onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Rotherham's New York Stadium.

Mark-Valiant

Just been on their forum again & noticed a thread relating to their new Stadium. The New York Stadium. Their Chairman/owner Tony Stewart was interviewed & has said that he's pumped £30million into the club over the last 5 years, which includes £20million for the stadium.

What caught my eye was the fact that in the interview it states that Mr Stewart Leases the ground to the club, so it doesn't actually belong to Rotherham United Football club & club & ground are in fact seperated. So what i was thinking was, what happens if Tony Stewart decides he's had enough of football/Rotherham & decides to sell the club? What happens to the ground? I don't see him selling it to anyone as he's talking about building a gym, hotel next to it too.

There seems to be a slight concern on their message board relating to this, so i've posted the link underneath the article.

What do you think? Should Rotherham fans be concerned about this? Could it all turn a bit messy in the future for them?

TONY Stewart last night revealed he has ploughed around £30m into Rotherham United since taking charge five years ago.

The Millers, in their first season at the state-of-the-art New York Stadium, are on the verge of clinching promotion from League Two after a barnstorming run-in.

Four successive wins have pushed United two points clear of the chasing pack with just one game remaining, meaning a draw at home to rock bottom Aldershot Town on Saturday should be enough to end the club’s six-year stint in the basement division.

For Stewart, promotion would represent a personal vindication of the money he has poured into the club since taking over in 2008.

A succession of managers have been handed substantial wage budgets way above the average in League Two, while Stewart, the owner of Rotherham-based ASD Lighting, funded the building of United’s new £20m home.

Speaking exclusively to the Yorkshire Post ahead of this weekend’s sell-out clash with Aldershot, the Millers chief said: “I would say I have put in around £30m since first becoming chairman. I’ll admit I didn’t think it would be that high when I first came on board but there you are.

“I see it as an investment, not only on my behalf but also in the town of Rotherham. The stadium has quickly become an iconic feature of the town and one that greets all visitors to the town.

“For me, it creates a favourable impression for any new visitors to Rotherham and that has to be a good thing.”

The New York Stadium, built on the site of the town’s old Guest & Chrimes Foundry, will be filled to its 12,000 capacity for the visit of Aldershot after the final few tickets were snapped up on Monday morning.

Providing the Millers finish the job and clinch automatic promotion, the Football League’s newest venue will, come 5pm on Saturday, be staging a huge celebration party.

Stewart, as chairman, will be leading the way after taking charge when the club was at a low ebb.

In administration for the second time inside 18 months, Rotherham would soon be homeless after leaving Millmoor over a rent row. Four years were then spent in exile at the Don Valley Stadium – during which the club lost £1m per year – before they returned home last summer.

Stewart, who leases the New York Stadium to United, said: “I am proud of how far the club has come and pleased by how this season has gone. I have a positive attitude and have always believed we can achieve what we want to achieve if everyone truly believes. Moving to the new stadium has been the key. We could have built a smaller one but I wanted something that Rotherham as a town could be proud of.”

The next part of Stewart’s masterplan involves United pushing on towards the Championship along with the next phase of building work on the old Foundry site to get under way and bring his dream of building a hotel, gym and leisure facilities.

He added: “You have to think long-term, especially when it comes to investment.”

Here's the thread on their forum.

http://boards.footymad.net/forum.php?tno=450&fid=215&sty=2&act=1&mid=2112841950

Advert

rotherham have had their share of problems just like us,admin, the threat of liquidation, owners who should have been sectioned etc, makes you appreciate just how things have changed for the better,still don't like that cantankerous little barrel they have as manager but he's got them playing well so we'll have to suffer them in league 1,can't have everything can we?????????,;)

Just been on their forum again & noticed a thread relating to their new Stadium. The New York Stadium. Their Chairman/owner Tony Stewart was interviewed & has said that he's pumped £30million into the club over the last 5 years, which includes £20million for the stadium.

What caught my eye was the fact that in the interview it states that Mr Stewart Leases the ground to the club, so it doesn't actually belong to Rotherham United Football club & club & ground are in fact seperated. So what i was thinking was, what happens if Tony Stewart decides he's had enough of football/Rotherham & decides to sell the club? What happens to the ground? I don't see him selling it to anyone as he's talking about building a gym, hotel next to it too.

There seems to be a slight concern on their message board relating to this, so i've posted the link underneath the article.

What do you think? Should Rotherham fans be concerned about this? Could it all turn a bit messy in the future for them?

TONY Stewart last night revealed he has ploughed around £30m into Rotherham United since taking charge five years ago.

The Millers, in their first season at the state-of-the-art New York Stadium, are on the verge of clinching promotion from League Two after a barnstorming run-in.

Four successive wins have pushed United two points clear of the chasing pack with just one game remaining, meaning a draw at home to rock bottom Aldershot Town on Saturday should be enough to end the club’s six-year stint in the basement division.

For Stewart, promotion would represent a personal vindication of the money he has poured into the club since taking over in 2008.

A succession of managers have been handed substantial wage budgets way above the average in League Two, while Stewart, the owner of Rotherham-based ASD Lighting, funded the building of United’s new £20m home.

Speaking exclusively to the Yorkshire Post ahead of this weekend’s sell-out clash with Aldershot, the Millers chief said: “I would say I have put in around £30m since first becoming chairman. I’ll admit I didn’t think it would be that high when I first came on board but there you are.

“I see it as an investment, not only on my behalf but also in the town of Rotherham. The stadium has quickly become an iconic feature of the town and one that greets all visitors to the town.

“For me, it creates a favourable impression for any new visitors to Rotherham and that has to be a good thing.”

The New York Stadium, built on the site of the town’s old Guest & Chrimes Foundry, will be filled to its 12,000 capacity for the visit of Aldershot after the final few tickets were snapped up on Monday morning.

Providing the Millers finish the job and clinch automatic promotion, the Football League’s newest venue will, come 5pm on Saturday, be staging a huge celebration party.

Stewart, as chairman, will be leading the way after taking charge when the club was at a low ebb.

In administration for the second time inside 18 months, Rotherham would soon be homeless after leaving Millmoor over a rent row. Four years were then spent in exile at the Don Valley Stadium – during which the club lost £1m per year – before they returned home last summer.

Stewart, who leases the New York Stadium to United, said: “I am proud of how far the club has come and pleased by how this season has gone. I have a positive attitude and have always believed we can achieve what we want to achieve if everyone truly believes. Moving to the new stadium has been the key. We could have built a smaller one but I wanted something that Rotherham as a town could be proud of.”

The next part of Stewart’s masterplan involves United pushing on towards the Championship along with the next phase of building work on the old Foundry site to get under way and bring his dream of building a hotel, gym and leisure facilities.

He added: “You have to think long-term, especially when it comes to investment.”

Here's the thread on their forum.

http://boards.footymad.net/forum.php?tno=450&fid=215&sty=2&act=1&mid=2112841950

Why have you gone to so much trouble (and taken so much time) for another club ? Your motive(s)?

Bea,

Only took 15 mins (copy & paste) ;) Another club? Because it's "other footy" section.

No, i just wondered what the implications would be if the owner were to leave Rotherham with the club being separated from the ground?

For example Coventry. It's been widely reported in the news that they owe around £1.3million in rent to the owners of the Rioch, & they're refusing to pay it. I was just wondering if there could be a similar situation that could arise in this situation too, if Tony Stewart were to leave?

How much rent would Tony Stewart ask for? etc, etc & should it be a concern to Rotherham fans? Looking at their forum, some are concerned as i think they thought it was to be paid off as a mortgage, but that doesn't seem to be the case?

Plus i was a tad bored. :D

For example Coventry. It's been widely reported in the news that they owe around £1.3million in rent to the owners of the Rioch, & they're refusing to pay it.

The current theory is that SISU (the hedge fund that owns Coventry) is withholding rent in order to force the stadium company into administration so they can buy the ground cheaply.

Coventry City Council stepped in to give some financial help. You'd think that the owners of the club would have welcomed it but it turns out they're now objecting to it on the basis that it's 'illegal state aid'.

It's all very odd.

Just a fair question, which he has answered. The paranoia is all yours for attacking my unloaded question owd trumper.

Fair doos.

Just thought it a bit strange.

Someone started a thread on Bayern Munich you know. Why? Whats their interest?

An Accrington Stanley supporter wished us well on our promotion. Why? Whats their interest?

Somebody has been reading articles on Tony Pulis and his alter ego then started a thread. Why? Whats their interest?

See where im going with this?

But eh, turn it round on me.

Theyt a strange one Bea.

Fair doos.

Just thought it a bit strange.

Someone started a thread on Bayern Munich you know. Why? Whats their interest?

An Accrington Stanley supporter wished us well on our promotion. Why? Whats their interest?

Somebody has been reading articles on Tony Pulis and his alter ego then started a thread. Why? Whats their interest?

See where im going with this?

But eh, turn it round on me.

Theyt a strange one Bea.

You have to admit that if you look at the opening post, it's a little more complex and detailed (and hardly pub banter) than 'Hey, werent Bayern ***** hot last night' or someone posting a one-line congrats on our promotion.

I'm not too far from that stadium so have heard a few things myself, and wondered in particular about the 'should Rotherham fans be concerned about this' which really sounds like an invite to stir up all sorts, at the very least it looks out of place on here. Would we be happy if Crewe fans were posting a similar thing about Vale on their message boards ? Maybe not.

You have to admit that if you look at the opening post, it's a little more complex and detailed (and hardly pub banter) than 'Hey, werent Bayern ***** hot last night' or someone posting a one-line congrats on our promotion.

I'm not too far from that stadium so have heard a few things myself, and wondered in particular about the 'should Rotherham fans be concerned about this' which really sounds like an invite to stir up all sorts, at the very least it looks out of place on here. Would we be happy if Crewe fans were posting a similar thing about Vale on their message boards ? Maybe not.

Bea,

My intentions were completely innocent & not intended to "stir up all sorts". It's what's being debated on their own forum by their own fans.

I just thought it was interesting that Tony Stewart was charging rent on the ground & was surprised by it. I'd be concerned if it was us. If he gets bored & decides to walk away, he could, as i understand it sell the club for X amount, but still own the ground as a different company (be their landlord). That would mean the new owners of Rotherham football club would be paying Stewart rent for, well for ever, or until he decides to sell the ground back to the club. But why would he want to sell if he's getting a tidy amount in rent year upon year? Not to mention all the monies the commercial activities the ground would make for him too?

Gordon Gibb was charging Bradford City £1.3million per year in rent up until 2010. Kassam charges Oxford United 400k per year. Coventry's situation as been well documented & so on.

I was just asking the question, should Rotherham fans be worried knowing that the ground, doesn't in theory belong to the club?

I don't know the answers, that's why i was asking on here. Just thought people with better knowledge on these type of situations may know & that it may produce some healthy debate, that's all.

Crewe have posted plenty on their message board. Are you actually suggesting we shouldn't talk about this because we might stir up trouble for Rotherham? Really?

Damn the pesky trouble causing OVF!

Archived