onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Have we improved since Gannon left?

deantaberner

The players have to take a share, they are clearly not very good/a set of wasters unless there is a manager in place who can get the best out of extremely mediocre professionals at League Two level(ie Adams).

However you could argue that is a pre-requisite for the majority of clubs in the lower leagues unless someone bankrolls the club or you have a massive fanbase that sets you apart from the other sides in the league anyway so you can buy better than average players.

It's the board's responsibility to get a good enough manager to achieve this, ours have failed miserably 3 maybe even 4 times out of 5.

Advert

7 games after Gannon's departure - 7 points

Port Vale 1-2 Stockport

Torquay 0-0 Port Vale

Port Vale 1-1 Southend

Chesterfield 2-0 Port Vale

Port Vale 2-1 Lincoln City

Port Vale 0-0 Bury

Port Vale 1-1 Hereford

7 games before Gannon's departure - 10 points

Accrington Stanley 3-0 Port Vale

Port Vale 1-2 Oxford Utd

Shrewsbury 2-2 Port Vale

Port Vale 2-1 Macclesfield

Aldershot 1-2 Port Vale

Port Vale 1-3 Stevenage

Port Vale 2-1 Bradford

So on the face of it we haven't improved whatsoever and have actually regressed, didn't exactly have to be Nostradamus to predict this though.

Gannon was right the players weren't good enough to last the pace at the top of the league and this would have happened with Gannon or not.

Horsfield should have gone after busgate and Gannon should have been allowed to bring in his own choice of assistant manager and given until the end of the season - that was the sensible course of action but no we went and got rid of the manager and appointed the youth team coach as manager who had a disastorous previous reign as caretaker, known for publically criticising the players and he went and did exactly the same yesterday - again didn't have to be Nostradamus to predict that.

I can see your point, however Gannon could fall out with an empty room, he's a horrible individual and had to go! In fact should never have been appointed in the first place had vale actually done their homework.

I do agree with the assistant point though, this has been a problem at Vale for too long(Sinnott however bad he may have been was hampered by it) Every other club seems to clear the decks whenever a manager leaves. Vale still have the old pals act in abundance!

As someone said to me at Torquay, why is Grew still at the club? He should have gone long ago, remember that rant at Orient a few years back? Like something out of non-league!

Again the buck stops with the board though! Oh the irony of what Lee Sinnott said that day 'root to branch':rolleyes:

We certainly haven't.

I thought Gannon was a lunatic but the players have proven that it wasn't just his fault. Our big players have definately gone into an end of season lull.

Lee Colllins looks a world away from the player he was. Looks shaky and gets caught in posession. Cost us a goal or two against Stevenage and Southend. Looks unfit, is he in with the Gary Roberts mob a bit too much?

Gary Roberts, despite what some would have you believe, hasn't had anything like a good game for about 6 months. Don't give me Northampton either when he came on and gave a bit of a "**** you Gannon" display with a few hollywood passes. I would get rid in the summer and bring in someone more hungry and committed.

Marc Richards, I am a massive fan of Marc and would not want him to go. But his form has totally deserted him. That chance yesterday and those against Bury would have been well and truely buried before Christmas.

We need a takeover and a proper managerial appointment this summer.

If not, I really fear for us next year.

The problem is the lads were fit and well organised under Adams. They had belief in themselves.

Gannon ripped that out of them and destroyed their fitness, two things that are hard to re-install.

Grew isn't good enough to manage them but he was always going to have an uphill battle. I do however question a few of his tactics. I've still not seen anything from Dodds to make me believe he should be starting over Rigg, and no matter what bringing off Rob Taylor was stupid yesterday even if he was tiring a little.

No, we haven't improved since Gannon left... that's obvious by looking at the points gained and the performances. However, I for one didn't really expect the quality to suddenly improve; this bunch of players don't have anywhere near enough quality. MA got these to the top end of a poor division by organising them properly, playing to their limited strengths and making sure that if we did score, it would be enough to get us at least get us 1 point. Gannon's ideal of playing carpet football (Arsenal, Barcelona etc) was very laudable but totally impractical with these talentless players in Div.4

And with Grew in charge and helping select the retained list... we will have no chance next season. Big changes MUST be made.

The problem is the lads were fit and well organised under Adams. They had belief in themselves.

Gannon ripped that out of them and destroyed their fitness, two things that are hard to re-install.

Grew isn't good enough to manage them but he was always going to have an uphill battle. I do however question a few of his tactics. I've still not seen anything from Dodds to make me believe he should be starting over Rigg, and no matter what bringing off Rob Taylor was stupid yesterday even if he was tiring a little.

The players have a responsibility to keep themselves fit.

We need a takeover and a proper managerial appointment this summer.

If not, I really fear for us next year.

Agree, as I've posted in a different thread.

I do actually think there's been a marginal improvement in our play since Gannon left but it hasn't brought any increase in the average number of points gained, as has been pointed out earlier. However, I think Mark Grew made some interesting points in his post match interview about players not doing as they'd been asked or shown in training, plus there being a lack of leadership within the team. Adams made similar points earlier in the season, especially when he questioned their ability to handle being top of the league. All this indicates there are some fundamental problems within the playing squad.

None of this will ever get sorted without some financial investment and that won't be forthcoming from the present board who are extracting a lot more than they've put in. Our average gate is one of the best in the division so there is absolutely no excuse for us having a worse team than Accrington Stanley, a club operating on at least a third of Vale's income. The amount of money that's been wasted by the current regieme is mind boggling; just consider how much has been thrown down a grid on paying up useless players' and failed managers contracts, plus, no doubt, associated legal fees.

Personally I don't particularly favour Mo Chaudry's bid but currently it's the only one on offer but I do think the club is presently so badly managed no change of ownership means a slide into non-league football for us.

I don't buy this fitness excuse - they have a duty to keep themselves fit

They would have a usual regime to stick to however if your hours on the training pitch are done in a different manner it is always going to affect you. From what I gather they'd have had to double their training time every week to stay as fit under Gannon as they did under Adams because it was all slow tempo stuff. That is impractical.

Gannon wasn't a problem on the pitch, we did alright some of the time - he had a lot of issues to deal with (some he didn't deal with well, granted), his problem was that he came to a club where fans were already angry, and he got off to a bad start so the fans never warmed to him, not helped by his lack of people skills.

If he came in the summer, built his own team and we'd just finished at the bottom of the league, then he'd probably do much better.

Grew is not the answer, and is completely out of his depth.

They would have a usual regime to stick to however if your hours on the training pitch are done in a different manner it is always going to affect you. From what I gather they'd have had to double their training time every week to stay as fit under Gannon as they did under Adams because it was all slow tempo stuff. That is impractical.

Don't they train from 9 30 until 12? God forbid they had to work until 3/half 3 every day!

I have never read so much tripe in my life, if adams had stayed this team would still not make the playoffs, mourinho would not get this squad promoted, take off your rose tinted glasses and face the truth, this squad is a joke, thank god tomorrow it is all over when stevenage beat us.

Archived