's well and truly gone from my bank account. She has messaged me since I made this thread to say that she would give me a refund this evening, but she's messed me around so much that I'm sure she'll come up with another excuse later.

If ebay or paypal fail to resolve this then you need to go citizens advice, you'll be supprised at the powers they have. They can take the case up for you and contact the companies directly and threaten them with all the legal stuff, hopefully it wont get that far though.

I'll keep that in mind, thanks.

Not sure but I think the money stays in paypal (an escrow account i think they call it) until you confirm receipt..or something like that

Paypal are probably your best way forward

From paypal.co.uk

"Keeping you safer when you buy

If an eligible item doesn’t arrive, or doesn’t match the seller’s description, our Buyer Protection can help you get all your money back, including post and packaging costs. Your purchases are also monitored 24 hours a day, seven days a week to help keep you protected from fraud. Buyer Protection doesn’t cover certain items (such as vehicles and services) or items that you buy in person. "

Good luck

I've always assumed, rightly or wrongly, that if you pay though PayPal or use Paypal and a credit card there is protection for the buyer. As the previous poster says call your credit card or paypal and the Royal Mail.

That just seems to be too easy a scam for there to be no protection for the buyer or no comeback on the seller.

The missus buys a lot of stuff off eBay, and we've have a fee issues over the years. However I've always gone through PayPal and opened a dispute with them, and never bothered with eBay (PayPal and eBay are owned by the same company I think anyway, but what's dispute is trying to sort it out between each other before escalating really). I've never had PayPal not refund me. Collect your evidence. The messages she has sent (saying it must have been stolen - that's still her responsibility to resolve it, so she has out herself in it ere already. And a message saying she was going to send them separate maybe), a photo of the package, etc. is there a weight of the package on the parcel? That should help. A tracking number doesn't prove she sent the item, it proves she sent a package.

No need for that now as she gave me a refund, although I ended up with £17 less than I paid. How I've been messed around and the excuses she's come up with, I think this person just wanted an interest free short-term loan, like she wanted to buy something on Friday and knew she wouldn't have the money herself until Tuesday for example.

I was just glad to get most of my money back so I don't have to wait weeks for eBay/PayPal to try and sort it all out.

Archived