onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Response from Bill Bratt

1977Valiant

Some of you may have seen my recent letter either on OVF or in the sentinel recently to Bill Bratt. I wrote it after Stoke beat Bolton at Wembley and have been waiting for a response since.

Yesterday I did finally get a response from Bill and I have since replied to him.

Some people stated in posts or have PM'd me that they think this deserves it's own thread so I will post the initial letter in my first post and the replies in subsequent posts.

Here goes...

------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Mr Bratt,

After seeing our near neighbours win 5-0 at Wembley this afternoon I feel compelled to contact you as it shows what one person in charge of a football club can actually achieve.

I feel, as do so many other Port Vale supporters, that not only this season but the last few seasons are our lowest ebb.*

We have seen a season which started with so much promise and hope pass us by and lie in tatters, while our near neighbours who are only 5 miles down the road bask in glory, a season in which, like Chesterfield, we should have already had sown up, but due to numerous on and off the field incidents this season mostly caused by you and your board (and I don't need to remind you what these are), we the loyal fans and life blood of Port Vale Football Club sit again facing another empty handed season, and another season in the bottom division.

I was raised within the ST6 postcode, I have supported Port Vale all my life, following us far and wide, spending thousand upon thousand of pounds watching the team I love like many of my friends, family and other supporters. I am both a Season Ticket holder and a Shareholder and after having a season ticket for over 20 years, I would like to inform you that this season is my last until you and the board are gone. I am not the only one to feel this way either as I sit with may other likeminded fans.

You (v2001) had a chance to redeem yourselves over Christmas when we were 2nd in the league table and when Mo first had an opportunity to invest, which would have been in time for the January transfer window, but you and your board declined like so many times in the past, so the January transfer window passed us by and we now look to finish outside the playoffs.*

So our failure this season is down to you and your board, a board who have made bad decisions, a board who are completely torn and indecisive, a board who are as far detached from the fans, as Port Vale are divisions from our neighbours Stoke, so I urge you for the sake of the club and our fantastic fans, please, please admit defeat and consider the bid from "The Port Vale Consortium" and help take the club forwards, otherwise v2001 will be the ones who will be responsible for putting the club that I and so many care for out of business.

I hope that this email does not fall on deaf ears, as today we have seen what can be achieved with a little desire and ambition.

Yours faithfully,

Advert

This is Bills response to my initial email:-

-----------------------------------

Dear,

Thank you for your email of 17th April 2011.

I didn’t watch the Stoke semi-final, but do congratulate them on their excellent performance and achievement.

As you say, that shows what one person in charge of a football club can actually achieve – when that person is someone of the high calibre of Peter Coates.

On the other side of the coin, it is also possible to see what one person in charge of a football club can actually achieve in the cases of, just for a few examples, –

Keith Haslam (Mansfield)

Douglas Craig (York)

John Batchelor (York)

Darren Brown (Chesterfield)

Stephen Vaughan (Chester City, R.I.P)

Etc, etc, etc, etc, etc.

I understand what you and others say, when you support the individual and then joint bids from Mr Chaudry to take over control of Port Vale.

And I respect the sincerity with which you hold those views.

However, we would ask you equally to respect the fact that we hold opposing views.

Each member of the Board has independently formed the view that they do not and will not support Mr Chaudry’s bid to take overall or joint control of Port Vale.

And we have done so for a number of well-founded and rational reasons, based on our analysis of Mr Chaudry’s present and history.

On the football front, I agree with you that the season has ended in a very disappointing manner, after such a promising start.

But I would say that it is more than a little unfair to blame the board entirely for that outcome.

The board certainly didn’t initiate SUFC’s bid for Micky Adams, and we certainly went every step of the way to try to persuade Micky to turn it down and stay to complete his work at Port Vale, as Micky himself would confirm.

Contrary to much popular opinion, the Board is entirely ready and willing to stand down for prospective investors whom we believe will take the club forward in the proper manner.

We are actively working to progress such investment.

I hope that you and your family have a great summer and that you do decide that you will once more take out season tickets (at the fantastic renewal price available until the end of April) so that you can all again enjoy [ sometimes : ) ] watching our team next season.

Up the Vale!

Best regards,

Bill

This is the response that I have sent back to Bill:-

-----------------------------------------------

Dear Bill,

Thank you for your response.

I like the vast majority of Vale fans do respect the views of both yourself and the board as everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

I also appreciate all the efforts that you and your fellow V2001 board members have put into the club over the years since you took over in 2003, but I feel that the V2001 board is currently in a situation where by you have managed to obtain enough money to buy a Rolls Royce, but you don’t have enough money to insure it, tax it or fill it with fuel, which correct me if I am wrong is not an ideal situation for the club to be in.

By your own admission you have previously released statements in the media such as “V2001 has taken the club as far as it can” and “The club is always on the look out for investment” and I can appreciate that you have to be cautious about any potential investor, but if these statements are true then surely you have to take a leap of faith at some point.

I have to admit like many other fans initially I was sceptical of Mr Chaudry as I did not know enough about either the man or his bid. Therefore I decided to keep an open mind and attend Mr Chaudry’s meeting in Baddeley Green to see what he had to say. After attending the said meeting I felt that Mr Chaudry had a well thought out plan for the future of the club and, as a local business man he would be accountable should anything go wrong as he still has to live and work in the area.

At this point I was not entirely won over by Mr Chaudry, as I know that people can tell you what you want to hear, but after reading Mr Chaudry’s “A window of opportunity” literature and seeing the support he has from numerous long standing Vale fans such as Phil Taylor, Jonathan Wilkes, former V2001 director Mike Thompstone, Martin Foyle & sponsor Mark Sims to name a few, all of whom only want the best for the club, I feel that this is too good an opportunity to miss. It pains me to say it, but this is an opportunity that I feel that strongly about, I like many other fans and shareholders are prepared not to buy a season ticket for the forthcoming 2011/12 season.

I understand that any investments surrounding the club have to have confidentiality clause in place, but you also have to understand as both a shareholder and a long standing fan, I find it increasingly frustrating that we the shareholders and fans are constantly kept in the dark. I feel that the relationship that V2001 have with the fans is at an all time low, as the trust between the board and the fans is currently non-existent. If V2001 were to be a little more open with the fans and shareholders then V2001 would have a better rapport, therefore less discrepancies and misunderstandings would come out of the club and, everyone would understand at least some of what is going on within the club and feel less frustrated.

As an example of this you and the rest of the V2001 board obviously know Mr Sims personally, due to his previous sponsorship with the club, so why do the V2001 board now not seem to trust Mr Sims..? Why has Mr Sims or Mr Chaudry not received a response to their 24.9% investment offer..? If you have indeed responded to Mr Sim’s or Mr Chaudry then why has no official statement come out of the club..?

You also pointed out that the V2001 board has well-founded and rational reasons as to why you do not support Mr Chaudry, whether this is for overall or joint control of the club, but would you be willing to enlighten us as to what these rational and well-founded reasons are, other than we simply don’t trust Mr Chaudry..?

This just scratches the surface as to why there has been so much discontent surrounding the club, which has undoubtedly had an effect both on and off the pitch this season, discontent that has effected the fans, shareholders, manager(s), players and I am sure the board alike.

On another note, I would like you and the V2001 board to know that I am appalled at what your families have subjected to recently through the mail and, in my opinion these people can not be regarded as true Vale fans. They are certainly are not any part of what either the Black & Gold or starve em’ out campaigns are about, as these campaigns are always meant to be organised in a peaceful and law abiding manor and this sort of behaviour should not be tolerated.

I hope for the sake of the club that we all care so much about, that during the closed season the fans, shareholders, V2001, Mr Chaudry and Mr Sims can all put all of this sorry mess behind us and reach an amicable agreement at the forthcoming EGM, so Port Vale Football Club has a brighter 2012 and future.

I would once again like to thank you for finding the time to read and reply to the concerns that not only I have, but the concerns that are shared by the vast majority of fellow Vale fans.

Many Thanks,

Kind Regards,

You have not told us about his reply. Your letter is a good one but in truth is just highlighting what we well 99% already know.

Tell us more please.

It was posted on stupers "My Letter" thread Old Sage, which is why I put it in a thread of it's own.

Cheers

A fair enough reply from Bill. I just wish the board would publically state the reasons why they have turned down Mo's potential take over and then let the fans and all the shareholders decide for the future of the club. We are not going anywhere with this current board and if Mo is not the right person to take over this club they must find someone who is before next season.

Fair call and well done BB for replying.

Each member of the Board has independently formed the view that they do not and will not support Mr Chaudry’s bid to take overall or joint control of Port Vale.

And we have done so for a number of well-founded and rational reasons, based on our analysis of Mr Chaudry’s present and history.

So what are these well-founded and rational reason's?

If we were told what these reasons are then we might come to the same conclusion.

Archived